About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome December 2017 Ex-Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Nov-29 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 2546 views.
MissMo3

Dec-1

Thanks Triff,

It is such a struggle and not able to stay smoke free and relapse everytime. I just recently started quit journaling. 

For me it's more than a nicotine addiction but something I co-depend through my highs and lows. To the habit of smoking everywhere I stop. Doesn't help with Holidays. 

I caved again and bought a pack and lighter while out shopping for Xmas ??.

Grateful for the support and community to keep working on being smoke free. 

• Edited December 1, 2017 9:48 pm  by  MissMo3

Hi there Miss Mo,

I hope you are getting more comfortable here.  it can be a little confusing in the beginning, but you will get the hang of it.  The first few weeks can be a challenge.   Check out this list of tips one of our Mods put together.   It helped me a bunch. 

Here's a wonderful list ModJenn put together that should come in handy.

Quit Toolbox

• Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat. Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat...
  • Knowledge is power. Read everything you can get your hands on about this addiction. The more you understand about your own addiction to nicotine, the better equipped you become to get through the cessation process.
  • Post on the Forum until your fingers are sore. Post, post, post. 
  • Closely related: Go to the NOPE pledge daily and hold yourself accountable.
  • When you come across posts that inspire and/or strengthen you ~ copy and paste them into a Word document. In this way, you can reread them when you feel wibbly wobbly and are climbing the walls.
  • Distract, distract, distract. (Shhhh.....I would do jumping jacks and by the time I got to about 10-12 I was distracted -- that's for sure. Try puzzles, reading a book, anything that shifts the focus of your thoughts.) More generally, stop whatever you are doing, move, and do something else. The craving will pass.
  • Remind yourself this is a journey and the more time you put between now and that last cigarette, the stronger your quit muscles become and the more you have in your quit toolbox. Take it one minute and hour at at time, if necessary, and the days will keep adding up.
  • Every day you go to bed smoke-free is a good day. Be kind to yourself along the way.
  • What you are experiencing is normal - "this too shall pass".
  • Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on lotion.
  • Read your quit reasons.
  • Create a list of all the benefits you are experiencing now that you no longer smoke. Practice gratitude at least once a day for these benefits and life changes.
  • Cinnamon flavored sugar-free gum (even cinnamon sticks).
  • Chai tea (I had to avoid coffee for a while but can drink it now without a problem).
  • Eat healthy snacks, such as carrots or frozen grapes (Some honesty here: I didn't always do so well with this one due to this pesky sweet tooth I developed once I could taste my food again. The good news is that as my quit felt more secure my eating wasn't as erratic.)
  • Protect your quit at all costs by avoiding situations that are high-risk for you, especially in the early part of the quit (e.g., other smokers, alcohol, etc.).
  • Make a plan for handling cravings when around temptation. Do not enter potentially difficult situations without a plan.
  • Remind yourself that it's going to be okay - time is your friend as you relearn every aspect of daily life.
  • Keep a journal to record your journey and it's easier to see how far you have come (It gave me perspective at times when I needed to remember that I may not be where I want to be but I'm most certainly not where I used to be.).
  • Reward yourself for the small accomplishments and the larger milestones (this doesn't' have to involve spending money).
  • Exercise - go for walks, join a gym, just keep moving.
  • Accept and tell yourself (that self-talk we have to turn from negative to positive) that the craving is actually a sign of healing and they will occur less frequently and with less intensity as the smoke-free days add up.
  • Deep breathing -- take 4-5 deep breaths -- fill up your diaphragm and and make your tummy stick out.
  • As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". 
  • As ModMic says: "SOME DAYS, IT IS ENOUGH THAT YOU JUST DON'T SMOKE. Some days are crappy from beginning to end, and you can kick, scream, cry, punch something, bite someone's head off...if you did not smoke, you win and a little more healing happened".
  • Visualize a craving like a wave washing over you. The tide does leave. 
  • Tell yourself four things: (1) Smoking is no longer an option regardless of what life throws your way; (2) I am worthy of freedom from this addiction; (3) I can. I will. End of story; and (4) I am stronger than this challenge and this challenge is making me stronger.
MissMo3

Dec-1

This is perfect and just what I needed! Thank you so much! 

• Edited December 1, 2017 9:47 pm  by  MissMo3
SueP (josep2001)

Dec-1

Hi MissMo3 and welcome to this wonderful forum.

What is so great is that all the people here from around the world are all going through the same thing you are - overcoming their addiction to nicotine. It is not easy but is really worth the effort. Read as much as you can and post to anyone you wish to. We are all here to support each other.

Hope you have a good smoke free night....sue quit 3/17/2016

MissMo3

Dec-2

Thanks Sue for the encouragement and support. Very much needed! 

Such a wonderful community most definitely! Thanks and you too!

Miss Mo Dont despair about the urge that overcame yo u.Nicotine is so utterly addictive,you have had it as part of your life for a long time.Move on and hop right back on the quit journey when you are ready to.

Most of us have been tempted to lapse and the hardest part in quitting is jumping off into the unknown and wondering how on earth you will cope with never,ever having a smoke again.Well just dive on in here as someone will catch you and support you until you get stronger

Triff

Hi Miss Mo,

With some people just the thought that they quit smoking can set off a compulsion to smoke.  Having a plan helps.  I smoked over 40 years and the thought of quitting caused me to break out in a sweat.  Before i quit I saw my doctor and she put me on an antidepressant and we discussed all the NRT's available  as to what one would be best for me.   Just don't give up no matter how many times you have tried to quit.

Build Your Quit Plan

Guidance on creating a quit plan, including picking a quit date, telling loved ones you're quitting, removing smoking reminders, and making a list of reasons you're quitting.

SueP (josep2001)

Dec-2

Hope you have a good day - stay busy - both mind and body.

sue quit 3/17/2016

Lynn (Tx38special)

Dec-2

Hello everyone, today is a New quit date for me. I bought Walmart brand of patches because they were out of Nicoderm brand 14 mgs that is. I also bought Walmart's brand of nicotine gum. I found out that that gum ( in the begining) does not stick to your dentures, if your wearing them, at least not at fist. Once you let the medicine desolve in your mouth and maybe chew for a minute or two, then spit it out because then it will start to get sticky. I'm saying this just in case anybody else would be curious, like I was. 

I appreciate the support I have gotten in the past from you all and look forward to more support in the future. Because with dh smoking around me all the darn time, I'm going to need it!

Everyone have a great smoke free day and my goal is to go to bed smoke free!

Hugs to everyone, Lynn

51 minutes and 13 seconds. 1 cigarette not smoked, saving $0.37. Life saved: 5 minutes.

Lynn (Tx38special)

Dec-2

Sorry Sue, I didn't mean to jump on your thread. I meant to put to ALL and forgot.