About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/27/17 by ModSue (VentasSue); 198604 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)

Hi, this is my first post on here. I came across this forum when I searched support stopped smoking. I quit smoking November 27, this is the longest I have been smoke free. I am using nicotrol inhaler 3 to 4 10mg daily. I have tried chantix,patch,gum,ect.,ect., many times.

This is the longest i have gone and no matter what i am not smoking not even one..I have been moody, fast to anger, for the past two weeks on and off. Now I'm experiencing depression and loneliness. I mean I am so blessed it is a miracle I am a non smoker. My sister and brother inlaw are proud of me and are planing to stop smoking now too. I just seen my 13 yr old granddaughter and told her I  quit she too is proud of me and thinks it is great that I have quit. Sorry im jumping around so much.  

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced lonlyness and depression and how long does this go on for? I'm not wishing I was dead or anything,,, it's weird though, I feel sad and I have no friends to talk to because all I have done for years is come home from work and smoke untell I fell asleep. 

Thanks ,,,lynn

In reply toRe: msg 39

I forgot to say ,,, I have smoked for 40 yrs, and I'm 54 yrs old. Lynn

SueP (josep2001)

1/1/18

Hi Lynn and welcome to this forum. 

It is a great place to quit smoking and become an ex smoker. I like you stumbled upon it while looking for support. Am glad your family is supportive.

Depression and loneliness when quitting is not unusual. Has to do with the change in chemicals. There are articles on here about it.

Contact one of the moderators - Mod Sue(VentasSue) is the one in charge of the January group and has lots of knowledge to share. In fact I will CC here with this post, and she will be in contact with you.

I am 70 years old and smoked for 40+ years. I finally stopped smoking 21 months ago.

Good luck with your quit and there are different thread/groups for each month - The November group is at - http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/2957/1.  (NOPEembers2017 - can be found on the left under quit buddies unite to meet people who also quit in November)

Feel free to read anything anywhere and post also.

Hope you have a good smoke free rest of your day.... sue quit 3/17/2016

skythrutrees

1/1/18

I've experienced elation, sadness, loneliness, depression and anxiety--It's all part of the withdrawal and healing process. When I'm sick with the flu, I experience some of these emotions, too. Don't let emotions throw you off course. Think about the good things that are happening like improvements in breathing, smell, taste, memory, etc. Hang in there!

SusanBW

1/2/18

Hey Daisy this is SusanBW. I haven’t actually quit yet . I have a plan to start my Chantix on Jan 8th and be done smoking by Jan 23rd which is my 54th birthday. I have no words of wisdom for you except hang in there and read read read. I quit a few years ago for 2 months and fell into “ junkie thinking” which I had never heard of before coming to this site. I have learned so much in the last few days reading others postings and articles that have been recommended. I am very hopeful that this will be my forever quit time and I am wishing that for all of you others that are starting this month. The fact that you have done so well already gives me that hope. Be strong and take 1 hour at a time. 

Neats (1146)

1/2/18

Happy New Year Bev,

I am rooting for you in 2018.

Kick those smelly cigs to the curb, you can do this thumbsup

In reply toRe: msg 44
ModAustinPen

1/2/18

Welcome January Quitters!

You are at the right place--the place the saved my life after 50 years of smoking. I know your pain...I walked in your shoes but I promise you that every breath of freedom is worth the pain of quitting. I learned that everyone quits one way or another---be in charge of YOUR quitting while you can still do that.\

This utube story of Barb Tarbox played a big part in my quit---maybe it can in yours. It is not something for eveyone, but when the going got bad (and it got bad often) I watched her and I cried and I understood the reach of this addiction and I got MAD and I fought!

You are in the fight of your life....jkeep fighting!

Penny 

quit April 11, 2011

Neats (1146)

1/2/18

Welcome Brightboy, 

I also quit cold turkey it is hard but a quick why of ridding the body of all those toxins. The first few days is draining but it does get easier just do not give in no matter what. Like you I lost a 5 year quit but back then I did not realise or except that I was an addict. Now I understand this is an addictiction, so educate yourself and refuse to give in to any junkie thinking.

Good luck you can do this.

Neats (1146)

1/2/18

Hi Lynn, 

Congratulations on quitting your doing great!

I am so pleased that your family are proud of your achievement. It helps the quitting journey to have support especially from people that understand what you are going through. This forum has been my life saver and there is no way I could have made it this far without it's support. Do continue hanging in here with us and eduacte yourself on nicotine addiction and keep distracting and posting away. 

During my first year of quitting my emotions were all over the place and I done alot of crying, at times I really thought something was wrong with me but this forum reassured me everything was normal.  I learnt as smokers many of us never really learnt to deal with ourselves emotionally. Many of us started smoking at a young tender age and just masked and blotted out feelings in clouds of smoke and pretence.  

Quitting is a continuous journey and along the way we have to relearn how to deal with our emotion's and not feel bad for feeling down, sad etc. What I am trying to say is it is all normal to have these feelings, so have a cry if you need to and understand you are going through a healing process. You are doing brave thing and your no longer choosing to smothering yourself in smoke instead your discover the real you even if it is a little uncomfortable to begin with.

Believe me, it will get better and you will learn so much about yourself on this journey and you will become much stronger within yourself in time.  blush 

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/2/18

Hey Lynn

As everyone has said, you've certainly come to the right place for help and support to quit smoking.

When you think about the length of time you smoked, it is perfectly understandable that quitting is a lengthy and painful business.  However, I promise you that it is so worthwhile.  I never dreamed that I would quit smoking until two days before I did.  I had smoked for 52 years from age 15 and everyone accepted that it was just a part of me.  A chest infection suddenly brought me to my senses and gave me a glimpse of how dependent on others I would become if I carried on smoking.  Luckily, when I looked for support online, I found this Forum.  It clicked with me immediately and with the knowledge and support I have been given here, I have not smoked for almost two years.

I had never suffered from depression or anxiety before I quit but, like you, started to do so in the early days of my quit.  I was unbearable to live with - restless, angry, dissatisfied, frightened, suspicious - you name just about any negative emotion - I had it.  Luckily, I was assured that this was all part of my quit.  I didn't completely believe this and thought that I would be like it forever.  I was so wrong.  After a while the extreme swings of emotions started to become less and less.  I did experience a feeling of 'missing something but I didn't know what' for quite a long time but, eventually, that also disappeared.  So, what you are feeling is perfectly normal and will pass in time.

Patience, knowledge and determination are key to quitting and I can assure you that, once you have freed yourself of this addiction, you will feel such an improvement in your self-respect, you'll never look back.

This article may help you understand what you're going through:

Have a wonderful, smoke-free day.