About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

December 2019 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 1/28/19 by Terry (abquitsmking); 68535 views.
slowblumer

12/10/19

Hi prawl8,

8 days is a great start.  Jump back in.  Those 8 days were not lost.

SusanK1960

12/10/19

Hi Prawl,

We have a nicotine addiction.  We all have bad days.  I have gotten thru them with the tricks other forum members have suggested and researched others.  Understand the enemy!  Here is a couple of articles to possibly help. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/memorize-the-5-ds-to-beat-smoking-urges-2825310

https://www.verywellmind.com/four-steps-that-defeat-the-urge-to-smoke-2824748

Lubbercat

12/10/19

Hi Prawl8,

I have not been on here for a long time.  I just quit again today also.  I had quit for over 2 years when I was first diagnosed with Emphysema and need to stay quit.  This time around I have quit, started, quit, started more times then I can count.  I am determined that this will be my last time quitting.  I am almost done on day 1 since I had my last smoke on my way home last night at 5:30.........

Keep at it and don't ever give up the fight.  I know when I did quit for a while, my breathing was so much better I could pretty much do anything.

Good luck

SusanK1960

12/10/19

Hi Anthony,

You are not alone in this struggle!  Everyone here on the forum is fighting their nicotine addiction!  It helps me to know I’m not alone and come to find out, I’m not unique.  I encourage you to read the past postings in Quit journals or articles related to smoking on verywellmind.com.  Go back and read Allan Carr’s book, or at least parts that spoke to you, so it gets stuck in your brain!  Keep a positive attitude and only deal with one day at a time. I believe a positive attitude brings positive results.  

https://www.verywellmind.com/memorize-the-5-ds-to-beat-smoking-urges-2825310

SusanK1960

12/10/19

Hi Lubbercat,

Welcome back!  Very happy you are with us in our journey to be smoke free.  As you probably know, your body has already started to reverse some of the nasties from smoking, which to me is always amazing.  I look forward in having you on the team!

Susan

not smoking since 10/13/19

Lubbercat

12/10/19

Thanks Susan.....Looking forward to staying the program this time so I might be on here a lot.

Jatchat

12/10/19

Hi Susan, 

I have started reading Allen's book again, Yes I know thefive D's though it helps to read them again, Attitude is so important as well as mood, I am prone to low mood at times and try to stay positive through my spiritual readings. Thanks for the tips.

Kind regards

Anthony

prawl8

12/11/19

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm scared. You hang in there.

Prawl8

slowblumer

12/11/19

Hi There Matt,

I saw your post in another thread and since you meant to post in the December thread I thought I would post to you from the December group.  Welcome to the forum.  This is the place for you for support to quit.  I could not have quit myself after 40 yrs if I had not had this place full of support and information on nicotine addiction.

If possible begin at the beginning of the thread and read through all the articles.

Fight the Urge to Smoke by Knowing These 4 Triggers

Here's a great list ModJenn put together that should come in handy:

Quit Toolbox

• Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat. Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat...
  • Knowledge is power. Read everything you can get your hands on about this addiction. The more you understand about your own addiction to nicotine, the better equipped you become to get through the cessation process.
  • Post on the Forum until your fingers are sore. Post, post, post. 
  • Closely related: Go to the NOPE pledge daily and hold yourself accountable.
  • When you come across posts that inspire and/or strengthen you ~ copy and paste them into a Word document. In this way, you can reread them when you feel wibbly wobbly and are climbing the walls.
  • Distract, distract, distract. (Shhhh.....I would do jumping jacks and by the time I got to about 10-12 I was distracted -- that's for sure. Try puzzles, reading a book, anything that shifts the focus of your thoughts.) More generally, stop whatever you are doing, move, and do something else. The craving will pass.
  • Remind yourself this is a journey and the more time you put between now and that last cigarette, the stronger your quit muscles become and the more you have in your quit toolbox. Take it one minute and hour at at time, if necessary, and the days will keep adding up.
  • Every day you go to bed smoke-free is a good day. Be kind to yourself along the way.
  • What you are experiencing is normal - "this too shall pass".
  • Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on lotion.
  • Read your quit reasons.
  • Create a list of all the benefits you are experiencing now that you no longer smoke. Practice gratitude at least once a day for these benefits and life changes.
  • Cinnamon flavored sugar-free gum (even cinnamon sticks).
  • Chai tea (I had to avoid coffee for a while but can drink it now without a problem).
  • Eat healthy snacks, such as carrots or frozen grapes (Some honesty here: I didn't always do so well with this one due to this pesky sweet tooth I developed once I could taste my food again. The good news is that as my quit felt more secure my eating wasn't as erratic.)
  • Protect your quit at all costs by avoiding situations that are high-risk for you, especially in the early part of the quit (e.g., other smokers, alcohol, etc.).
  • Make a plan for handling cravings when around temptation. Do not enter potentially difficult situations without a plan.
  • Remind yourself that it's going to be okay - time is your friend as you relearn every aspect of daily life.
  • Keep a journal to record your journey and it's easier to see how far you have come (It gave me perspective at times when I needed to remember that I may not be where I want to be but I'm most certainly not where I used to be.).
  • Reward yourself for the small accomplishments and the larger milestones (this doesn't' have to involve spending money).
  • Exercise - go for walks, join a gym, just keep moving.
  • Accept and tell yourself (that self-talk we have to turn from negative to positive) that the craving is actually a sign of healing and they will occur less frequently and with less intensity as the smoke-free days add up.
  • Deep breathing -- take 4-5 deep breaths -- fill up your diaphragm and and make your tummy stick out.
  • As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". 
  • As ModMic says: "SOME DAYS, IT IS ENOUGH THAT YOU JUST DON'T SMOKE. Some days are crappy from beginning to end, and you can kick, scream, cry, punch something, bite someone's head off...if you did not smoke, you win and a little more healing happened".
  • Visualize a craving like a wave washing over you. The tide does leave. 
  • Tell yourself four things: (1) Smoking is no longer an option regardless of what life throws your way; (2) I am worthy of freedom from this addiction; (3) I can. I will. End of story; and (4) I am stronger than this challenge and this challenge is making me stronger.
Lubbercat

12/11/19

Prawl8

How are you doing this morning with the quit?  I am into day 2 so I am happy with that.......I think we are all scared of quitting but, I know I am more scared of not quitting with the health issues we face.  Hang in there, you got this!