About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 62419 views.
juliannsc63

10/10/19

Hi jupiter58, I'm not doing that well with my quit.  I am struggling, especially when I get stressed while working or helping my son with his homework!  Great job at 55+ hours.  I am using the nic gum, which helps when I have a craving.  Are you quitting cold turkey?

Julie

p.s. is "jupiter58" an astrological reference?

Wayne1957

10/10/19

Thanks for the encouragement, JR.  And congrats on your one year achievement.  It seems so far away from where I am now, but I'm determined to get there.

Msg 4225.78 deleted
Evillarreal2

10/11/19

You can do this. I smoked for 25 years. Now I'm going on 3 weeks smoke free. Not as bad as I thought. I use about 1-2 gums every third day or so. Stay busy and breathe. You can do this. Inform yourself as much as possible. 

juliannsc63

10/11/19

Thank you for your encouragement Evillareal2!!!

Evillarreal2

10/11/19

It is very doable. First 72 hours I chewed a nicotine gum here and there. I DID NOT take my smokes to work. I'm going on 3 weeks and honestly it does feel easier than I anticipated. DO NOT let go of that train. Best of luck. 

Wayne1957

10/11/19

Evillarreal2 said:

DO NOT let go of that train.

Thanks for the encouragement Evillarreal2.  Day 4 completed an hour and a half ago, and I'm still on the train (sitting in the non-smoking section). 

• Edited October 11, 2019 4:25 pm  by  Wayne1957
Jpatrick1996

10/12/19

Hi PrepsEtc,

Congratulations on your decision to quit.

I'm 86 days in, smoked for 44 years...no miracle.......hard work, tenacity, education, and support have been key to my success thus far.

I suggest you at least pledge NOPE daily, and educate yourself on the effects of smoking AND the effects of quitting.

I wish you peace and strength in your quit. 

Please trust and remember that it DOES get better relatively quickly, it is a process, not an event.

All the best, 

Patrick

Quit July 16th, 2019

In reply toRe: msg 83
Lynn (Tx38special)

10/13/19

Good morning October quitters, 

I'm Lynn and I am here once again to attempt at yet another quit. I did quit once before and it lasted 2 and a half years. And I let a very bad fight with my daughter be the reason to pick up the smokes again. That was in 2011 and by 2015 or 16 (I don't quite remember) to try and stop smoking and I have failed over and over! 

Well August 26th if this year I had a gastric bypass done from a gastric sleeve. And two Sundays ago I went to the ER with stomach pain and having nausea every time I ate. Long story short,  I was told that my smoking can or has caused an ulcer in my little pouch and it will get much, much more worse and I will end up with emergency surgery, with me being in the hospital for a month and a feeding tube put in for a year, if I don't stop smoking now!! 

So once again, I bought another box of nicotine patches. And I'm not allowed to eat raw vegetables  or fruits with the type of surgery I had. Or any fruits with skin on them, like the grapes. ‍?? I don't know what else I can snack on when a craving hits. I can't do anything that has cinnamon on it, cause that sets my mouth on fire!

I originally planned on yesterday being my start date, but I put it off til today. I have 3 cigarettes left in my pack. Once they are gone, then the patch comes on. And I am taking the advice from another member of this form who said she gave herself 3 cigarettes for the day and then she put on the patch and to my knowledge she has been smoke free ever since. I haven't kept up with her, so I don't know if she is still on here or not. If anyone knows of her or if she's still here, can you please send her a message and tell her Lynn was asking about her, she went by Sue P.

That's all I can remember. 

Anyhow, here I go again!! I appreciate everyone's support, thank you,  Lynn