About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Debs Quit Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/23/15 by Deb (fluffersDeb); 37428 views.
In reply toRe: msg 242

Just thought I would drop a post in my Quit Journal. Today marks 6 years 9 months quit. Heading towards 7 years of successfully nailing the wicked drug addiction.

I want new quitters to just keep fighting and to bring you hope that all the miserable times when cravings chew at you that it will all fade away with lots of quit time. I too was amazed at how long it took until my nervous system calmed down to normal levels. That achy stomach, the jitters, nervous impulses, weight gain, grumpy moods insane outbursts, and anxiousness will all settle down once the nicotine receptors shut down. You'll still get the odd thoughts of smoking but you quickly just carry on doing other things. For me, I used the nicorette spray, gum and the nicorette inhalers and ecig  which helped with that hand to mouth obsessive behavior. Over time I was able to drop them and by five months I was off of everything. The last thing I gave up was the inhaler and ecig as I finally viewed them as a pacifier - weird but that made me finally stop using them as a crutch. I used the inhaler less and less and while on vacation I finally gave it all up. I thought to myself babies need pacifiers not grown adults - and I think because my quit was solid I could move forward and face the craves without the need to inhale those noxtious poisons. New quitters need tosee that this is a long slow journey to change and retrain our brains and behaviors to outwit the addiction. None of us gets free without the pain of that want fr a cigarette. We play this tennis match for a long time but after a year or more it all just gets so much easier to just divert our thoughts to more worthwhile things. So, don't despair you too will get free by sticking close to the forum, do an SOS in those wibbly wobbly times and read everything especially Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and watch YouTube videos as these help you build The Quit Mindset that needs time to solidify. All your forum buddies are here whenever you need a supporting partner. Good luck to all of you. Next milestone post will be in September. 

relaxedblushheart_eyesgrinsmileyblush 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

alexisfree

Jun-30

Debbie, 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us.  You are a truly valuable sister in quitting.  I know I made it thru some tough times due to your wise words.  I came on here today to type about my own milestone (10 months - woohoo!) and saw that you posted and I just had to read it.  I'm so glad I did.  Yes, to all the newcomers - FREEDOM IS POSSIBLE!  It doesn't come without a price though.  Hang on tight and stick close to the forum.  I've been in and out of this forum for years and I feel finally free :)  Good luck and God bless you all!

DbAnne

Jun-30

Way to go Alex - 10 months - Well done.

Those are some well earned stars! Wow you definitely are no sissy in fact you are definitely showing that nicotine monster that you are in charge not him. Just keep going - yes urges will still be there but you know now that cigarettes are no longer part of your everyday life. Way to Go! I am sure new quitters will follow in your footsteps too so keep up the support to others as it helps you by solidifying your resolve to stay quit for life. I am thrilled that I can be of help to others fighting for their freedom as smoking just isn't socially acceptable anymore anyways and we all need to get this poison out of our lives for good. Good luck in your journey soon you'll be in the clubhouse. Nice job!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

alexisfree

Jun-30

Thank you Debbie!  I can't wait to make it to the clubhouse! :D