About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Smoke Free Warriors 2018   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 7/31/18 by slowblumer; 278397 views.
Rassister

12/27/20

Hello Everyone,  

I was so happy to see Brian,s  note to say hello to all.   Happy New year!   Will be so happy when this year ends.   I am happy to share with all of you that I have absolutely no need for cigarettes at all.   The price per pack here in VA is almost seven dollars.   I have gained  50 pounds and was given a “Noom “ app so I am trying to lose a bit of weight.   More good news is that my youngest 34 years old) went back to school to become a teacher and is no longer on a street.   In a program to deal with the drug addiction.   His wife has taken him back in but he has many expectations he must follow in order to stay.  “My three grand babies” are no longer babes.  Kathryn is now in kindergarten, Owen will be three in April and Charlotte will be 2 in February.   I have not been able to see them in person since 2/25/2020.   Thank goodness for FaceTime. To say I am sad is an understatement.  Cindi, I feel so bad for you not seeing your daughter.   I hope that your parents will soon end up with you and closer to you at some time soon.      
I was teaching in March Of 2020 and was thrown into virtual teaching.   At 61, I was totally unprepared for working with disabled children using a computer but survived and taught during the summer of 2020 as well.   My program allowed disabled kids back into the building in October dur to aspecial Education Law.  I continue to struggle with technology but am  in the classroom and on 3 support plans.   My principal told me that he will keep me until the end of the year.   Anyway, this is my last year in teaching.   I am hoping to somehow learn to work or foster dogs when I leave this field.   I made is 38 years.  In the meantime, my divorce is final as of 12/17/20.   I will be moving back to Maryland or NC in June.    Overall, I am ok.   I am proud that I did not go back to smoking.   I did start drinking for about a month but it had no appeal.  Many now, are on CBD oil.   I am trying to stay away for that.  Suffered a concussion on October 30th at work,   One of our students (disability) had a breakdown and slammed my head into the door frame.   I am waiting for MRI.   I did not want to end on a negative note.    I want to thank all of you and all those who were with us along the way for saving my life.    It was a journey worth taking and will never forget all of you.    If any of you see this, please pass on to Cazza and Suzie   It will be three years this February.   I cannot believe it. The quit and my fellow support system saved my life !   Thank you.Sending hugs to all.   Happy New Year 2021.   2020 cannot go away fast enough  

Marilyn 

gkim

12/27/20

I just remembered that I went to the mall for last minute shopping. Parked the car and was just about to get out but I saw a man sitting in his car smoking a cigarette. He finished and got out of the car and walked away. Oh my, how I always did that! Before going inside to any place I had to smoke to get my fill. I sure don’t miss that as well as a lot of other inconvenient things smoking created. So happy about all of this!

gkim

12/27/20

That’s got to be so hard to live with someone who smokes. I hope he at least smokes outside. Keep up your strength!

CindiS319

12/27/20

Thank you.  He does now (not smoking in the house) but didn't at first.  We just bought a new car and I told him no way is he smoking in the car.  It's tough sometimes but I'm hoping I'm past all of that.  Like Marilyn, it will be 3 years this upcoming Spring.  I still have passing thoughts.  

Marilyn, so good to see you.  Wow that's so much!  I actually didn't know your kids had so much going on.  If they are anything like you, I'm sure they will get through it.  

CC to Rassister
BMann (bmann018)

12/28/20

Thanks for your reply. It's been a while since I was actively exchanging posts with fellow quitters, but this forum was my life line for several months a couple years ago and I still like to connect with the friends I made here. It appears that you are doing everything you can to attack this addiction.  I always remembered Winston Churchills quote, "When you are in hell, keep going!" We all hung on each other and many of us have been smoke free for years now and I foresee you being in the same crowd as you win this battle. 

After all the times I tried to quit over 40 years of smoking, this forum led to my only success and it has been a while since I thought about cigarettes or smoking, I love it. Living in Oregon, USA here, we don't have the number of smokers that many other states or countries may have, but since I live on a golf course and play often, I do run into smokers. I don't evangelize quitting to others, but certainly note the smell of smoke. I can't believe my past life was surrounded by that smell, in the car, on my clothes, etc.

I needed to believe the following to quit, "IT WILL GET BETTER AND I CAN DO THIS!!" Once I truly believed this, I was able, with the help of fellow quitters here to hang on until the magic happened - the addiction went away and I began to live without thinking about cigarettes.  If you are having any troubles, do not hesitate to reach out to the March 2018 Warriors and one of us will reply as soon as possible. Good luck and never give in.

Denim50

1/1/21

Gloria, Molly, David, Lori, JR, 

Denim50

1/1/21

CONGRATULATIONS! What a great way to bring in the New Year!  

Hi Molly, Marilyn, Brian, Cindi, & Denim

Happy New Year & 2021 to All!!kissing_heart I was gonna get on here in Jan to send good wishes to all and to celebrate surviving 2020 (What an AWFUL HORRIBLE year for most!!). I was SO hopeful, positive & looking forward to 2021 being so much better than 2020!! And guess what happened on Jan 9th??.....We got snow here on Jan 8th but it did not stick on road and most melted the same day. On Jan 9th when I went outside to put fresh water in my dogs outside water pan, I slipped and fell on some refrozen black ice on a stepping stone in my backyard. I was on the cold ground and could not get up for 5-10 minutes. I kept trying to get up but couldn't. I kept looking at my left foot and kept noticing it was at an odd angle. I could not get up because I had broken my ankle. I am single and live alone except for my 2 little doggies. I was in my back yard and it was early in morning. No one could see me from the front yard and street. One neighbor could see me if they were outside. I was trying to figure out how to get up off the cold ground. I thought about yelling hoping one of my neighbors would hear me and I thought about crawling back to my house. I decided not to panic and just kept trying to get up. I was finally able to maneuver to get on my R knee and was finally able to get up (adrenaline) and hop back to the house. I texted my family and told them what happened and that I was going to get myself together and go to Urgent Care. My family came like the calvary. Was hoping I had a bad sprain but figured it was broken as it swelled so fast and I could put no wght on it. One bone was cleanly broken.  So on top of this dam pandemic, I now had a broken ankle. So 2021 started off pretty badly for me. Was unable to help take care of my elderly father like before...and I felt so guilty as I was one of his primary caretakers. So my siblings had to take up the slack. It has now been 10.5 weeks and I am slowly healing. I wore a BIG boot for 8 wks...now in a brace for 6 weeks. Doing physical therapy 2x weekly. Had to board my 2 little dogs for 3 weeks as I was unable to care for them and take them outside 5-6x daily. They would run thru my walker and almost trip me. They were also afraid of the walker when I walked towards them. So this has been an experience. This has been really hard living alone and trying to do household chores and ADLs. I thought I was patient but really had to learn patience.

******continued*****

Hey Molly, Marilyn etal,

Sorry to hear you broke your ankle as well Marilyn...no Fun!! 10.5 weeks for me now and I am still not healed and back to normal. President Biden's Dr did not release him for 12 weeks when he broke his foot in Nov. I had no idea how long this recovery would be.  As bad as breaking an ankle is, I was still blessed as I broke my L ankle and could still drive. My family helped out alot but I hated bothering them as they had to cover my days taking care of Dad. Due to the pandemic and working remotely, more siblings were able to be available at Dad's to help more with his care. I felt more isolated and alone than I have ever felt...not even my little doggies around. Some people offered to help but did not really mean it. My family really came thru but were not always available due to taking care of Dad 24/7. I am doing better...resuming normal activities as tolerated now. I am wearing 2 shoes again! I am getting myself and my life together again. Will be glad to return to just the pandemic at this time.

I got my life-saving vaccine on Feb 6 & Mar 6 so I am fully vaccinated against covid 19. I also helped family and Sr citizens in the community get an appt to get the vaccine. I became a Serious Vaccine Hunter while laid up with this broken ankle at home. I found appts for at least 15 people...and people kept asking me to help them get an appt. I knew some olders folks may not be computer savvy enough to make an online appt that was required here to get an appt. I do not know of anyone else now who is looking for an appt for the vaccine. More clinics and vaccines available now.

Congrats Marilyn on retiring this year. My cousin who has been teaching 41 years retired in Jan...she was SO stressed out from the online teaching and tech required to do her job this year. Teaching was no longer fun. I felt sorry for teachers since the pandemic started. I know you are looking forward to your retirement and moving since your divorce. 

What is it with us Virginia women breaking our ankles? I am looking forward to being completely healed and able to walk without pain. And looking forward to this pandemic being over.

SO Thankful and Joyful to not be smoking since 2018. It is a distant memory now and I hardly ever think of a cig. Not even any dreams of cigs anymore or cravings when I have my coffee most mornings. I am overjoyed to be a non-smoker...How Sweet it is!! Looking forward to my 3 yr anniversary in July. Happy Spring to everyone.

Gloria (still kicking high with one leg at this time).

Molly010

3/24/21

Hey Gloria,

So sorry to hear about your leg!  Was just thinking about you and was going to post the other day but didn't get around to it.  Must have been scary laying there for a while wondering why you could not get up!  Glad you are healing and getting around a bit better.

I received my first dose of the vaccine and have my second scheduled for April.  My parents are having a hard time getting an appointment for some reason.  They live in Mass so my sister and I are trying to help get them an appointment.  So great of you to help other get appointments.  It is difficult for so many other people.  My state has been pretty easy for most. 

I lost my sweet dog on March 6.  We had to put her down.  She was acting strangely for a couple of days and then started having seizures.  I took her to three vets and they all sent her home thinking she was fine.  It was so frustrating.  The pain of her loss has been very difficult.  She was an absolute sweetheart and a big part of our lives.  Took her everywhere - stores, hiking, vacations.  I just got her ashes yesterday and am hoping to have some jewelry made.  Ironically, the thought of smoking didn't even cross my mind and I would have chain smoked if she died while I was still smoking. 

The year started off okay, but this month has not been so great.  My other dog was diagnosed with a degenerative disk disease two days ago, a long time friend of our family passed away on the 12th, and my boyfriend is having some minor health issues.  I am trying to focus on all the great memories, but I will miss her terribly and need to give myself time to grieve.   

Take care of yourself and write back when you can!  Below is a pic of my girl.  sweat