About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 3/30/18 by ModMarge (slowblumer); 203290 views.
Rassister

Oct-12

Hey Brian,

i have been gone gone for a very long time.  I jumped on here tonight to see who I could find.  I’ve actually been here for a couple of hours and it has felt good to touch base with Gloria  and JR.  I found you, Cyndi and Denim.   I feel like I have hit the jackpot.  Congratulations on almost 19 months. I rarely think of smoking anymore.  I can smell it from a mile away though.  Sometimes reminds me of years gone by.  My sister who inspired my forum name is 74 years old. She decided to quit at the end of July. After smoking for 50+ years.  She does not want to talk about it so she told me she would talk to me at Christmas!   I have to laugh when you mention your wife putting you to work for an upcoming party!  Keeps you young to hang around with the young folks.  I am hanging up the teaching in June 2020.  Think I might volunteer with some senior citizens in Maryland to promote climate change.   Running ideas through  my head. Next year will be here before we know it.  I hope your sons still come down to see you and hang out.   Again, keeps you young.  My youngest son is having some problems right now.  I am working hard to “stay in my lane” and realize I can provide support but not interfere.  So, in about 9 days you will be 19 months Smoke free.  I’m coming up to 20 months on the 25th.  Don’t work too hard getting ready for that shower. Great to see you on here.  I miss our group therapy starting in March 2018!   

All the best friend,

Marilyn ,

CindiS319

Oct-12

HEEEYYYYYY Girlfriend!!!  So GOOD to see you!!!  Yes, I've been checking in here the last few days and posting a few messages.  So glad you like your new apartment and work is going well.  I'm sorry to hear about your son.  I'll keep him in my prayers.  Other than that, not much else is new.  I'm hoping to see my daughter in the next few weeks.  We're having a Purse Bingo at the Eagles for fundraiser that I'm helping to run and she might come home for that.  I offered to buy her ticket (not that I'm blackmailing her LOL).  I took a plunge and got all my hair cut off today.  Have been thinking about it for a couple months and just did it.  Maybe I'll post a pic after I do it tomorrow.  Anyway, hope everything else is going good for you and it is so good to hear from you.  You are coming up on 20 months!!!  Congratulations my friend!  Big hugs back to you!!!!

Denim50

Oct-13

Hey Brian, 

I’M SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU BACK HERE! So happy things are going so great for you and that you’re keeping busy. I’m sorry you couldn’t retire sooner as you had hoped but happy that you can do so next year. Many of those quit buddies you’re asking about have left the forum. Haven’t heard from Michele since August, Suzy since June, Jenny since December, the list goes on, unfortunately. As you know though Gloria (July) and a few others are still here, thankfully. Molly posted back in September. Too many to go through here at the moment but some are here and some have left. So happy to hear you lost the weight and that your breathing and overall health is so much better. That’s wonderful. I’ve been getting rid of some of the weight I put on after joining too. I’m hoping to get it back down to what it was before. I’m definitely getting closer. Yay! I hope as you get the chance you will stop back in and post again, as we all love hearing from you. Our thread went quiet for quite a while, except for this straggler, lol. I’m glad that you, Cindi, and Marilyn came back here this month posting. It feels like a wonderful gift to log on and see you three back. I hope others stop back by too. Anyway, keep in touch when and as you can. Hope you’ve been having a great weekend, on the golf course maybe? However you’ve been spending it, hope it’s been enjoyable. Talk again soon. 

P.S. I hope everyone returns for our two year celebration. Can you believe how close that is?! A few short months. YAY US! 

• Edited October 13, 2019 12:34 pm  by  Denim50
Denim50

Oct-13

Hey Marilyn, 

It’s great to see you, Cindi, and Brian back. I hope you do return more often. That would be so wonderful! I missed seeing everyone here. Thank you for your good wishes. I hope everything gets better for your son too. I hope you have a good evening and a great week ahead. Talk again soon. Hugs. 

CindiS319

Oct-14

Just because I've been on here and posting...I forgot to tell you guys I've been busy remodeling rooms in my house.  It started out in September as buying a new mattress.  Well, I haven't slept in bed for almost 3 years because with the dogs, a queen size bed is just too small and I can't get any sleep.  So we go out and look at mattresses and buy a king size.  Well with all the furniture in the bedroom, that isn't going to fit.  And while we're at it, the carpet from circa 1990 (with multiple dog pee stains) just needs to go.  So now if we're ripping out the carpet, might as well paint the ceilings and walls.  Oh wait, the bathroom ceiling and walls really need to be painted too.  Oh, and when we're all done I can't put this 20 year old oak furniture (dressers) back in there with the new bed, floors and walls.  Seriously LOL!!!!  So my house has been a mess for the last month.  Then we pick out a new floor and they install the boards the opposite direction of the rest of the house.  WTH is up with that?????  We're leaving it.  Painting all done... stupid floor is in... bed is coming next Tuesday.  Dressers are being built by the Amish so they won't be done until Christmas.  Oh...I painted the bathroom too and it looks awesome.  What the heck!  Since we smoked in the house for 10 years...yeah all the walls and ceilings looked awful.  Then he's looking at the dining and living room and I'm like...don't even say it!!!  He doesn't smoke upstairs any more.  But I really thought this whole thing was really comical.  I just wanted a bed to sleep in.  worried

Denim50

Oct-15

Hey Cindi, 

Lol, but I’m sure it’s all lovely. Sounds like you’ve been busy. How short did you cut your hair? Do you still paint ceramics? You’re really talented at it. I’m still trying to get my weight back down to what it was before I joined. I haven’t got there yet but thankfully I’m getting closer bit by bit, lol, and a new wardrobe. blush It’s still so great to see you, Marilyn, and Brian here again. I hope Tom, Mike, and Michele will stop by again sometime too. I miss Suzy, Becka, and Caz too. Tom was here not too long ago. He was doing really good, so happy for him. Are you enjoying the cooler temperatures? Any plans for the Fall? I’m going to go and post to Marilyn too. Have a good evening. Talk again soon.  

Denim50

Oct-15

Hey Marilyn, 

How are you doing this evening? Are you enjoying the beginning of the season and the cooler temperatures? I think Winter weather might move in a bit quicker this year. I said, not long ago, that I had hoped some of the excessive heat from the Summer would carry over to provide a mild Winter but I’m thinking that isn’t going to happen. I think the Winter this year might be as cold as Summer was hot, but see won’t we? I was telling Gloria, I did go ahead and buy bags of rock salt. At least that way if they are needed I won’t have to fight the crowds to get it. Thank you again for your warm thoughts and good wishes. I’m continuing to keep your son in my thoughts also. I know you said you wouldn’t know about your sister’s quit until around Christmas, however I hope it’s going good for her and she succeeds. It’s such a difficult thing to do but worth it as we know, and kudos to her for trying to quit after 50 years. I wish her the best with it. You said you were leaving your job next year, are you retiring or looking for a change in career? Whatever you do, I hope it works out as you want it to and makes you happy. You deserve to be happy. Are you going to move again? I remember you saying you wanted to be closer to your sons and Grandchildren. I’m looking forward to making some more homemade chilli as the weather turns colder. I love a hot bowl of chilli on a cold day. blush Did you get the stuff done with the car you wanted to? I’m going to get the oil changed and a tuneup on this one too, as it’s due again, as are my tags and inspection. Cindi was talking about cutting her hair and it reminded me of a crazy call I received from idk who. The phone rang, I answered and some man said he wanted to make a appointment to get his hair cut. I told him he had a wrong number. He said, come on, quit clowning around! You cut my hair all the time. I said, no sir I don’t and again you have a wrong number and hung up. He called back again and said why are you acting like this?! I said, sir, I don’t cut hair for a living, I don’t know you, and please stop calling my phone, you’ve got a wrong number. He did quit calling and started texting me! I had to block the d___ number! I’ve had this number for years. I don’t know who he was searching for but I can definitely understand why she gave him a number other than her own, although it would have been nice had it not been mine! Lmao. joy Anyway, I hope you’re having a good evening. It’s so great to see you back here. Talk again soon. 

• Edited October 15, 2019 8:24 pm  by  Denim50
BMann (bmann018)

Oct-16

Thank you for the shout out Marilyn. It is so nice to hear from all the March folks. It is really strange to think back to those early days and our clinging to each other for any strength or wisdom, just to get through the day and possibly one more day. I think we held each other accountable enough that we could find our individual ways through the recovery process. The withdrawal process aside, I try to think back to the breaking of our long-term reliance on smoking and struggle to see what it was all about.

Funny that that is disappearing for me. I would like to think that I would so remember the "horror" so I would never want to face it again, but maybe that is why some folks go back to smoking after time. We can never forget why we quit and the daily trials we faced to get free. I played golf on Sunday with two heavy smokers and smelled smoke many times during the game - I did not hate it, but it was an irritant that I wanted to get away from, just to breathe clean air. They knew I quit and I could see that they would actually have liked to be where I am, so that gave me a boost as to treasure my quit.

As we discuss - I don't think about smoking much any more, just a couple times per week. I should make myself think about it daily, just to protect my quit, with passion, if necessary, but I will forget to do so, mostly. I just get busy and live goes on. I never want to forget my quit buddies here tho, since I would not be where I am without them. It would be great if we all met up, say after 5 years, with wings, somewhere in the middle of the country. Hell, I will be retired by then and could easily jump in my car and be wherever whenever.

I hope you all have a decent winter back east. I understand we are due for a wet and cold winter, which would be a change from the last couple years. Yikes, less acceptable days to play golf on, but maybe we will have some snow. I have to get through the fall leaves first, we get a ton here because I live on a cul-de-sac and all the leaves blow down the street here. Then the million trick or treaters - we get about 500-600 kids every year. Most of our neighbors close up their homes and stay away on halloween, but my wife loves to decorate and hand out the $200 of candy we go through. I'm good with it tho, like you said, keeps me young.

I appreciate your posts Marilyn and hope to hear back from you, so please give me a shout when you can.  I am going to go post my NOPE pledge today, just to keep fresh. Take care.

Rassister

Oct-16

OMG!    Good for you to jump right in and tackle EVERYTHING at once.   I am happy that you continue to have lots of energy to work, long commute, volunteer, paint, ride four wheelers and kayak!   In my opinion you are amazing.  I’m thinking of your trip to see your parents down south with all your creations for mom and dad.  Lots of laughs were had as you wrote and sent us pictures.  Good for you girlfriend.  I need to get involved with a volunteer group.  I tried “projects” but I never finish what I start.   So glad to get back on here again.  I needed to reconnect! 

Hugs 

Marilyn 

Rassister

Oct-16

Omg Denim,

i cannot believe that guy pestering you for a haircut and not listening to you.  Some people are plain crazy.  I do want to move again closer to my grandkids.  I want to retire agin. I need to find a job or a place where I can move, make new friends and start a new life. My grandkids are 100 mikes north of me. That state is very expensive.  I am trying to save money.  My youngest son is 50 miles south of me.  Right now, I feel like I don’t want to leave him behind.  I am hoping that by the time June roles around I will figure all of this out.  In the meantime, I’m still separated.   I need to not worry for now.  It will all turn out ok I hope.  I’m falling asleep.  I’ll talk son.  

Hugs