About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Debs Quit Journal   Quit Stories and Journals

Started 8/23/15 by Deb (fluffersDeb); 39644 views.
In reply toRe: msg 251

Hello quitters. Today I mark being quit for 7 years. Where did the time go as it's hard to believe I've been quit that long. I am forever grateful for all the ongoing support I received from the quit buddies on this magical forum. This changed my life all for the good. My health improved significantly and I continue to challenge myself with other worthwhile things. I've done several 5K runs, did the CN Tower climb 1776 steps 146 floors, and I even went skydiving. I work out at a gym 6 times a week doing weight lifting and cycling classes which I actually love now that I can breath. These are things I would not have thought of doing as a smoker so there is absolutely no way I want that poison back in my life. Not bad for a 65 year old . As each year passes by I smile with pride that I actually did this. Yes it is very agonizingly tough but you will find those craves fade little by little till it just gets easier to power through them. So keep taking it One Day At A Time don't think of tomorrow as it gets those anxious jittery antsy feelings worse. Do get out and exercise or working on things you love to give you those positive endorphins running through your body as it really helps with the blues we feel as quitters. It truly will get better and easier to outwit those craves and we know that an educated quit is a successful quit. Keep helping each other. Keep reading, NOPING and smiling. Onto year 8 for me.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Eve1973

Sep-27

Debbie,

Wow 7 years, I was just saying how impressed I was of Kitty hitting the 5 year mark, but wow! Congratulations! Yes I hope to be where you are...... I know time will go by. But I can see a future without nicotine....... but I know not to get cocky. 

Thanx for all your support on this forum! I hope you continue to offer your advice to us!

Eve

Thanks Eve. Yes hitting my yearly milestone brings me such pride. You can do this too and I look forward to reading your milestone posts. Yes I think I will always pop in here to help others acheive the freedom I feel. This addiction can be conquered! Keep Going blush

Loreficent

Sep-28

Hi Debbie!

A huge congratulations to you! I’m so very happy to hear about all of the accomplishments and positive things you notice with your quit. It is wonderful how you turned the addiction around and now sound like a happy and healthy fitness monster! Yay! Your encouragement and support mean so much to all of us here. Seems you are always here to lend a hand.  You’ve  not only inspired and encouraged me to continue the freedom from smoking journey but the fitness journey as well. I may have to come to Toronto to tackle those stairs you speak of! 
My Dad always had this odd saying when I was contemplating doing something which was “You can’t do it any younger!”. Nowadays, 65 is still so very young and I’m so thrilled you are taking on new challenges with fitness and strength. It is very inspiring. Seems we quit at the same age and I truly hope to be where you are in 7 years in many ways. I’d say maybe even Toronto (lol!) but too much snow for me!

Take care and thanks for being here and celebrating not only your journey with us, but our collective journeys too! blush It is evident you are No Sissie!

Eve1973

Sep-28

65 is young nowadays! 65 is the new 50! Lol......you go girl!

Aahh you are so nice but before I quit I felt older than my years. I lacked umph and was constantly complaining of soreness and made way too many excuses to continue smoking. When I became a grandma things changed. I wanted to be a grandma that the kids could look up to and they could hug me without stinking of stale stinky cigarettes. The act and routine of smoking looks gross and it's a picture I sure didn't want my grandchildren seeing me ever puff away on a stinky disgusting cigarette. Now I don't worry about standing in long lineups or waiting around for a flight or other appointments and pining for a smoke. Life became easier and I'm so much calmer now as smoking cigarettes actually made me more anxious because we were always obsessively thinking and panicking for the next one.  Once you win this battle I guarantee you'll be happier. I do not want that life anymore. In these 'golden years' I want to stay as healthy as I can so I see my two little grandsons grow up. As for exercise - it's like a dose super power for me now. I work out with weights 4 times a week and cycle 3 times a week. I also walk about 2 miles to and from the gym. I certainly don't want to be overweight in my old age so I'm using MyFitnessPal to track my food intake. So far so good. I am still tweeting my diet so that I lose these last 10-15 pounds. But, I must say I'm physically stronger and happy to feel great as a successful quitter. By the way I trained on a step master machine for 3 months before doing those steps at the CN Tower sponsored by the World Wildlife Foundation every April. That was quite a climb! 

You can reach freedom just like I did. Thanks for your kind words.