About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 200301 views.
lori1531

May-8

I don’t know about the others. I’m surprised no one has jumped in here, other than Brian. I sure hope they are all ok. 

Molly010

May-16

Good morning all!

Long time, not talk!  I am happy to say I am still smoke free also and happy to hear from all of you.  Hope you all are safe during this pandemic.  

Looking at your older posts, I have to say, spring did make me think about cigs for a bit, but it wasn't really a craving or want.  It was more like a "fond" memory that turned into "glad I don't do that anymore."  I am so thankful I quit and was able to make it.  Still not happy with the weight gain.  Some weeks I feel like I make progress, but staying home now has made it worse!  I was going to the gym and taking classes.  Now I try to do youtube videos online.

Nice pottery David!  They are beautiful pieces.  Need to find something creative to do myself.  

I have no idea where Gloria is, but hope she is well.  It was so nice to hear from you all.  Let's stay in touch.  :)

David072118

May-16

Good morning to you Molly! Good to hear from you, so glad you're healthy, doing well, and not smoking! 

I've gained a couple more pounds as well, but I guess my dog has kept me from gaining more than that.

Best wishes, stay healthy.

Dave

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

David,

This is JR. Hey first I want to say congratulations on coming upon your 2 year anniversary. Your pottery is awesome!  I am going to try to find you on Etsy.  Also, I was getting ready to do a post to you, Molly, Lori and Gloria.

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

Hey everybody! It's so good to hear from all of you. I ma still smoke-free and very glad of it.   Hope you are able to stay safe during this pandemic.  I'm gonna try to copy and edit from a post I made a few minutes ago to Overdoz so I won't have to type it all again. LOL 

I had to have a pacemaker put in back in February and my cardiologist  really made a believer out of me on this Covid virus.  He advised me not to pay attention to anything the President or the doctors on tv were saying (at that time they were still saying you didn't need to cover your nose and mouth).  He told me from that time forward I should wear a mask and also goggles that completely seal around my eyes anytime I am out in public.  He also told me that at that time there was just not enough understanding about this virus and how it reacts on people to make general recommendations to the public. So, I took his advice and got a pair of goggles right then and have been wearing both a mask and goggles every time I go into a public place. 

At first I was really kind of embarrassed about the goggles but eventually I got used to folks staring at me like I was crazy or something.  Lots of people are dying from Covid but nobody ever died from embarrassment as far as I know. LOL So, I'm sticking with the goggles and mask like the cardiologist recommended.

When I first went back to work after the surgery I was going to be the only one wearing a mask but I told my boss that was just how it was going to have to be.  Then oddly enough, on the day I went back our company made everyone start wearing masks at all times except when going to eat lunch. We had just had an employee to die from Covid and the company really put strict guidelines in place and they aren't planning to relax them any for at least the rest of this year. We have been fortunate that we have been able to continue working through this.  We make products that are used to make medical equipment that is vital to the hospitals during this pandemic.

A group of us from work were supposed to leave out of Charleston on a cruise yesterday....but of course that didn't happen and I wouldn't risk getting caught on a ship right now anyway.  

As part of this Covid plan at work my work schedule has changed and every time I am off I get four consecutive days off.  Since I haven't been going anywhere except groceries and necessities I have really set in on the quilts that were started in the past and never finished.  In the quilt guild we call those UFOs (Unfinished Objects) LOL Have finished 5 of the quilts I started earlier and started on a new one last week and almost have it finished this week.  

Congratulations to all of you on coming up on your two year mark.  Isn't it amazing how time flies by now compared to when we very first quit?  That was turtle time then but now it seems like jackrabbit time.  

Stay safe everybody.  It has been so good to read your posts and catch up on how everyone is doing.

Molly010

May-17

Great to hear from you David and JR!

I think the goggles recommendation is a great idea for people who are high risk.  Covering your mouth and nose with a mask is good too, but the extra precaution is a good one especially while you are working.  So many workers are getting sick elsewhere and protesting because they are not getting the protective equipment they need. 

Sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker.  My coworker's husband has been on a ventilator for almost 4 weeks now and it doesn't look good.  He has diabetes and that created numerous complications.  He is eligible for a clinical trial for plasma so we are keeping our fingers crossed, but it is a small glimmer of hope.  The hospital let her in to see him when they thought he would not make it.  She could not touch him, but was allowed to stand 6 feet away at least.  Glad some hospitals are allowing this. He is currently stable and awaiting the plasma.  

Time really does go by fast after that first year, doesn't it!  So happy to hear you are still going strong and healthy.  Can't believe we are going on two years, but I am so grateful! I have been working from home this entire time, but my boyfriend had to file for unemployment.  

David, I have been walking my two dogs also, but need to be more active because I was already doing that before.  Started doing exercise videos I found on youtube and managed to find a couple that are not annoying!  LOL  The problem is eating and watching TV- period.  Glad I was not trying to quit smoking during this time, because I don't know if I would have made it.  I like to think I would have been fine, but getting out and doing things was a huge part of distracting myself for that first month.

Nice hearing from you all!  Stay healthy.  :)

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

Hey David,

I just sent somebody on Etsy my phone number.  I hope I went to the right thing and sent it to you.  I really am interested in some of your pottery.

Thanks,

JR (DPartonFan)

May-17

Molly,

I'm really glad that I stayed quit this time too.  Especially because they are listing smokers as high risk for this virus.  And with the cardiac stuff I really need all of the advantage I can get against it. 

It is really terrible about your co-worker's husband.  This disease is terrible!  A guy I used to work with has tested positive for it now for the third time.  He gets over it and then a few weeks later he gets it again.  That really worries me.  Makes me wonder if once you have it does it just stay dormant for a time and then re appear in your system again.  This guy has no idea how he got it to start with.  

I really stocked up on food in the pantry and freezers in early February because I just didn't see how we could avoid getting such a contagious virus in our country or in any country worldwide as far as that goes. 

At that time my co-workers were laughing at me for buying up so much food.  Now let me add that I didn't stock up enough for an apocalypse, LOL. But I did buy enough for two of us to last about 3 to 4 months in case of shortages.  The thing my co-workers thought was so funny was when I told them I bought 100 rolls of toilet paper.  Now many of them are having trouble finding toilet paper.  You wouldn't believe how many people have told me now that they really wish they had listened to me and taken this seriously back when I did.  

It's so good to hear from you. Definitely stay safe!

Hello Molly....I am Baaaaaccccck!!! I left this forum in Oct after JR arrived at the Clubhouse and most had stopped messaging anyway. Could not get back on with my old login info name and email since cancelled then and would not let me use my email for a new account. Finally figured my way around this. I am well during this Covid-19 pandemic. Our Governor just lifted our stay at home order but today his mandatory face covering starts. Ages 10 and up are REQUIRED to wear face masks inside public places...in addition to social distancing of course. Enough about that.

I am still smoke-free and Loving it!! Nice hearing from you. I will be on this forum more if our buddies stay in touch. I left when I stopped hearing from everyone. 

Gloria

NOPE since July 2018

Hey David,

Glad to see you back on this forum. I hated when our group got quiet and silent. You have some wonderful pottery and I read that you are on Etsy. I use Etsy sometimes and more lately to order masks. When the CDC recommended that everyone wear masks 3 weeks into this acute pandemic, masks were not available in my area at all. I had to go thru GREAT LENGTHS and jump thru many hoops to get masks for myself and family. I am taking care of my 91 Y O father and really needed to stay safe to protect him.  Our Governor made masks mandatory today for everyone ages 10 and up in public places today. Only one place sells them in my area. I put that info on FB. I have got most of my masks from Etsy and I give them to the elderly and friends in the community that cannot find them. 

Nice to hear from you again. I had a recent urge to smoke and thought "where is this coming from"? NOPE for me since Jul 30 2018.

How Sweet it is!!

Gloria