About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

To me 2   Quit Support

Started Jun-26 by candrew; 12944 views.
candrew

Jul-7

I just ran into your June 28 post. Excellent job 1 year!

Every time I read about someone who has more than a few months 

it empowers me to think I can do the same.

Andrew

Loreficent

Jul-7

Good morning Andrew,

You can do the same! You are so far without smoking cigarettes. This is a positive thing! I know the pouches are still in use, and therefore you still get nicotine. This is not the same as smoking though. Try to think of it as a stepwise approach. You’ve cut the cord with the cigarette, now you will cut the cord with the pouches. You can. Do not let the inner addict allow you the lack of control to pick up a cigarette. That is the head game here. It’s easy to let yourself think “oh what’s the use? I may as well smoke a cigarette instead of use the pouch”. Focus on the links that are already broken. Think about how many mornings now you’ve had your coffee without a smoke, how many things you e already done that you used to do with a cigarette or have one right before or after. There are a lot of associations of the hand to mouth need that are broken! Keep moving the direction you are. Vow to yourself you will not go backwards. And don’t. 
I have to go find X’s one year post. Somehow I missed it. I was thinking it was a bit later in July she would make a year. 

Hang in there. You got this! 

candrew

Jul-7

Lore -

I'm with you all the way.  Just shy of 7 weeks that I have remained smoke-free. Not to say I am still not depending upon nicotine for relief - I think I need it - X says pitch the pouch (joke) and get on with my recovery - I am only prolonging the agony of defeat as I plant another pouch in my mouth. Ain't nothing like the real thing but it's all I have to fall back on. There is absolutely nothing that cigarettes/nicotine do/does for me. Nothing!

Good day,

Andrew

xvaper

Jul-7

That's the right attitude Candrew. 

You have to decide that you really want to quit and face the challenges head on. I never thought I would make it one year. There have been some bad cravings but ultinmaely I did not light up or go buy cigarettes. I just decided not to. It gets easier, I promiss. 

Nicotine and smoking does nothing for you but destroy your health and steal your money. It's a con. Refuse to continue being a victim for life of these murderers. You deserve better than that.

candrew

Jul-9

It's one of those mornings, woke up and meditated for a few minutes before heading to the kitchen for my first cup of coffee, plugged into a jazz channel with my headphones and danced in my chair. Oh boy, do I feel good!                       

Perfect time to have cigarette. I relate these kinds of feelings with having a smoke and understand that this is a very strong craving that I must fight. I don't need a smoke to feel good. As a matter of fact, if I did smoke it would only make me feel terrible and want another and another. You know the feeling. 

I am happy to be smoke-free this morning. I have won this battle today. 

Good day,

Andrew

Loreficent

Jul-9

Excellent news Andrew! 
I think it is fantastic that you post when feeling strong and positive. It feeds positive influence to your mind. Like so often, in a store or whatever, folks only speak to a manager when something goes wrong or service is bad. I make a point to do the opposite. I love to give positive feedback to workers and their bosses! It so often goes unsaid as human tendency seems to be to focus on the negative. When I do speak up, it is so obvious the delight that is brought to people. These are the things that fuel them to keep going! Hopefully it will help towards getting some hard working folks a raise too. If enough people spoke out about the good, it might! 
Well, same for us as individuals too. We are always at the ready to beat ourselves up over even our smallest of transgressions. Why? There is no growth or productivity from shame! Energy begets energy and it does so in whatever form it is put out. 
Today you are your own affirmation! It has come naturally from within. How wonderful is that? So wonderful. 
I wonder if at times we give the addict voice that we all have a tad too much credence. Not that it isn’t a very loud, boisterous voice mind you. We all know it is. We have other voices too. The addict’s tendency is to focus on the addict voice and tune the others out. It cannot be ignored for certain. But it can be acknowledged and told a few things (lord knows I’ve told mine some pretty colorful stuff joy ) . Today you acknowledged, tuned into some fantastic Jazz and danced! WoooHooo!!  What a beautiful choice you made. Wise self in control, choosing what all the rest of you wants. Empowering Andrew. 

Every day is different, but every day we have choices. The more we make positive choices on a conscious level, the more they become spontaneous and naturally occur. It’s true. 

Thank you for sharing Andrew. I’m certain the good energy will have a ripple effect, not only for you, but for others here. It did me! 
Dance Andrew dance! Dance as though no one is watching. 

Jerthie123

Jul-9

Andrew....

Like I know... You are a winner!  I am glad you danced off your craving.  And I am so glad that you know that one would only lead to another and another.  It is like, we think we want a smoke.  The feeling and the thought are so strong and wild. BUT! That is not us Andrew. It is the addiction.  Us? We KNOW that once we butt out we will feel worse.  The addiction craving goes satisfied. But us?  We are left feeling even more deflated than we did just a few anxious minutes ago! Andrew, you go on with your bad self.  You are in a good place... A very good place. Stay there Andrew and continue to build your momentum! You got this and so much more!

Jerthie123

Jul-9

Lorificent....

What a wonderful message. I especially reaped benefit from one of your previous messages, about how our society thrives so much on instant gratification.  That rings so true for the smoking addiction.  We want to rid ourselves of stress, anxiety, things to do. To rid ourselves of discomfort, instead of taking time to process emotions or make a list, we smoke, thinking that will be a fix to our problems-  Well, it is NOT a fix. It is NOT a solution.  It only makes us satisfied for a brief repose before we fall into that same awful feeling of anxiety and defeat for want of yet another!  I hate it!  I hate it, hate it, hate it.

I am still using the lozenges, but have been able to scale back to 6 a day instead of 10 a day. I honestly don't know why I still use these things. I hate that addiction controls me 6 times a day. I think where I am at a loss is that I still see lozenges as enjoyable. I hate them but a small part of me loves them. Sad but true.

To anyone else out here on their quit journey, know that any step you take towards not smoking is a step in the RIGHT direction!  Cutting down. NRT. Delaying each smoke... Until you can get to COLD TURKEY the ultimate goal.  Stay strong people. One baby step at a time.  We got this.

Loreficent

Jul-9

Thank you Jerthie!

Yes, our culture is pretty consuming. It takes a lot of work to step back and live consciously and with intention. Culture here is capitalistically built on consumerism and we allow ourselves to become victims of it’s folly. It starts when we are younger and groomed to believe we need so many of these things that are pitched at us. In so many aspects of our lives too! From junk food to prescription drugs. It all right there in our faces and we have over time become desensitized to the seductive sell and are lured into consuming. Big Tobacco has made a tremendous fortune based on this premise, and they continue to do so. Their edge is even more dangerous as they sell such an insanely addictive substance. 
The good news is, it really is all in our heads and we really do have control. It is painful to take that control, as we all know. And the addict within each of us digs in and screams and kicks and puts up a helluva fight when we attempt to take control. 
This is why I believe it is extremely important to do what Andrew did this morning. Become your own affirmation. There is NO one source outside of our mind that will be triumphant with quitting. There are aids to assist that are quite helpful for many ( I was one of those that NRT helped). But those too come with their pitfalls. It is about finding a balance somewhere inside. The addict cannot be ignored. Willpower alone will not sustain you. You must also nurture and tune into the other aspects of your mind and allow those wiser voices to govern. Those voices need sustenance as well. Not in the form of nicotine but in encouragement, acknowledgement, celebration, awareness, and many other things, but basically, they need to be given a space to have their voice. Focusing only on the self centered addict voice is an exercise in defeat. 
We are all capable. Because we are all so multifaceted! So so much beauty in that! Why choose to let one spoiled child within rule?  That spoiled child within is also trainable. It can be given new tools and healthy vices. It takes it a very very long time to accept those new positive things as sufficient, but, with awareness and patience, it does learn new things and is capable of letting old things go. I will never underestimate that addict piece though, no matter how long since it’s been given what it once loved so dearly. It will always be vulnerable to the lure of nicotine. We have these fond memories of so many times we indulged in enjoyment. Over time we learn to enjoy all of those things equally without nicotine. It takes time. But so far, that’s all we all really have. None of us knows how much, but, it’s all we have. 
Im working really hard to not be so influenced by so many wastes of time in our culture. It’s definitely getting easier.

Do what works for you Jerthie. Always move forward.

Dance! Dance dance dance!

candrew

Jul-9

Lore -

A wise woman indeed! Yea, it's so easy to stay in the negative. Lately I try to project positive energy with any interaction I have in life. Take it people, places and things, I am responsible for my reactions, be it good or bad. This is especially true when it comes to me. I am my biggest critic. I used to say that I have never been satisfied with much of anything in which is bull****. I am an intelligent, handsome, generous and caring man and have done some truly amazing things for myself and others. I love to build people up and make them feel good. Sometimes I think I could have been a motivational speaker like Tony Robbins. Maybe next life.

The power to affect change is within all of us. In my case it was simply a matter of focusing on the good stuff, ignoring the bad stuff and in my mind dance with this gift called life.

I've had several addictions in my lifetime. And I beat all of them except smoking tobacco. Goodby to smoking. 

Good day,

Andrew

CC to Jerthie123