About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 53868 views.
Brenda (1sept19)

10/23/19

Welcome to the forum and congrats on you deciding to be rid of this addiction.  Many of us have quit loads of times and I know we have all been scared when we first start our quit, but it does get better.  Each week and month will get a little better.  It does take time but just take it one day at a time, don't look forward or back, just today.  You can do this and I wish you all the best. 

QuitRunner

10/23/19

Thanks Brenda! I like the idea of "don't look forward, don't look back." Too often I tell myself I'll fail because I've failed so many times in the past. But I have to stop thinking that way.

Meantime looks like I've made it through my first day, which puts me 1/3 of the way through the first of the icky threes :) 

It was a day that felt like it had about 72 hours in it. I almost caved at around 3:30. But made it. Now to bed!

Brenda (1sept19)

10/24/19

I look at my past attempts as lessons learned for the big finale. relaxed Congrats on getting through that first day.  Each day you make it to bed smoke free is a day of victory.  Keep going, one step, one day at a time.

JohnsonFu

10/24/19

Take one day at a time. Totally agreed.
Looking far ahead only mess u up as the withdrawals and effects will eventually pass. Stay in the forum, whine about anything and people will be here to help! 

The best advisers come from ex smokers! Going through what we are going through now those withdrawals and letting us know it’s temporal! 

stay strong and kick this cig butt

QuitRunner

10/24/19

Absolutely. And how nice it was to get to the office this AM without having had a cigarette. 

And to go to bed last night without stinking of smoke.

Focusing on the positives on day 2 :) 

Kristin

JohnsonFu

10/24/19

Oh my! U are right on it. 

no cigg smell going into office, no cigg smell going to bed! 
no worries of bumping into someone on the way to work in  the morning and start a conversation as I am always worried about my stinky mouth! 

damn relatable to me..

VIV691 (NOSMOKING3)

10/24/19

Hello,  I was reading through the OCTOBER thread and came across your message.         I totally identify with your sentiment that giving up smoking is the hardest challenge you have met.    Me too,    and I have had quite a few quits and this time I am just on two months.  I even threw away a 2 1/2 year quit once.    You have come to the right place.  This forum is so informative and accepting.   I wish you the best with quitting and with your health.  My daughter has emphysema and is only in her 40's.    Smoking is a wicked thing really.

Aussie Viv

VIV691 (NOSMOKING3)

10/24/19

Hello Lynn,     I hope and pray for you that you can quit.  I was just scrolling through the October thread and saw your message.     You sound determined.   Stick with the forum.

Aussie Viv

quit 24/8/19

QuitRunner

10/24/19

Totally. No wearing a separate jacket and then obsessively washing hands so you don’t smell!

MarkOU812

10/24/19

Well got snowed out of the mountains early. Left home drive 700 miles, did some 40-50 miles hiking up and down the mountains with no chest tightening or feeling short of breath. Get off the mountain and start contemplating the drive home and chest been heavy all afternoon. Thinking now it may be anxiety, but don't know what I have to be anxious about. This started couple weeks before I decided to quit and the reason I quit. But anyway, yeah I up to 11 days, almost done with 12. 

11/13/2019

Mark