About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I hate this!   General Chit-Chat

Started Sep-13 by Ginny22zz; 333 views.
Ginny22zz

Sep-13

I hate quitting!  I am 60 days out and pretty certain I have quit for good because I quit when sick with Covid/bronchitis and couldn’t breathe. REALLY Don’t want to explain to doctor that I still smoke.  and REALLY don’t want to feel breathless again  

BUT  I am anxious and sometimes panicky and easy to tears. A cig was always a little reward for whatever little or big task completed, but that is easy to manage.  I just can’t seem to get over the anxiety/sadness.  I read someone’s post that said that improves after the three month mark. I certainly hope that your s true.

Anne2020

Sep-13

Hang On, Ginny - it is absolutely true, it gets much much better over time.  But only if you do not smoke.  You are doing great - 60 days is a hug milestone - the hardest part of this exercise if the first few days, weeks and then months.  If you have gotten this far, you have proven to yourself that you can do this.  Hang onto your progress.  You deserve the finish this.  Anxiety will not only disappear but it will change into a peaceful pride.  Sadness will also change into true happiness that you have quite.  

What you are feeling is totally normal.  We have all gone through some measure of anxiety and sadness.  That's what the form is here for.  To help you through these times.  We know how it feels.  Keep posting here and look for responses.  We are here to help.

Use your distractions - long hot bath, short cold shower, comfort foods, exercise and/or long walks.  Playing on-line games or spending time with non-smoking friends and/or family.  

Do whatever you can to stay the course.  You are well on your way to your new non-smoking lifestyle.  Start planning how you are going to live it.  Redecorate your home. Go on trips.  

What is your favourite past time?  Do you like to travel?      

Jerthie123

Sep-15

You are doing amazing! Congratulations on 60 days smoke free. The toughest part- the first few days and first few months has been tackled and won. You should be so proud- You are just at a bump in the road. I have felt exactly what you felt. But protect your quit because you have come so far! Congratulations once again. You are a champion. Keep yourself smoke free and you have got this. God bless your quit!

Jerthie123

Sep-15

Anne....

I love this. I love everything you have just said. It is all true. Anxiety does turn into a quiet pride and a great peace! Sadness does turn into happiness... I would even say JOY. I am still using the lozenges. I was at a point of utter despair and hopelessness about it this morning. Anxiety, sadness, defeat... No way out but to just keep on sucking them, meanwhile knowing they are the cause of my despondent emotions! I felt so defeated and just so beyond even any tiny shred of hope. But I became hopeful after reading a passage from a book called You Can Begin Again. I will have to continue this another time Anne, everyone. I am sorry but my dinner break is over. No, I am not completely quit, but managed to use fewer lozenges today. And I ignored the urges to even go out and buy a pack of smokes. Everyone's journey is different. Mine is a bit slow and painful. But I want to let anyone out here who has relapsed or failed at a quit... That YOU can begin again! There is hope as long as you don't lose hope. That you can pray it out and give feelings of anxiety and despair to God and let Him manage your pain. There is hope!!!

Anne2020

Sep-16

Quite right, where there is breath, there is hope.  And yes, we all have our own journey.  Cheers!