About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Former About.com COPD Forum Members   General Chit-Chat

Started 8/24/15 by Garysix2; 243822 views.
rgs97

1/14/19

Nice to see you again.  Too cold for us, right?  No word from Mike here either; hope all is ok with him and you too.  All we can do is keep on pluggin' away and keep our chin up.  So far, no infections, etc. but breathing is just o hard, right?  HAVE A GREAT DAY AND A HAPPY BELTED NEW YEAR.  BOB S. 

Bonsville

1/14/19

Yes, Bob, it is waaaay tooo cold (27 F at about three in the afternoon). I don't have to go out in it today, so I'm happy. Last time Mike wrote he didn't seem to be doing too well. Is your breathing hard because you're not getting enough oxygen? Or are you trying to run a marathon again? <g>sunglasses

Triff (breathefree)

1/28/19

Hi Bonnie & Reg92 I am so glad we still can meet here.I hope for you both to find the strength and determination to get through each day and hope something good happens each day.I know sometimes that means we wake for another day but some days the sun does shine even if it is cold.

Take care

Bonnie I am so pleased you are back to where you were its certainly a blessing isnt it?Keep warm

Triff

Bonsville

1/29/19

Hi, Triff,

I'm not there yet, but I hope to be. I am at least trying to build up stamina. I've stayed healthy so far this winter. After my October difficulty, I've fought off what I thought was an oncoming cold at least twice, and maybe three times. Sometimes I am sure I'm getting sick, but the symptoms last only an evening and by morning I'm as good as new. So I can't complain.

I need to be more faithful with my breathing exercises, though. And I don't go out every day yet.  But I'm working on it.

I got a new client, a journal put out by Cambridge University Press. The Agricultural and Resource Economics Review (ARER) provides a forum for the dissemination of scholarly work undertaken throughout the world on the economics of agriculture, food, natural resources, rural communities, and the environment in addition to research in their associated subfields. It pays a good deal more than my current client does, and it's ongoing, not a one-time job, so I'm psyched.

How are you holding up? Is it very hot where you are?

• Edited January 29, 2019 1:00 am  by  Bonsville
Triff (breathefree)

2/8/19

Hi Bonnie I read this on my phone and have been waiting to reply on my laptop.My power and service is very erratic as we have had such strong winds .

I am glad you seem to be a bit stronger fighting off the bugs and am so glad you sound more decent as the men would say.Yes the exercises do help and I at least do my bed ones each day is relaxing deep breathing(as deep as we can breathe) I have found the heatwave has really upset me but my son set up a fan on y kitchen table and I can sit in front of that.

I just had an appointment at my GP and he was away but there was a lovely locum lady who was very nice.I asked to try a nebuliser for when I have a bad attack and just cant breathe in my inhalers.She agreed so it is easier to get quicker relief if needed which is reassuring.I was somewhat shocked when she asked me to do a simple Peak flo and I could only blow 90.That was not good as it is down so much more.Lets hope it was stress and the weather and it gets better.I have been trying to spend time out in the warm weather to breathe fresh air even if its only to pop out for 10 mins in the sun.

I dont blame you not going out everyday because apart from the cold it makes you so weary you need to recover the next day or so.

Thats good you have some decent work too  and very interesting(I love to garden and grow things even if its just in pots now)

Keep on keeping at it Bonnie and take it one moment at a time

Triff

Bonsville

2/8/19

Triff,

It's so good to hear from you. Yes, it's cold out there!

My friend Jane periodically blows up at me and picks a fight over a perceived slight to her on my part, and won't accept my apology, even though I didn't mean what she thought I meant. It is distressing. 

It's very dreary outside. Everything is mostly gray. The sky is white. We've had odd weather: It was in the fifties earlier this week.

I had chills and fever a couple of days ago -- and my heart was racing (up to 146 -- but didn't get sicker than that. I took Tylenol and Advil (yes, the combination seems to work fine) and the fever came down. I had to go online to a website where I could ask a doctor a question (https://www.justanswer.com/) and asked if I could safely take another Metoprolol (blood pressure medicine), and he said yes after I told him my medical history.

That worked, and the heart rate came down. I had felt so very bad from that, and I was burning up with fever of 101.5. 

The next day I was fine (and needed no Tylenol and Advil, but whenl I went to bed,  I immediately got shivers. I should have not gotten another afghan (I've read online that getting under a lot of covers can make things worse, because you can get overheated, and I think that's what happened to me) at that point and should have taken Tylenol and Advil, because when I awoke, my heart rate was 122, and my fever was 100. So I took Tylenol and Advil and my morning medicines, and the heart rate came down and the fever went away. I've taken Tylenol and Advil every six to eight hours since then. I took the first pills at 7 am, then at 2 am and then at 10 pm. I'd felt fine most of the day and actually forgot to take the pills until I went to bed last night and had to get out of bed and take them.

I was tired enough to sleep at 10 pm because I have just started another BP medicine (clonidine) at night. I used to take it just in the morning and didn't realize I should be taking it at night also. I took it at 6 and by 10 couldn't keep my eyes open.

Anyway, I woke up at 7 today with my first alarm (I set alarms for 7 and for 9) and my temp is 97.9, my oxygen is 97, and my heart rate is 81. The only thing I can figure is that I have been fighting off a bug. So far I've won, because I don't have respiratory symptoms.

I was fearing the worst -- that I was coming down with the flu, even though the only symptoms I had were fever and chills.

This weekend, a pharmacist will come to give me a flu shot. It turns out there's a pharmacy that does that service to people who have a hard time getting out. I could make it to my doctor's office, but it's such a hassle, and I am not at my best now. But I delayed in getting the shot because in October, when I last saw my primary care doctor, I was recovering from what appeared to be sinusitis and was not a good candidate for a flu shot in that condition.

Now I sit here at 9:21 wondering if I should take Tylenol and Advil just to be safe. I think I will. OK, I'm back now.

Then there's my eyes -- did I ever mention that I had overlapping letters sometimes when I read online? Sometimes people call it double vision, but it's more like there being a "shadow" of a letter, where it's not a complete second image. It can be up, down, left, or right, or even oblique, but it makes reading difficult sometimes. Usually just one eye at a time will have it, so I can still work, but a couple of days ago, it was my right eye and it wasn't a question of an overlap of letters -- everything on the screen with the right eye alone was just sqiggles. It used to be that I could figure out words pretty easily, even with the double image, which, of course, would disappear when I opened my left eye.

I also the previous week noticed that I have floaters in my right eye. Those are things in the eyeball, not on the surface of the eye, so I hope they don't get worse. I think I've had them for a long time, but they were small and I thought they were normal. But now I have a larger one and I had to educate myself about them. I see my eye doctor next month. Nothing's urgent at this point. I was getting concerned, though, about the squggles, and kept putting eye drops in. The vision would be normal for about a minute, but then go back to squggles, but what I deduced was that the problem was on the surface of the eye (the cornea), so it could be addressed. The last time I saw the eye doctor he said I had the beginnings of cataracts. So that may be what this was. At any rate, the next day, there was no overlapping in either eye. Today there's no overlapping in either eye also! The usual thing was for it to alternate eyes every day or so. I never would know which eye would be the one the overlapping would occur in. Sometimes it was the left one for three days in a row. And it didn't seem that the eye drops made any difference at all. But I still use them if they feel dry. I've heard the overlapping is caused by dry eyes.

Anyway, I think I've made up for my short messages by rambling on and on and on to the point where people reading this are probably saying, "I wish she'd finish already!!!!!" So as a reward, I offer this picture of Ash, an online friend's kitty.

Hugs,

Bonnie

• Edited February 8, 2019 9:49 am  by  Bonsville
Triff (breathefree)

2/8/19

Bonnie I am so pleased you can work out what was wrong and get advice if needed.We need to at least control our body when we ca.There is always the terrible thought " this may get worse" ie a cold goes to pneumonia .I tell others if they are sick please dont visit me.

i understand the heart thing as Ihave Superventricular Tachycardia and am now settled on Verapamil plus feeling good about dropping all my BPmeds.I feel quite proud to do that  as we live with a body that has been diagnosed as unable to cure certain parts. So good on you for taking control because thats what we hate loosing isnt it?'

I am glad you can get your flu shot at home too especially while its so cold.I try to have mine before winter and the government pays for a shot for me but Ihad to pay for pneumonia one.I had bad allergy with that one so am not allowed it.

I love your friends Kitty too and Imiss my wee furry friend who died last July.I admit is is easier not having to take her out and other things like getting down on the floor so know its better to remain petfree.

The floaters can be worrying and your eye problems can be a worry too.I know taking Duolin (Ipratropium) can have an effect on eyes too.I guess other meds would do the same.My Duolin nebs and inhaler come with instructions to take great care it doesnt get near eyes( nebulizing can do that if not careful)

No Idont find your message boring because it is so helpful for people to chat and when you and I are in the same group of health problems it helps.After all we are still here,still living our lives in a different way we never expected.Our limitations can be sad but we know to make the most of every day and hour we have.

Keep cosy and hopefully keep well battling those bugs

Triff

Bonsville

2/8/19

So far no bug attacks today, but we did have a power outage for about an hour that was a bit unnerving. I had to go downstairs where they have an emergency outlet that runs off the generator so I could plug my portable oxygen machine into it. Who knew how long the outage might be?  And the battery doesn't last all that long. Anyway, it got me out of the apartment!  Now I'm going shopping online for a lantern of some sort so I don't have to go downstairs until I actually need to recharge. It was just impossible to stay here in the pitch dark. My flashlights seem to be totally worthless!

Hope you have a good weekend and a good week, Triff.

Bonnie

• Edited February 8, 2019 10:01 pm  by  Bonsville
rgs97

2/18/19

Just dropping in and nice to see you post.  Hopefully, no more power problems like you wrote about. " Whata wintah" as us new yawkahs say.  Several days below 10 with a wind which makes breathing tough for everybody.  I had a doctor visit one or two times and the 10 feet to the warm car was impossible.  But I made it obviously and now we are fighting the 30 degree days and still the wind.  Breathing has been horrendoius but hanging as best I can.  How are you and how did you get through the winter?  No word at all from mike, and unfortunately we have to assume the worst. thinking maybe he's on another copd website but I don't know of any. Makes me thing of a couple of years ago when there we so many people on the websit.  Sure do hope you are as well as you can be and even decent...I try to do a little exercise, but the copd and bad heart limit it.  But we keep trying, right?  Take care my friend. Bob S

Bonsville

2/19/19

Hi, Bob,

I'm sitting here wearing a Holter monitor because a couple of times in the last two weeks my heart was racing and I was feeling very frightened. I'd been putting off going to the cardiologist, so I had to go today (they squeezed me in on their "emergency" day, Tuesday), and the doctor will let me know later this week what's going on. He said my EKG was completely normal, and they'll do an echocardiogram tomorrow after I turn in the Holter monitor. I should do this once a year. I've been picking up a little with my exercising. The doc said I should take another Metoprolol if the high heart rate doesn't go away by itself, but I'm going to talk to him on Friday when he calls with the result of the Holter monitor readings and the echocardiogram.

As far as another site goes, I have found a new home on Inspire. There's a community called Living with COPD Support Community, and that's where I mainly hang out. There are very nice people there, and many who are regulars and who have good information. There's a lot of everything there. The main Inspire site has lots of areas that it covers. You should take a look. This is the link to the Living with COPD forum: https://www.inspire.com/groups/american-lung-association-copd/.  On the top left of the page are navy-blue navigation buttons. Look around. It's comfortable to me now. I've mentioned it to Sue and Triff but they haven't said anything about having tried it, but if you want more interaction, that's a good place to go. There are other groups about lung-related issues, also. Goodness, they have a list of other communities that makes your head spin!

It's great to hear from you, Bob. If you go over to Inspire, I'm Alanafor, but I don't post a lot, just now and then if I have something to say.

Spring is on the way!! The sun blasts into my sliding glass doors that face south so badly that I have to close my shades every afternoon, but now it's getting higher in the sky and isn't so bad. It's a shame to have a sunny day and have to close your shades! Know what I mean?

Onward, in faith, go we who remain to fight the good fight.

Bonsville

• Edited February 19, 2019 10:17 pm  by  Bonsville