About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Happy New (smoke free!) Year   Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jan-2 by MarthaJC; 379 views.
MarthaJC

Jan-2

This is my first time starting a discussion, and couldn't figure out how to post in the November 2021 Ex-Smokers folder.  I am SO grateful to have found this forum! I quit smoking on November 28th, the day I came down with Covid. (Yes, fully vaccinated....) The illness made me feel so lousy for a few days that I didn't notice any nicotine withdrawal! I'm 62 years old and have smoked on and off since my teens. This time I am completely surrendering to the fact that I am an addict and can't have one puff. I am grateful every single day to wake up and not smoke. Cravings come and go. I ignore them and they have no power. I am learning from all of you and wish you all success with your quit!

Anne2020

Jan-4

Well done Martha

Quitting smoking is the best think you can do for yourself.  You will feel and look younger, you will gain so much self confidence it is amazing.  Your health will improve in leaps and bounds and, you will experience life in a brand new light.

What better gift to give yourself.

It looks like you are starting your 6th week.  Congratulations!!!  The first 3 days and 3 weeks are the toughest by far.  All that relentless friction to overcome the addiction.  Hopefully you are starting to feel a bit more freedom from cravings.  Perhaps you have experienced a period of forgetting all about smoking.  These periods of 'peaceful existence' will expand and proliferate as you grow into your smoke free lifestyle.

You will find some excellent material in the library and in the discussions listed on the left of this site.  Many have found that reading and participating on this site has gotten them through their quit.      

Stick with us and post any time.  We are here to support and encourage you on your journey.

Cheers!

MarthaJC

Jan-6

Thank you for your wise and encouraging words! Yes, I have already had periods of forgetting all about smoking, and the cravings have subsided. They are still rough when they happen, but I know that's just part of the journey. I feel really good about quitting and will keep with this group!

Anne2020

Jan-6

Although the cravings at this stage seem intense, they do not last very long (less than 3 minutes).  That is a blessing.  It is a good idea to have distractions available to deal with these 'tsunamis crave waves', such as, an ice cold drinks, crunchy edibles, exercise such as a brisk walk is a great reliver especially in the snow, deep purposeful breathing in through the nose out through the mouth, a long hot shower or bubble bath, if you were so inclined.

I love ice cold root beer and, I also had a supply of Halls throat lozenges (cherry, black cherry and lemon).  The lozenges were particularly helpful when I was at work as they created a cool feeling on my throat when I inhaled which seemed to placate my agitation during crave waves.  

We would love to hear what you are using to ride out your crave waves.  

Keep up the great work  - you are going to love yourself for this.

Cheers!      

Lubbercat

Jan-7

Martha

Congrats on your quit.....sounds like you have a great attitude about all of it.  Just stay aware, those cravings will continue off and on for a long time.  Many of my slips were well after the time I thought I would never go back.

I am now at 5 months and stay constantly aware that those cravings (more like urges now) can come at any time!

Happy New year

MarthaJC

Jan-7

Your message comes at a good time. I work at a high school with students with special needs. Back to work after winter break and Omicron is wreaking havoc - DUH - we are "mask optional." As I was driving home today - I started thinking about how smoking was a major stress reliever for me these past two Covid years. I knew I was getting more and more sucked into the addiction, and I didn't give a rat's ass. Between politics and Covid it was perfectly lovely allowing myself any and all stress relievers, lol!  I'm still at the stage where any thoughts about smoking lead to a craving, so yeah ... I appreciate your words! Craving's long gone, it's a relaxing Friday night. Thank you for reaching out!