About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/27/17 by ModSue (VentasSue); 195546 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
ModSue (VentasSue)

1/1/18

Thanks Anna and Happy New Year to you, too

I'll be fine but, as always, very grateful for all the help I can get. 

I'd still be smoking if it weren't for people like you and this Forum.

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/1/18

Hey Bev

That's great.  Keep chewing, reading and posting.

SueP (josep2001)

1/1/18

Bev - Good -

going to some place that you can not smoke is smart. Probably pop a piece of gum when you come out just to be sure. Everyone says the moving is very good. We have no movies theaters here.

Have fun.....sue quit 3/17/2016

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/1/18

Hey Andy from Scotland

Great to see you noping today.  

Have a good, smoke-free day.

brightboy18

1/1/18

Hey

Thanks for the warm welcome.  On my third day of non smoking.  Have stopped without any nicotine supplements.  so far so good.  

Hoping to be successful.  Last time I gave up smoking I lasted 5 years and then yes just had one cigarette and that was it.  so back to square one.

kittymom413

1/1/18

Hi there, Bev,

Using nicotine replacement can only help so much. Our problem is trying to drown out the junkie thoughts that creep in & cause cravings.

On my quit date I woke up & put on a patch. During that day & for several weeks afterward whenever I would have a really bad craving I would literally place my hand on the patch & tell myself that I didn't need nicotine because I was still getting a steady dose. Then I would use some of the other things in the "quit toolbox" like drinking ice water through a straw, popping a piece of sugar free candy of gum, or just keeping busy. With the nicotine gum you're using, maybe you can use the same type of argument when the cravings hit...tell yourself that you don't need to smoke because you are still getting nicotine then refocus on something else. Soon the craving will pass.

We all have your back & know that you can do this!! Make 2018 your year, girl!!!

Have a great smoke-free day!!!

Enjoy the movie relaxed

Kitty cat

kittymom413

1/1/18

Hi there, Brightboy18,

Welcome to the forum! So happy to hear that you're already 3 days smoke-free!! You've come to the right place.  The people & moderators here are AWESOME!!! Plus, there is so much information here to help make this your last quit!

My first quit (a really long time ago) was cold turkey; did great, don't remember any really bad cravings; lasted about 3 years. Another time I quit for about 5 years. Know what both of these have in common? Yep, I thought I was strong enough to "have just one". Doesn't work that way because we are nicotine junkies, it only takes one to jump back on that merry go round to addiction. 

So, again, welcome to this forum. Read all you can & post if you're having a craving & know that we have your back through this!!

Have a great smoke-free day!!

Kitty cat

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/1/18

Hey Brightboy

Well done on three days smoke-free.  That means you've got through the first of the Icky Three's - a great achievement.  I quit cold turkey, too, as I felt that, if it hurt enough, I wouldn't smoke again because I wouldn't want to go through the pain of the first few days again.  It worked.

This Forum is definitely the best way to quit and stay quit.  Read all you can and post as often as you can.

You've learned the hard way that its the first cigarette which does the damage so, hopefully, this quit will be your last.  You may find this article interesting

For the moment, though, just take things one day at a time, be kind to yourself and use all the tips you can to help you get through this early stage of quitting.

skythrutrees

1/1/18

Hi Sue!

I'm a big fan of information, so I try to learn something new about smoking and cessation every day or so.

Today, I read about the "Framingham Heart Study," which has been an ongoing study since 1948, now in the 3rd generation with over 5,000 subjects. They discovered that people who have a quit buddy have a greater chance of quitting smoking.  I'm guessing that there would a greater chance if your quit buddy was on this forum too. It does make sense, but gives some scientific credibility to the idea.

It's cold in Florida today (60 degrees is cold when you're used to 95 degrees). Smokers are huddled on the sidewalk in front of the building because today is the first day of the management's smoking ban. I'm so grateful I took the class and found this forum.

So far, so good. I will be forever a one day at a time person.

Mike

SueP (josep2001)

1/1/18

Hi Mike,

My quit buddy was / is all the people here on the forum. No one in my life who cares.

I lived in south FL most of my life and could no longer tolerate the heat and humidity so moved to upstate New York on 2013. The way it has been the past couple of weeks we are happy when there is not a minus sign in front of a number. Have at least another week to go before see any warming.

Have a Happy New Year and a smoke free 2018

sue quit 3/17/2016