About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1667561 views.
Susan1206

Aug-23

Hi Ernie,

Laughing....it's a cute couple with dogs....but it just isn't us......sorry

Made a trip to the Vet's to pick up some diarrhea medication.  Boarding him on Thursday afternoon.  Sure hope that this is over by then.  Seems to have no appetite.  Boiled chicken but he isn't interested.

Hot and humid here.....so ready for cool temps.

Susan

Susan1206

Aug-23

Hi Diana,

It's not unusual to have more than one quit so I believe you just keep on keepin' on.  We had a guy named Charlie on the Forum and that was his catch phrase.

I love it... Keep on....keepin' on.   Keep telling yourself about the dangers of smoking and what you are doing to yourself.  Read literature on how the BODY begins to heal immediately after you put that last ciggie down.   Picture your lungs receiving more oxygen.....and being pink and healthy.

Of on errands.  We leave for N.C. at the end of the week.  Where are you from?

Susan

Susan1206

Aug-23

I liked your words..... I am over 60 (a lot)

Guess what, Miss Kitty, I am so right behind you.  I'm over 60....a lot!

((hugs))  Susan

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-23

Hi Susan, 

Temps here in NW Ohio are climbing up!  I live in an old victorian...so have portable AC's which allows things to be bearable.   Last night, after dinner and after dark...hubs and I went for a walk...and was amazed that i wasn' t trying to catch my breath...or sweating profusely!  We actually walked a mile & 1/2...was very proud of myself and in a bit of shock!  LOL  

I have been a gypsy most of my life...from the moment i was born...until we moved here in 2017..I have lived all over the world...(my dad was military, then i joined the military, retired, then went to work for DOD) It is weird...and has been an adjustment...I live in a village of about 3500 residents...some who have never even left the state...though we are only about 10 miles to the state line...the folks have all grown up together, their families have grown up together...so a bit different...because we are the outsiders...which is why for about 2 years...I worked at the VFW as the bartender...just so i could get to know folks...and for them to get to know me...(discovered it is really hard to make friends when you get older..fortunately I do have friends all around the world..but not the same as having someone close--you can hang out with...go play bingo with or go to lunch, ya know)  

I am protecting this quit with my every fiber!  so far...not had any major meltdown...or urge..I have had blips of thoughts...and always stop..and tell myself the truth..like yesterday, had to run to the grocery...and out of the blue...was the thought..oh i could go buy a pack...and i just stopped (wasnt out of my driveway yet)  looked in mirror in the sunvisor...and said girl i need to slap you upside your head...first off, no...you promised yourself a new lease on life! 2nd, who are you sneaking a smoke from...yourself?  good luck hiding that!  LOL  third...that is the stupidest thought ever!  and poof!  I went to the store and got what i needed...and came home..

I have been spending alot of time reading quit stories...and those stories of those not so fortunate...also just educating myself on the addiction...as well as the benefits!  I did notice my grandkids all seem to cuddle longer...and not want to pull away...so not a stinky grandma anymore!

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-23

Thanks Ernie,

I so wish i still had my quit from 2007...but cant dwell on that now...it is what it is...and lessons learned!

So I see you have a farm, or you talk about a farm...what do you produce on your farm?  Up here in NW ohio, they do mostly feed corn and soybean...but they do rotate that out with alfalfa and hay..

Diana

Kittyarnold

Aug-23

she whispers "I am going to be 84 in the fall...."

Diana (DianaSaigo)

Aug-23

that is awesome Kitty!!!  84...wow...have always been interested in history from a normal's person's perspective... so you were born during the great depression and right before WWII?  Did those two events have an impact on your life?  You have also gotten to see the biggest technology change...I know just in my own life time...since 1961...alot has changed...who knew that watching the Jetsons or Star Trek...any of that would be true...but so have attitudes and viewpoints..

Cocoa60

Aug-24

Good morning Diana.  Going to PA and the farm today.  My brother and his wife

inherited the farm after my dad and then another brother died.  I'm the youngest

but I joined the Army, then moved to where I could go to college and get a career to

support my family.  Usually the youngest stays on the homestead property and inherits

by what I've seen.  My brother that didn't die destroyed his own mobile home on the farm having

close to 100 cats living in his house.  So he sold the largest part of the farm, only 12 acres

with the house and two mobile homes left.  He has about 10 cats living in dads old house and 8

in his dead brother's mobile home.  His Diabetes is so bad he hasn't cared properly for the cats

for many years.  I was cleaning up the liter boxes every 7 to 10 days when I could get down there.

Now my sister is staying there and cleaned the house up.  It still smells like cat urine but not as

bad.  His wife has cancer and can't walk. 

I'm supposed to get the remaining farm after brother and his wife die.  Will have to replace the

flooring and the sub floor along with the inner walls.  They sold the prettiest part of the farm for 2000

an acre even though a town septic line had been put through so we couldn't get it back for less than

4000 an acre.  The property behind the house we might be able to buy because they didn't run septic

line up that road.  I hope to build a horse farm there for the next two generations before I die.

So a shortened version my mom & dads farm.

Today I'm going to mow the lawn.  Also, try to get a 220 volt outlet wired up in the garage so I can get

welder working there to fix the diesel tractor.

Good going with your new quit, smoking was such a draw on our lives.

Have a good day.

Ernie

Parents farm in the 80s

• Edited August 24, 2021 5:15 am  by  Cocoa60
Cocoa60

Aug-24

Good morning Susan.  Don't know why I have that picture, have to think about it.

Hope Finn gets better soon.  Brandy ate our food right up to her last day but the pain

was to great and the infection was spreading.

I'm going to the farm today try to get things done,

supposed to be mid 80s today but around 90 tomorrow.

Have a good day.

Ernie

Cocoa60

Aug-24

Good morning Kitty.  Hot days.  My bike won't like the heat riding down to the farm today.

Maybe I will push off early. 

I'm certain Brian's tests will come back good.  Think your quit anniversary is in July if I remember right,

I'm in April.

Have a good day.

Ernie