About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

February 2023 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/31/23 by Denim50; 41495 views.
Denim50

Nov-3

Hey Lisa, 

Huge congratulations to you on reaching nine months smoke free! relaxedtada What a terrific milestone, and 3/4 of the way to celebrating your first smoke free year and joining the Clubhouse. So much to celebrate and to be proud of! I'm so happy for you. I hope you treated yourself to something special to celebrate. I apologize for getting this posted a day late. A lot going on my way and didn't get a chance until today. You definitely deserve a big celebration here though and I wish you all the best as you continue on your smoke free journey. It's also great to see you staying close to the forum and inspiring others. I love seeing your lovely stars and look forward to seeing your key at one year. You're doing great. Keep staying strong, keep staying in the moment, and keep going. You've got this. YAY YOU! 

Best wishes. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

LisaJanine

Nov-4

Thank you Denim.  I really appreciate your positivity and kindness.  My family and friends are proud and probably a bit shocked,  but they don't get it as much as folks here because they have never smoked cigs ( I am glad they haven't ).

Unintentionally, I  stopped with the rewards the last 2 or 3 months and I miss it.  So I am overdue for a reward.  It will be a fun mission.

I enjoy not coughing , no nasal congestion, no phlegm, no getting winded from walking up the basement stairs, having a much improved sense of taste and smell, not smelling like smoke on my person and my car and my garage , not having my life controlled by an addiction to get that next cigarette that only has to offer me death and disease and so much more !!!  I have a lot more confidence in myself and what I am able to accomplish .  A positive outcome  for a gal that didn't think she could make it a whole week without a cigarette.

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE relaxed

Lisa starstarstarstarstarstarstarstarstar

Denim50

Nov-5

Hey Lisa, 

You're welcome. Also, thank you for allowing me and others here to be a part of your smoke free journey, and thank you for being a part of theirs. The support we all give each other here is so important. Thank you also for your wonderful post. I'm so happy you're reaping the benefits of freedom from smoking. I'm sure your post will encourage others too who are just starting out or who may not be as far along in their quit as you are. Thank you. 

I get what you're saying about the family. Mine didn't fully understand either for the same reason, none of them smoked, so I can relate to that. Though, like you, I'm so grateful they didn't and still don't, and I'm thankful for the forum too. I've often said, and continue to say, that I don't think I would have come as far as I have without it. My group just celebrated 5 years this past March. I'm looking forward to celebrating your first year milestone with you too. Best wishes as you keep moving forward. 

I hope you do get back to those rewards though. You've certainly earned it and definitely deserve it. They're great little boosters and incentives, and what a wonderful way to celebrate these milestones. I hope you do have fun finding one. relaxed I also hope you're enjoying a wonderful weekend. 

Have a great day. relaxed 

feafee78

Nov-5

Lisa,

Late congrats on 9 months!! Yay! Each month it amazes me how far we’ve made it from those first months where it seemed like the next day was so unpredictable. 9 or 10 months seemed almost impossible!

We rock.

Definitely need to do some kind of reward. I also haven’t done one in a while. Maybe I’ll get a special drink next week, like boba tea. My daughter and I used to get boba tea as a special treat sometimes.

We visited her a couple weeks ago and it was so nice to see her! The leaves were changing colors and were absolutely gorgeous. It was a lovely trip. The whole thing was super fast, so my husband and I didn’t get any kind of anniversary dinner in, but we got a nice dinner out with our daughter, some of her friends and her friend’s parents.

Are you starting to feel better yet? 

Jenny (I’m gonna start losing track of how many I’ve put, lol)

LisaJanine

Nov-8

Hi Jenny,

Congrats on 10 months !!  You are doing fabulous . relaxed Those earlier days , weeks, months were rough I think for both of us , but it was worth it.   I get what you are saying , I have to recount my stars before posting .  

I was doing better for ? a coup!e weeks in October that progressed to me thinking I am over this Gastroparesis flare and then the Sunday before Halloween it came back with a vengeance.  Today I woke up with stomach pain and  I am having trouble with liquids . Yesterday I tolerated soft foods.  

I am so glad you had a good trip visiting your daughter. Sounds like you were there at the right time for fall colors. I love fall and the colors and always wish it was a longer season.  I hope you get more time with your daughter over the holidays.  How did your back hold up for the visit.  That's a long plane ride too.

My dryer finally was fixed yesterday by the company that my warranty participates with.  I was behind on laundry to begin with when it stopped working but I managed to stretch my clothes out long enough so I didn't have to haul them to the laundry mat.  I hate our laundry mat and it is too hard on me physically to do that.  I live in a decent sized city and it only has one laundry mat and it is very old.  But hey there are Pot shops everywhere .  unamused

I am thinking about getting a couple of indoor plants for my reward, but I am going to have to wait until I am feeling better because that is something I want to do in person.  I have not had a plant in the house for a long time.  My last dog wouldn't leave them alone so I ended up getting rid of them and I have not had any plants since.  She was so weird about greenery indoors and outdoors .  She thought it was for grazing , I think she was part cow or a cow in a previous life.  My dog before her liked to eat all paper products , scrabble pieces , and one time he ate a bunch of rocks. 14 1/2 years of a dog that refused to grow out of the toddler phase.   He was the Chocolate Lab that would also hide in the bathtub .  

What have you been up to since being back from your trip?

feafee78

Nov-9

Lisa,

Let me start by saying that when you mentioned there being pot shops everywhere, then mentioned wanting to get plants for inside right afterward, I had to laugh. I’m assuming from your not happy emoji that you didn’t mean you’ll be getting those kind of plants.  

My dog eats just about anything, too. My plants have to be up where he can’t get them. Up where the cats can’t get them, too, actually. Though they leave the African Violets and orchids alone for the most part. I have one cat in particular who will eat just about any indoor plant she can easily get to. I asked my husband to put a plant back on the kitchen windowsill when I left for a few days. He forgot. It had been trimmed when I came home, lol. 

I’m so sorry you’re still having so much trouble with your flare up. Ugh! I really hope it settles down for real soon.  

My back did ok for the visit, but not for the trip home. By the time we got to our layover in Texas I was ready to just stay there. It’s probably good we had a layover so I could get up and move a bit, though. I was happy to finally get home, but it took some time to get back to normal. It’s definitely a long trip. 

That’s great your dryer is working!  I wouldn’t handle trying to get clothes to a laundry mat. I can imagine I’d be washing and line drying the essentials and making it work as best I could until reprises could be done. Yep. 

I never really had plants before I started taking care of orchids and I struggle with keeping a lot of other kids alive. What kind of plants do you like? I have a peace Lily I got as a gift when my sister passed that I’ve done well with, thankfully. Not a plant you want to lose, if you know what I mean. I recently found out those plants have a life expectancy, though. I couldn’t believe that. I thought all plants could live forever if you took proper care of them. It seems peace lilies are expected to live maybe 5 years! I read a lot of people keep them alive 10+ years with good care, so hopefully I can manage. I might have to divide my plant and start new ones to keep it going. Who gifts a memorial plant that’s expected to die?? She worked for Southwest Airlines and they sent it to us, so that’s who. I should write their customer service department and complain. I joke. I think it’s a common plant gift for that kind of thing. It was very kind of them to send it.

It’s actually a slightly poisonous plant (not like true lilies), so I have to keep it up much higher so my crazy cat doesn’t nibble on it. If it was a true lily, I wouldn’t keep it. Those things actually kill cats. 

I think I missed responding to your message a time before? You said you’d looked at King Charles dogs at one point? They really are amazing dogs. I’d seen the breed on some show about dogs and breeds and made a comment about how that would be an amazing dog to have. A couple years later, we ended up with him. He really is the sweetest thing. Other than eating things he shouldn’t and barking too much (he grew up with a chihuahua mix), he’s pretty perfect. I just  need to teach him how to purr. 

Jenny

feafee78

Nov-16

Lisa,

We had to go put air in our tires the other day and I saw the gas station guy I used to always buy smokes from. It was like seeing my old drug dealer. I had my husband pull the car way to the side of the building so I didn’t see him as I got out of the car. I just wanted to hide, which was weird, cause I feel like I should’ve been proud and just told him I’ve been quit for 10 months. He was outside smoking, so that’s probably part of why.

It was kind of upsetting and left me rattled. I’ve had a hard week with all sorts of emotional crap. Things will settle down eventually. Not sure when. My daughter will home in about a month. It will be so nice to have her here! 

Just wanted to check in. Hope you’re doing ok.

Jenny

JavaNY

Nov-16

I know how you feel, Jenny.

I was friendly with the convenience store guy I bought cigarettes from. A few blocks away. I see him on the street, he tells me I should visit to say hello. I talk to him when I see him, but it would be weird to visit. 

Be well everyone,

Paul

feafee78

Nov-16

Paul,

Yep. Weird. Good to hear I’m not alone. 
Thanks

Maybe next time I won’t actually hide from the guy, lol. I don’t know what happened there. Panic of some kind.

Jenny

LisaJanine

Nov-16

Hi Jenny, 

I would have hid from him too and especially so since he was smoking .  When you are ready you will talk to him .  The most important thing is to protect your quit. 10 months is awesome !!

I am having trouble with liquids and soft liquidy foods . I was hoping to be over this flare before Thanksgiving , times running out disappointed and I love Thanksgiving foods .

My energy levels are low from being ill and it took all I had to get a shower tonight , but it feels great to be clean and in comfy PJs.  I am victorious !

That is great your daughter will be home in a month. Is your son still living at home ?  I believe you had said he moved back home to save money.