About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 50301 views.

This is why the forum is known for helping - fellow quitters pay it forward and support each other in the battle to get and stay quit. I know I could not stay quit without this place. Everyone can quit. Use your intellectual mind and not your addicted mind to outwit the nicotine monster. See him for what he is - an evil predator and we let him control us. Well no more rationalizing that smoking is ok. It isn't because you are letting the monster win and control you once again if you smoke. 

Keep taking this one day at a time and let those smoke free days add up. Stay angry at cigarettes for doing this to you and choose to be an x-smoker for the rest of your life. Good luck in your journey.

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

In reply toRe: msg 7
gilturgeon

6/5/19

Your experience with the hate and anger is what I’m most apprehensive about. I’m a grumpy 60 yr old and I’m afraid of getting even grumpier!  ... the risk/reward factor HAS to swing towards the positive sooner than later, otherwise I know I’ll fail, I just don’t have patience with anything.  like most people my age,  I mostly smoke for medicinal purposes, I physically get ill if I don’t get my dose of nicotine continuously. I’m really going to try this time by getting as proactive as possible. I’m not sure if Zyban is an option for me, I’m glad you’re doing well however ... if my frustration gets out of control, I’ll try methods for dealing with that as well, smoking is ruining my health and I’m getting really resentful that I’ve become a slave that has to bow down 40 times a day!!! I’ve quit alcohol and hard drugs for years now, perhaps 2-3 Xs a year I’ll get sweaty temptations but from experience, I KNOW it will pass.. I hope the same mindset holds true for smoking and I’m going to try and quit a nasty caffeine addiction as well... your prayers and compassion is appreciated...

silverene102

6/6/19

Like Debbie said , maybe try channeling your anger towards smoking instead of yourself and others? 

zyban really helps me not only with my addictions but also my everyday life. I only take once a day in the morning instead of twice a day as directed. As the med only works for 8-12 hrs, I do feel easily irritable and more hungry at dinner time but I’m trying fight it myself instead of depending on the drug too much. Maybe it will helps you too? But it effects everyone differently.

I really hope you could join us :) 

I was irritable, grumpy, downright looney for a while but eventually it did all get easier especially after four months. This is not easy but it is attainable by being stubborn in your resolve to quit. It takes tenacity and patience plus a strong sense of understanding that we are drug addicts that need to stop poisoning ourselves.  Our brains are involved in the withdrawal process after all. All our vital processes in the hypothalamus are affected by not having that sudden stimulant drug nicotine anymore and so our emotional, sleep, hunger and other sensory areas all are affected. It's no wonder we are out of sorts.

I quit when I was 58 and have been quit for almost six years. I know your pain with quitting but I too hated being a slave to cigarettes and wasting my money on that useless drug addiction. It's up to you and you alone whether you smoke or not but I can tell you I am now much more relaxed and chill than I ever was as a smoker. Smoking actually increases stress on our bodies which is something I did not believe until I quit.  We always worried when and where we could get our next smoke. Smoking is not permitted in so many places these days and it's just not the cool thing to do anymore. Watch a smoker who really needs their fix as they are overly anxious and at times panicking while lighting up they look like drug addicts. All that goes away once you are free so keep going and never look back. 

Those nasty first four months are wicked tough but hang in there and use whatever substitutes you need & just stop smoking as your lungs and body will heal from the abuse. 

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

gilturgeon

6/6/19

Good morning and thank you all for the acknowledgment. I don’t necessarily feel alone in this struggle, every long term smoker I’ve ever met wished they could smoke ONLY when they really wanted to, those rare occasional moments when smoking is pleasurable.. with all the public awareness and staggering stats, I’m confused why so many young people still consider it cool. I’ve lived most my life in central coast California and on Maui where smoking is no way near as prevalent or acceptable as it is here in NC.. I understand there’s a lot of variables to consider,  the acceptance level is what I’m still not used to and I feel this just fuels my addiction.. by contrast,  out west, in the areas I’m from, smoking is very taboo and that made me conscious of somewhat controlling my input, but here, everyone smokes it seems like!  so without boundaries, I’m smoking twice as much (2 packs!! Always smoking or thinking about it) in a way that’s been a blessing, I’m more discussed in myself than I’ve ever been and my health is taking a huge hit.. Apart from smoking, I’m very health conscious, smoking hasn’t overly impacted my physical attributes til lately. I’m 5’9” 145lb .. 2 yrs ago - 180lbs almost zero fat, worked out regularly, ate well... now, I smoke and drink soda instead of eating.. 

THIS ENDS TODAY!!!  I actually stopped last night ( surprising because I love to smoke before bedtime out side) thanks to this forum, I think I have a tool that going to come in handy, just now I got a stabbing craving for a split second.. Breath.....

turtles

6/6/19

I am 65, smoked for 40 years and quit cold turkey on April 1.  That feeling of 95% of the cigarettes I smoked were not pleasurable is what drove me.  I had quit for 3 months 5 months before and made the fatal just one error, which I will not repeat.  Some days were downright obnoxious but sugar free hard candy really helped, with sugarfree cinnamon gum, ice chip water and really cold flavored water. These also helped minimize weight gain.  Good luck! 

Owen0318

6/6/19

good for you on your decision to quit, I am on day 37 after 38 years of smoking a pack a day, like you said in your previous post< I have always worked out and kept in fairly good shape for a smoker, always have had a lot of guilt about being health conscience and a nicotine addict ! smoking is so socially unacceptable now days, it is down right stressful to be a smoker! you just have to stick it out and you will start to feel better and it gets easier, for me it was after week 3, good luck and keep reading and posting it really helps !

DaleAnn

6/6/19

Everyone quit is different and we chose the method we can live with and be successful.  By all means do not set yourself up for failure if you're smoking 40 a day. NRT is probably the way you should go so you can manage the withdrawals.  I used nicotine gum the first month I quit, others require a combination of aids; Zyban/Chantix; nicotine patches, etc. What saved me during withdrawals was I kept in touch and reading everyone's posts close to my quit date. "I was not alone" participating in this Forum knowing others were along side of me pacing and cringing with me. Also it was motivating to hear from others who were a little ahead of me and successfully maintaining their quit. 

gilturgeon

6/6/19

I need the weight gain! Nicotine and caffeine was/is a very potent stimulant for me, which effected my appetite to the point that I would just eat once a day , usually just before bed... total make-over for me on this d-day.. fully aware of the dangers of over doing it and will be continuously be monitoring myself and approaching issues with new tools I have gathered here and other resources.. 

In reply toRe: msg 26
gilturgeon

6/6/19

Thanks Owen, best of luck and focus.. I am of French decent and my full quit day (today) coincidentally is D-day! I’m going into battle to defend my freedom of choice and health. I wished the social stigma of smoking was in better force here in NC , in San Luis Obispo California where my formative years where spent, if you were smoking on the Main Street, people would tell to your face that you were taking away their right to clean air, and as a smoker, I agreed 100%!  I was always considerate in that regard, I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with cigarettes, I’m at the point now, the love is shameful and the hate is debilitating.. like everyone else, I have other negative issues in the works and there will never be that  “best” moment to quit. So I’m prioritizing this effort over everything else, I may disappoint some people in the process,  but I know the benefits will hugely outweigh the missteps.. again, my major concern is anger. I’m not usually patient with the WWW lol but I’m getting a lot of useful info... thank you!