About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2022 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started Jul-24 by Denim50; 9076 views.
In reply toRe: msg 124
tonypfan

Sep-11

Hi, All:  Hope everyone is doing well and remaining faithful to their Quit. In one week it will have been two months since my Quit. I couldn’t feel any better or prouder. After falling so often within only hours of my firmer Quits I’m truly gratified I’m still on the Path. 

that being said I congratulate all of you for staying with this forum. For me it’s become my lifeline to a some free existence. 

JavaNY

Sep-11

Great to hear Tony,

Regards all,

Paul

Denim50

Sep-11

Have a great day. relaxed 

Denim50

Sep-11

Ginger3077

Sep-12

Thanks Denim. Next week I will be visiting friends. On the 24th we're going to Laughlin nv to see Dionne Warwick in concert. Getting excited about getting out of town for a couple of weeks. Take care

Denim50

Sep-12

Hey Ginger, 

I'm sure you must be excited. That is a treat! What a great way to celebrate and to just have a bit of fun! I'm so happy for you. That sounds wonderful. I hope you all have a terrific time at the concert and throughout your two week trip. I also hope you all make a lot of wonderful, new, and happy memories together. I wish all of you safe, happy, and fun travels. 

In reply toRe: msg 125
tonypfan

Sep-28

Hello, Delphi non smokers:  October 17 will be my three month anniversary.  I am doing amazingly well.  But today I woke up wanting a cigarette.  How pernicious those smoking thoughts/urges.  They want to bring me down back into the deathly smoking chain.  I find that in spite of myself I am romancing a smoke by saying to myself:  Wow, wouldn’t it be nice to have a smoke now.?  No one will know.  I am alone on a private retreat.  I can smoke out in the woods so no one will know.  Only I will know and , of course, I can smoke the entire pack of Marboro Reds, and begin again tomorrow.  

I have done the above countless times with the end result I go out and have those smokes but instead of quitting the next day I run out and buy another pack promising I will quit the next day.  

I would love to hear your comments on how I can best rid myself of that temporary craving.  Just writing it takes the edge off.  

I NEED YOUR HELP.  I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE ONE CIGARETTE.  I KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN.  DURING MY PRIVATE RETREAT I WILL MAKE TIME TO KEEP ON POSTING AND TIME TO READ YOUR ENCOURAGING POSTS.  

THANK YOU FOR YOUIR HELP.  ANTHONY

Anne2020

Sep-28

DISTRACT - breath deeply, three deep breaths and go find something else to do.  Drink some ice cold water  - have a popsicle.  Cold water pop really helps to change the taste into your mouth.   

It is not ok to smoke, not even one puff, let alone a whole cigarette.  It doesn't matter who knows.  You are quitting smoking for yourself not for anyone else.  You will know and you cannot fool yourself.  You have to face yourself.  You are retraining yourself.  These thoughts are the best opportunity to teach yourself that you are in control and you no longer smoke.

If you smoke, you will be right back to wishing you were where your are right now.  The thoughts you are having are normal and will come and go for the rest of your non-smoking life.  Get used to winning out over them.  Every time you win out over these thoughts, you are building your resistance muscles toward a lifetime of not smoking.  This you have to do every single day for the rest of your life.  Because, you are an addict.  

Cheers!

• Edited September 28, 2022 4:44 pm  by  Anne2020
tonypfan

Sep-28

Anne:  You write the truth when you remind us we are addicts.  Nicotine addiction, for sure.  It’s the sleeping wild dog, so to speak.  It’s waking up now after being in abeyance the past 2.5 months.  Now it wants to smoke its cigarette.  

I am exercising my warrior muscle, for lack of a better word.  Reaching out to the Delphi community is saving my bacon big time.  Reading your rapid response made me feel so much better.  And so much more in control of this current situation.  Yes, its definitely a testing ground.  I refuse to cave in to these craves.  They do in fact  pass.  Already they have lost their ferocity by the mere fact of inviting them in so we on this forum can have a look at that addictive impulse.  I feel confident I will not smoke while I am on retreat.  I will, however, visit this website a little more often to rebuild up my muscle mass.  Thanks a lot for your well crafted and sincere response.  Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Sorry I am a couple of days late on your post and hope everything went well for you on your retreat.  Most importantly, I hope you did not give in to the cravings.  Anne gave you some excellent advice and I'm sure it helped you push through it.

Three months was a very difficult time for me.  I had the same thoughts as you.  Maybe I'm solid enough in my quit to just have one.  That is the junky thoughts talking to you.  I made this mistake in every other quit I had and one led to thousands.  And my quit was over.  All the receptors in your brain that you have shut down in your 3 months of quit all FIRE UP in your first inhale.  They all come back to life and you are starting at square one again.  I'm sure you've seen this article but it is worth reading time and time again.

Hope you enjoyed your retreat and are still solid in your quit.  Talk to you soon!