About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is hypnosis worthwhile?   Quit Support

Started Jan-23 by Jono (Ian568); 714 views.
Jono (Ian568)

Jan-23

I’m considering getting some hypnosis to ‘reprogram’ my brain to reduce cravings. Have others tried it and has it been successful? I’m interested to see if others have found good results or not.

JavaNY

Jan-23

A friend used Reiki to quit smoking, and it was successful for her. Reiki is not traditional hypnosis. I don't know much about it. 

Anne2020

Jan-24

I tried that a couple of times.  No effect whatsoever.  Total waste of money and time. 

What I did do that seemed to help I think, although I am not sure, is self hypnosis on a fairly regular basis.  You can find online hypnosis videos on You Tube.  Thing is, I tried it several times and nothing happened that I am aware of.  Yet, several months later, when I did quit, it happened so easily and out of the blue without any forethought.   Just woke up one morning and didn't smoke all day.  Then didn't smoke the next day either.  After three days, I decided to keep it up to a full on quit.  2 years plus have not passed.

So while I am sure that the couple of times I paid for hypnosis at a quit smoking clinic, several years ago (over 10 years), did not do anything for me at all.  The self hypnosis may have helped me in this quit, although I really cannot say one way or the other.

If you want to try hypnosis, I would recommend self hypnosis which you can find online and save yourself some money.

Cheers!

Jono (Ian568)

Jan-24

Thanks Anne, good to hear from experience. You will never know but your subconscious mind may have been influenced by the hypnosis years earlier which helped you quit years later. However I’ll check out YouTube videos first before spending any money.

In reply toRe: msg 2
Jono (Ian568)

Jan-24

Thanks for that. I would be surprised if Reiki worked but I’ve seen it used to ‘heal’ all sorts of ailments.

HerbSouth

Jan-24

Become a zombie?

JavaNY

Jan-25

I think it's one of these things you need to be a believer for it to work. My friend was. 

Anne2020

Jan-26

I totally agree with you Ian.  I think the self hypnosis helped.  It certainly didn't hurt.  But, it was definitely not instantaneous.  

Cheers

HerbSouth

Jan-26

Might turn you into a zombie lol!!!!!

Eve1973

Jan-27

I tried years ago…..2 times. And I really did want it to work…..but it didn’t.

I did like a meditation smoking thing. It helped some. It was comforting. But maybe if you use that and other stuff, it could help.

But agree……don’t waste money on the hypnosis