About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

This community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Welcome January 2018 Ex Smokers   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 12/27/17 by ModSue (VentasSue); 206014 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
ModSue (VentasSue)

1/2/18

Hey Lynn

As everyone has said, you've certainly come to the right place for help and support to quit smoking.

When you think about the length of time you smoked, it is perfectly understandable that quitting is a lengthy and painful business.  However, I promise you that it is so worthwhile.  I never dreamed that I would quit smoking until two days before I did.  I had smoked for 52 years from age 15 and everyone accepted that it was just a part of me.  A chest infection suddenly brought me to my senses and gave me a glimpse of how dependent on others I would become if I carried on smoking.  Luckily, when I looked for support online, I found this Forum.  It clicked with me immediately and with the knowledge and support I have been given here, I have not smoked for almost two years.

I had never suffered from depression or anxiety before I quit but, like you, started to do so in the early days of my quit.  I was unbearable to live with - restless, angry, dissatisfied, frightened, suspicious - you name just about any negative emotion - I had it.  Luckily, I was assured that this was all part of my quit.  I didn't completely believe this and thought that I would be like it forever.  I was so wrong.  After a while the extreme swings of emotions started to become less and less.  I did experience a feeling of 'missing something but I didn't know what' for quite a long time but, eventually, that also disappeared.  So, what you are feeling is perfectly normal and will pass in time.

Patience, knowledge and determination are key to quitting and I can assure you that, once you have freed yourself of this addiction, you will feel such an improvement in your self-respect, you'll never look back.

This article may help you understand what you're going through:

Have a wonderful, smoke-free day.

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/2/18

Hey Susan

I'm so pleased to hear that you are finding this Forum helpful.  

I know that you already have a quit plan in place but thought that this article may be of interest to you:

Have a lovely day.

ModSue (VentasSue)

1/2/18

Hey Bev

How are you doing?  I saw you pledge nope this morning which is great.

How was the film yesterday?

Bev_1977

1/2/18

Sue,

The movie was very good. It was 2 1/2 hours long, so I chewed a piece before, after, and during.

Bev

Quit January 1, 2018

One day, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 21 seconds. 39 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3.92. Life saved: 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Bev_1977

1/2/18

Anita,

Happy New Year to you too!

Bev

Quit January 1, 2018

One day, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 36 seconds. 39 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3.92. Life saved: 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Bev_1977

1/2/18

Sue,

I'm not doing too bad this morning. I have been up a couple of hours and have chewed 2 pieces of gum. I'm going to pop in another piece in a few minutes.

The movie was great! If you are a Star Wars fan, I recommend going to see it.

Bev

Quit January 1, 2018

One day, 7 hours, 25 minutes and 27 seconds. 39 cigarettes not smoked, saving $3.93. Life saved: 3 hours, 15 minutes.

betty146

1/2/18

Hi Bev,

YAY!  So great to see you posting.

Yes, we can....

Betty

SueP (josep2001)

1/2/18

Hi Bev,

Glad you enjoyed the movie.Just think if you had been smoking you would have been trying to find a way to sneak out and have a smoke.

We got some more snow overnight - not a lot but maybe 1 inch.

Have a good smoke free day...sue quit 3/17/2016

ModDee

1/2/18

Welcome to the forum Susan,

Nice to meet you. Congratulations on deciding on January 8th as your quit date, I am so happy for you.  Start out with the links below and when finished, go over to the left side of the page;  in the "DISCUSSIONS" section scroll down to near the bottom and click on the "Quit Smoking Library" button.  This is where you will find the forums collection of theme related smoking cessation articles written by our Host Terry Martin, the moderators, and motivational stories written by members collected over the years.  Also check out the "Forum Navigation and Rules" folder under "DISCUSSIONS" this is where you will find a lot of "How To" information.  We believe that an educated quitter is a successful quitter.......so get ready Susan you are starting on the road to your Phd in smoking cessation.

Best wishes.

ModDee

1/2/18

Happy New Year Bev,

I'm sending positive thoughts and well wishes for a successful quit this year your way.