About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

July 2022 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/24/22 by Denim50; 10216 views.
tonypfan

8/5/22

Lore:  I am sending this message only to you, and not to the entire forum.  I have some poems to share with you.  I am a poet.  For 4 years I was the volunteer poetry curator for Multnomah County Library.  I have published and edited a highly successful anthology of west coast poets in 2012 called Faultlines.  The Pdx library has two copies in their poetry collection. And now I am working on a book of my own poetry.  It will be titled A Reluctant Disciple:  Prayer Poems.  It is quite a project but a necessary one for me.  

I want to give you my email.  Tonypfan@aol.com.  And would appreciate having yours.  For some reason I do not want forum members to see my poems.  It is not relevant to smoking or not smoking.  But I have a hunch you would appreciate my poems.  I will address your nice post to me in my next email to you.  Hope this is ok with you. 

Today it is going to warm up to 73 degrees.  Yippie.  Betsy and I are avid kayakers.  So I have the kayak on our Subaru and we are this afternoon taking it to Willipa Bay, only 1.5 miles from our beach house for a water adventure.  Love waster energy.  We took our morning swim already at our local pool.  So for sure this is a total water day.  Way too much fun living on the Long Beach Peninsula.  Everything is so easy here compared to Pdx.  Looking forward to hearing from you.  

Anthony. (I, in fact, prefer Anthony though most people call me Tony.  Oh, well!!  

tonypfan

8/5/22

Andrew: What a nice post you wrote.  You, too, have a way with words.  I am very happy and impressed with your earnest and sincere desire to quite smoking.  Yes, it sure as hell is not easy for any of us.   You are one who never gives up.  So jump back ln the saddle.  You can do it.  We all can do it.  We have each other to help us quit this addiction.   Have a wonderful day, Andrew.

Loreficent

8/5/22

Thank you Anthony, and it’s nice to know the name preference. 
I would love to read your poetry! Thank you so much for the willingness to share. 
I’ll send an email now.

Your day planned sounds fantastic! Mine is a bit on the boring side. I want so bad to go to the coast this weekend as the temps edge up toward 100° again. I just know the traffic will be a huge stress and hassle, not to mention that lately I don’t like driving back in the dark. Mostly I worry about other people’s disregard and drinking habits. Years in Emergency Medicine do that to you. I just checked last minute rooms at different places along the coast and they are ridiculous amounts. I do have places there that I’ve hiked in with a small pack and sleeping bag and thoroughly enjoyed my nights alone under the stars. Something in my gut is telling me not to do that this weekend, and I usually pay pretty good attention to those feelings. So maybe I’ll look East toward the mountain for a quick getaway. 
Speaking of…one night my partner and I were driving back from the Coast around 11pm and had just gotten over the Coast Range pass and came around a curve. There ahead in the road, maybe not even a hundred yards ahead, was a Cougar who stopped when it saw my lights. I hadn’t been going fast just coming out of one of the curves. She stood there, transfixed by my headlights and I came to a stop as I was transfixed by the green reflection of her eyes back at me. There was about a 10 second stillness and silence and I had this incredible feeling of awe. Then she sauntered across the road and leapt up the bank on the other side and disappeared into the tall grass. My partner looked at me and said “wow”. He and I were both silent for the next 5 minutes or so as we both realized what an incredible and very rare witnessing of such a great and majestic creature we had been so serendipitously been blessed with. Incredible. Her tail? Wow. It was amazing all of it. I will never forget her as her image was seared into my heart instantly. That sighting was such a gift. 

Have a fabulous day on the water! I’m jealous.

In reply toRe: msg 88
tonypfan

8/6/22

Hello to all members of this forum:  I am so astounded that tomorrow it will be three weeks since my Quit.  So far, so good.  I’ve never had a Quit like this one.  Why not?  Because in my previous attempts to quit I essentially did it alone.  And after awhile I did not have the motivational resources to continue with a smoke free life.  But now I have a community of non smokers.  And I feel like all of you know exactly what a person goes though when they stop smoking.  And I enjoy reading your posts.  They astound me with their honesty and transparency.  We have nothing to hide.  And nothing to fear.  

So when I feel those phantom shadows in the back of my mind like starting to romance a smoke by thinking “Wouldn’t it be great if I could just smoke a few cigarettes, enjoy them, then throw away the pack and begin my Quit date the next day. “. That’s my addiction talking. It used to get the best of me with that romancing.  Now when I think that way I read your posts and then reach out.  Lo and behold that craving dissipates .  

This is like a miracle to me.  That an on-line group such is Delphi has such a benevolent effect upon me.  Thanks to all of you.  

Anthony,

Congratulations on 3 weeks smoke free!  That is really amazing and you should be so proud!  I understand what you're saying about taking this on alone and this forum for sure was my motivation and success!  You can do this and we are all here to help you and cheer you on along the way!  Hope you did something to make today a special day and reward yourself because you so deserve it.

tonypfan

8/7/22

Cindi:  Thanks for such an encouraging post. It made me feel good. I’m celebrating by going on a bike ride today. What’s there not to like about that?

That's amazing!  I sure hope your weather is a bit cooler than what we are dealing with in Ohio.  How far do you usually ride?  I used to ride so much and just haven't done it lately.  Hope you have an awesome time!

tonypfan

8/7/22

Cindy:  Ohio is way too hot. I live on the NWCoast. Washington state to be exact. Today I rode 22 miles. I was riding on the beach at low tide. It is so incredible to ride along the surf. Very much a spiritual experience. Temperature was around 65 degrees. Love the climate here. Cheers. 

Loreficent

8/8/22

Good morning Anthony!

That sounds like a spectacular day! 

How are things going? I trust you are doing well.

Saying where you are reminds me of a book I read a long time ago now called “The Highest Tide” by Jim Lynch. It is a coming of age story of an adolescent boy. I recall it being very descriptive of the tide pools along the Olympic Peninsula. It’s a fun read and could be a good distraction. I always enjoy throwing in some Fiction into my daily life. Keeps things balanced, lol! 
Stay the course! Life awaits us!!!

Denim50

Aug-9

Hey Anthony, 

I'm sorry I wasn't able to celebrate your third week milestone with you. I've not been feeling too good recently. I'm still not feeling my best but wanted to stop by and say hello. How are you doing this week with your quit? Your weather sounds wonderful! I love beaches too as you can probably tell from my profile picture, lol. Just a few more days to your first smoke free month milestone. Keep going a day at a time. You CAN do it! Please remember to keep posting. Stay close and stay strong. We're here for you. Best wishes and looking forward to hearing from you again soon. 

Have a great day. relaxed