About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ready to quit    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started May-4 by DanDzl; 421 views.
DanDzl

May-4

Hi everyone, I’m Dan I’ve been smoking for about 15 years and I’m sick of it

im sick of it, I’m ready to end this cursed habit. I resent how much money it’s cost and how much it dictated my life, I got in contact with a local stop smoking program and together we are working on a gradual reduction plan with NRT.

I was smoking 25 a day and my first goal is to get it down to 15 and so on.

im a bit scared but I really want to quit I want to be able to buy things and go places not lose a quarter of my salary on this crap.

In reply toRe: msg 1
JavaNY

May-4

Welcome Dan. There is some good information on this sight and the members are always helpful. 

Everyone has a different plan and whatever works for them is a good plan. I think a gradual reduction can be hard as it delays the quit. But it doesn't hurt to try. What type of NRT are you looking at? I'm using an e-cig, it no longer has any nicotine in it. But there are people on this forum who have used most if not all of them. 

Paul

In reply toRe: msg 2
DanDzl

May-4

The program I’m in put together a kit together  consisting of 8 boxes of NRT patches (6 boxes of 21mg, 1 box of 14mg and 1 box of 7mg) + 4 boxes of NRT gum or lozenge as well as a coach to help me out it should arrive in a week or two :)

In reply toRe: msg 3
Lubbercat

May-5

Dan

I am a real fan of the patches but, I have always been told not to use them with smoking.  This can be very dangerous physically.  That being said, I can't say I never slipped with a patch on but, if it became more then a "slip" of 1 or 2, then I removed the patch.  I actually had really good luck with the patches and just passed 9 months quit.

Good luck to you.  Stay close to this forum and you will get tons of suggestions and ideas.  I will say that for me, the hardest part was always that first time walking away without those smokes on me......Best choice I ever made though.  Drink lots of ice water and have a list of reasons you are quitting on you to look at when you are struggling........also, when a craving hits, get up and do something else.......

Anne2020

May-5

Quit - cold turkey - that's it.  Don't buy any more.  Don't smoke anymore.  Just walk away from smoking and have no more to do with it.  Start your smoke free lifestyle right now.

In 3 days the nicotine is out of your system.   The rest is fighting with yourself whether to smoke or not.  This is mostly due to a change in the level of dopamine the brain creates.  When you smoked, your brain creates got a wack of dopamine which made you think you feel better.  But you can get the same wack of dopamine with exercise or eating your favorite treat (chocolate) or any other activity that makes you feel good.  Don't fight with yourself about smoking - just don't smoke and move on.  You will have to re-asset yourself with yourself from time to time (takes about a minute) whenever a so called craving pops up, but, as time moves on, this too shall pass.   You will feel the benefits of not smoking and no nicotine immediately and forever after - provided you do not smoke. 

You decide your lifestyle.      

Denim50

May-5

Hey Dan, 

Welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you join us. relaxed 

Some people do experience a fear of quitting. I'm leaving some articles here from our wonderful 'Quit Smoking Library' to provide you with some information to help you get started, including about that fear. I hope you'll take a look and read through them. 

We also have quit-buddies here on the forum who have quit in various ways, as you can see from the replies. Not everyone chooses the same method/option to quit. The important thing is to quit, however you choose to do it. As Lubbercat mentioned though, it is important not to smoke while using NRTs. The article I've posted here about NRTs will explain more about that. 

Quitting isn't easy but it is doable and it is so worth it, more importantly you are worth it. 

Have a great day. relaxed