About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

October 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 62662 views.
Evillarreal2

10/14/19

Hope you get 55 more. And then 55 more that. That should put you just shy of a week and well onto a longer quit,. Keep it up.

In reply toRe: msg 94
mars123

10/14/19

Hi there,

Yikes. This is new. Joining a forum that is. Trying to quit? no not new. I’ve been trying to quit actively over this past year or so. Serious stopping and starting again. Hoping to share some support in this new way (for me anyways)... On day 3. One day at a time I guess.  Hoping this time is for good. Saw that virtual key, can’t even think of a whole year smoke free.  Great to read everyone’s posts. It’s inspiring and comforting. 

ModAndrea

10/14/19

Congratulations on Day 3, Mars! Welcome to the forum! You're absolutely right about taking this one day at a time. Thinking too far ahead can be overwhelming. The truth is that you will not always be feeling like you are right now. This does get better. There will come a day when you realize you haven't had a single thought about smoking.

My best advice is to read everything you can about this addiction and the quitting process. The more you know, the better your chances are for success. 

You're doing great, Mars! I'm glad you're here.

Hugs,

Andrea

mars123

10/14/19

Thanks for tips Marge....just trying to read as much as I can right now... on day 3... 

Brenda (1sept19)

10/14/19

Welcome to the forum.  Congrats on 3 days free from the addiction.  Make yourself at home, this forum is amazing and will help so much.  Keep taking it one day at a time, you will find freedom.

mars123

10/14/19

So funny Andrea, re: reading as much as you can... that is exactly what what I’m doing! Thank you for the words of encouragement! 

mars123

10/14/19

Thanks Brenda! Freedom....It’s like reinvention or something... and hopefulness... and self care... amongst many other things. I’ve smoked (lightly, moderately but a lot heavily) for a very long time like 30 yrs but about 6 years ago cut down to about 6-8/day and perhaps every couple of months, blips of pack a night binges (social& drinking or stress). 

Spent the last 2 years trying to quit (anywhere from 3 months  to 8 hrs etc etc)... and all the negative emotions that come from it e.g. resetting the quit app yet another time or better yet, letting it run on anyways despite full blown back to daily smoking. Confession: I’ve let my 2 quit smoking apps run on for months at a time, checking out the stats...as an imposter. Not funny but funny sad no? Both are set to reality now. 

Just hope to take it one day at a time this time and not get overwhelmed by thinking too far ahead. It’s Day 3 all day long. Not day 10 or 260.  Must stay in the present. 

Brenda (1sept19)

10/14/19

mars123 said:

Must stay in the present. 

You got it.  We have all put ourselves through hoops for this addiction and most of us have quite a few quits behind us.  I consider it lessons learned and now I am on my forever quit, one day at a time.  You can do this and remember that you are getting rid of disease, bad health and addiction.  You are giving yourself a great gift, the gift of health and no longer being a slave to that addiction.

mars123

10/14/19

Thanks Brenda, timely support if you only knew! 

In reply toRe: msg 101
slowblumer

10/14/19

Hi October Ex- Smokers,

As hard as quitting is, if given a chance your body has tremendous ability to heal.  You are winning a battle for your life against a powerful substance.

"Nicotine is among the most toxic of all poisons and is highly addictive".