About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 53518 views.
David072118

6/10/19

Hi Denim,

Thanks!

Best,

Dave

David072118

6/10/19

Thanks, Marge!

Dave

Frank (Azriel57)

6/11/19

Hello all,

I am new here and think I might need support on this journey. I am currently in day four of my quit. I decided to go the Chantix route, in week number 3 of the pills. I lost the physical urge to smoke within 3 days of taking the pills but only just recently lost the mental urge. I am hoping this sticks, been smoking for just short of 40 years and am ready to be done.

marrk369

6/11/19

Welcome.  I am in a similar boat.  I just did 79 days using Chantix.  I'm now on day 9 using the Nicotrol Inhaler.  I also smoked for about 40 years.  Best of luck.  

Frank (Azriel57)

6/11/19

Thank you. So the Chantix didn't do it for you? I am curious what to expect when I am done taking it. Will I have withdraw symptoms that have been at bay while taking the medication?

marrk369

6/11/19

It's different for everybody.  It did work for me and makes quitting much easier at first.  I quit taking it about a week before I started smoking again.  You should be prepared for when you do go off it.  You may experience some symptoms that have been "blocked" while taking it.  Some people have no issue at all.  However only 20% make it to one year.  Relapsing and starting over more than once is how most people eventually quit smoking.  

As long as you don't have any side effects - I only had a few weird dreams - I would say take it for as long as you can and just have some patches or gum or something on hand before you go off Chantix in case you get some late urges.  Maybe you won't even need them.  I'd be better safe than sorry.  

Frank (Azriel57)

6/11/19

Thank you. My company offers free patches, lozenges, gum, so I may reach out to see about getting those for when the Chantix is over.

slowblumer

6/11/19

Hi Azriel.

Welcome.  This is a great place to get support and tips on your quit.  Like Mark says we are all different in our quits but one thing that binds us all is the desire to quit smoking and stay quit.  Hope you will check out all the articles from the beginning of this thread.  The more you know about nicotine addiction the better.

Deciphering the Urge to Smoke

Every Hurt is a Heal: Understanding and Working with Your Cravings.

ModAndrea

6/11/19

Welcome to the forum, Azriel! I quit smoking with Chantix, too. That was after smoking for 40 years. I'll have been quit six years this summer.

No, you will not go through physical withdrawal when you stop Chantix because there is no nicotine in Chantix. I was on it for two months and did not experience any problems. Of course, there were still be the mental withdrawal to work through. I found that I had to change my attitude towards smoking. My biggest challenge was to no longer see smoking as a reward. That's why I love it when I see forum members come to the realization that the reward is in no longer smokingblush

Take this one day at a time, stick close to the forum, read all you can, and keep posting.

Have a wonderful smoke free day, Azriel!

Hugs,

Andrea

• Edited June 11, 2019 12:11 pm  by  ModAndrea
Frank (Azriel57)

6/11/19

I have been fortunate, after I got over the physical it was changing the mental which I have been working on and am very proud of myself. I will stand with smokers while outside and no urge so I think the mental thing is just about broken. Even when I am fighting the urge I can stand with a smoker without asking to bum one. I am hoping it continues to be "easy".