About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2022 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jul-24 by Denim50; 6338 views.
Denim50

Jul-24

Welcome New Ex-Smokers

Congratulations on taking that all important first step with cessation - stubbing out the last cigarette and getting started.

Chances are you don't feel 'ready' to quit, and are experiencing a mixture of difficult emotions about it.

Try to relax.  You've found the best place for help. 

Getting Started with Cessation

Park yourself in front of your computer and read everything you can on this forum board. We encourage you to take the initiative to introduce yourself and post often. Sharing your journey with your new quit buddies and offering support to each other really helps.

This thread will serve as the meeting place for those of you who are quitting now, and when the month ends, we will move your 'home base' thread over to the Quit Buddies Unite folder, where you can continue to support each other. 

You can also return to the Introductions folder where you'll find the new Monthly Ex-Smoker thread for those coming along behind you.  Share the tips and encouragement that helped you during month one.  Not only will this help others, it will strengthen your resolve as well.

Start your reading here:  Homework for New Ex-Smokers

Additionally, the folder headings in gray on the left of the page under DISCUSSIONS house different topics.  Click on the gray heading to view the conversations held within.  When you finish with a folder, click on the drop down menu under DISCUSSIONS and select ALL to see all of the folders again.

Introductions/Newcomers Nook
A good place to start with numerous threads from new ex-smokers.

General Chit-Chat 
This is where you will find the daily NOPE thread.  NOPE stands for Not One Puff Ever, and members pledge NOPE on a daily basis.  Give it a try - you will probably find it helpful and empowering.

Quit Support
This is a good place to post for help when you need it ASAP. 

Dots(Weeks) and Stars (Months) Milestones and One Year and Beyond Milestones 
Read the accounts of people who are winning with cessation in these folders.

Quit Buddies Unite 
This folder is the home base for the groups who quit together.  This thread will move to that folder at the end of the first month.

Quit Smoking Library
Here you'll find member stories and links to important articles that will inform you about what to expect from smoking cessation.

The next 4 posts will give you additional info on how to navigate/post here.  Please read them and let us know if you have any questions.

An Educated Quit is a Success
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Denim50

Jul-24

Hey Overdoze, 

Congratulations on reaching three weeks smoke free yesterday. relaxedtada That's great! I apologize for being a day late getting this posted but I'm still so happy for you. I hope you've been enjoying a great weekend and have a wonderful week ahead. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

• Edited July 24, 2022 6:24 pm  by  Denim50
Denim50

Jul-24

Hey Ginger, 

Congratulations on three weeks smoke free today! relaxedtada I hope you're off celebrating your achievement. I'm so happy for you and Overdoze both. Both of you have made it that icky third week. Yay you! I hope you've had a terrific weekend and I wish you all the best as you move on toward your first smoke free month. 

Denim50

Jul-24

Hey Anthony, 

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, albeit busy. I look forward to seeing you back here when time permits. I hope you're off taking some more of those lovely pictures. Best wishes. 

Denim50

Jul-24

Hey Anthony, 

Thank you and, again, big congratulations on reaching that first smoke free milestone. relaxedtada 

You have a couple of July quit-buddies here. Overdoze quit on the 3rd and Ginger3077 quit on the 4th. I'm sure they'll be happy to have you join them. Ginger is celebrating today too. 

Ginger3077

Jul-24

Thanks Denim. Onward to one month

tonypfan

Jul-24

Hello, Ginger and Overdoze:  Denim told me your Quit dates are July 3 and 4, respectively.  Mine is July 17.  One week today.  I like that you are in the early but important phase of non smoking.  I just wanted to touch base with you two as I feel a kindred spiritedness due to our recent July Quit.  I’m glad you are remaining smoke free. Can you share with me what is your greatest tool you use to stay quit?  As for myself, I find perusing and posting this website is enormously helpful for me.  Also, I have been getting lots and lots of physical exercises  all week.  This helps to calm me down and I feel like I am repairing lung damage and what not by swimming 3 to 4 times a week and by bicycling 15 to 20 miles per day. Plus kayaking.  So that’s what I am doing and its working.  Best to you.  Hope to hear from you.  Anthony

CC to overdoze
overdoze

Jul-24

Exercise helps a lot to stay mentally sharp and improves self esteem. I have not unfortunately worked out in about a week cause we have serious rain storms and unbearable humidity here in Chicago, its miserable weather. I hope to start my walking and running regimen tomorrow. Keep up the great work. Yes i use working out as a tool also. 

Ginger3077

Jul-24

First of all. Congratulations on your quit. Exercising is a great way. I go to the gym 3 days feel great afterwards. I'm retired living in Arizona. I keep my mind off the death sticks by cross stitching and reading. Try getting a jigsaw puzzle for at night that will keep your mind busy. Keep posting and good luck. 

tonypfan

Jul-24

Ginger:  So your hobbies like cross stitching and reading are helping you to stay smoke free.  And good to hear you exercise 3 times weekly.  To me, exercise is just plain fun.  For me, I love doing it, it’s rarely a chore and almost always something I truly look forward to doing and the beneficial results afterwards are self evident.  Even as a smoker, I always kept up with my exercise.  But I never let anyone let on I was a smoker and therefore smoked only in my own company and never in public.  I was embarrassed that an exercise aficionado like myself was a smoker.  So I kept it to myself for many many years.  Funny how smoking insinuated itself to my otherwise healthy life style.  Death sticks, for sure, Ginger.  I could could myself down the alley for all the years I smoked.  Damn, how foolish of me, who is an otherwise fairly intelligent man.  Anyway, I’m on the right path now and I want this Quit of mine to stick this time.  Thanks for sharing.