About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Denim50

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SENSATIONAL SENIORS   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 8/23/15 by ModDee; 1894782 views.
JavaNY

5/22/22

Enjoy the day Susan & Ernie. 

It was 91 yesterday. There was a halve marathon. A runner died from the heat, 32 y/o man.  More than a dozen hospitalized. You think you are doing something healthy, but need to be wary of the heat and humidity.

About the same today, then it will cool off. 

Paul

Cocoa60

5/23/22

Good morning Paul.  49 here this morn, cooled down.  I spent lot of the time

in the basement working on a 2 or 3 year old project.  Upstairs has ac though.

Feel bad for the man that died so young.  My wife's cousin died of cancer Friday

night, she was 55.  Even that seems young to me now.

I did find a couple bad components in our Kenwood stereo amplifier.  Have to order

the parts and wait now.  Our last electronics store closed down last year.  These

specialized parts would have to be ordered there anyway, if they had a source. 

Groceries today and have to plan a day for the farm again in the next few days.

My brother wants to rent a lift to put up a wire ham radio antenna.  Very extravagant.

Should see if I can get my compound bow on the bike somewhere.  I have a fishing

arrow that allows me to shoot a string up over the trees and pull a wire up over them.

Bikes corner hard, leave and stop fast.  Everything on it has to be secured very well.

I'm guessing you weren't in the marathon, so you aren't hurt.

Enjoy the day, cooled now.

Ernie

Image result for wire ham radio antenna imageWire ham radio antenna.

Kittyarnold

5/23/22

good morning all....hoping all of you are staying healthy....got my  shingles shot yesterday......a little late but at least it is done....staying pretty much isolated except for our family....keep yourself smoke free....and enjoy life.....

JavaNY

5/23/22

Good morning Ernie,

Sad to hear about your wife's cousin. Yes, 55 is young especially nowadays.

It cooled down here also. Yes, any race over 4-5 miles would not include me.

Interesting diagram. Once the wires are up, would the antenna need to be anchored to the roof?

Enjoy the day everyone.

Paul

Cocoa60

5/24/22

Good morning Kitty and Paul.  About the same as yesterday morn, 49 here.  I went on one of the runs once,

found out I was going much slower than the people that run them.  I jogged about 4.5 miles every morning

before work.  From 07 to 16, when I had to switch to walking, I had dogs with me.  Made it a much better thing.

But a lot of pain goes along with it when your close friends die.

The wire antenna diagram is just an example.  One of my antennas is hooked to our chimney like that, but I have

three wire antennas up.  So 6 ends to tie off.  The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna elements, so at 1.8

Megahertz the whole antenna is around 230 feet long.  From 14 MHz to 440 MHz I use aluminum beam antennas

that have to be turned towards the receiving station or repeater in that area.  One end of the very long antenna goes

off my property but haven't gotten in trouble yet.  It does look like I can secure my compound bow to my motorcycle,

just makes it a little harder to get on and off the bike.  I'm reluctant to leave anything valuable at the farm since my

brother doesn't have a will and his wife has lots of adult kids ready to swoop in.  They've had trouble with some of

them already.  I bought my bow just for launching antennas, I don't bow hunt. 

Glad we are smoke free.  I tend to take it for granted these days but it's still not automatic.  Might get reminded of

that if I have to live through worse mental trauma than I have these last 15 years.  One daughter at 14 years today, I

give her a congrats card every year.  Kitty, Brian must be in an outdoor project by now, wish him luck.  I have our

pool open but only at around 71 degrees last I looked, not warm enough for me yet.  Mower maintenance and mowing

in full season.

Have a good day all.

Ernie

Not my antenna but same one I use from 14 MHz to 30 MHz.

Susan1206

5/24/22

Thank you, Miss Kitty, for your posting ~

I probably need to add that to my list.  I had a former PCP tell me that I should not get the injection....but apparently that is when they were using a live vaccine?   I'm not sure.  I had shingles when I was pregnant with my first child (age 28)  It was short lived but a little scary since I was pregnant. 

I guess I shall look into it.  Have a lovely day.  I'm off on a jet plane very soon.

((hugs)) Susan

Susan1206

5/24/22

Dear Sensational Senior friends and all of those who may lurk about,

I will soon be leaving on a jet plane (I'm sure that was a song once upon a lifetime ago) and head to the Florida Keys (Islamorada, if the spelling is correct).   Compliments of my youngest daughter and her husband.  I've always wanted to visit the Keys and here I go.  Snorkeling, sandbar, KeyWest, with its roosters and six toed cats and staying at a posh resort.  Just what I need.

I will see you all on the "flip side" of a week's vacay.  ((hugs))  Susan

As always, keep the faith and stay smoke free!

Susan1206

5/24/22

A Northern Flicker graced our oriole feeder this morning!  

Kittyarnold

5/24/22

enjoy your stay in the Keys and love the picture....don't forget to look down at the sand ....might see a seashell....

Susan1206

5/24/22

I still have all of yours from beautiful Sanibel. I hope you saved your collection!!!!