About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

menapause and staying quit   Health Support and Encouragement

Started 3/3/19 by l1717mary; 886 views.
Twinflame269

3/3/19

Hi Mary

Im stopping smoking tomorrow after 33 years and has have been going through perimenopause and menopause for the past 12 years. I am 50 this year. No one talks about the menopause period so lets talk

I have had every symptom and on the highest HRT and it has been hell. 

How's it been for you? 

l1717mary

3/3/19

Hi Twinflame

It is the best thing you can do I smoked for 42 years tried to stop lots of times I am going thru menopause for 6 years now GOD I dont know if the way I am feeling is from quitting or menapause people seem to not talk about it. There is a period of the day when I get really down  can last a couple of hours I even feel a bit panicky so I take small breaths in and out slowly.

I hate to feel this way just want to run away as far as I can and forget who I am ( CRAZY THINKING).

What do other people feel.

Mary 3 months 

Stay strong you can do this one day at a time.

spartanfan

3/3/19

Definitely in pre-menopause here...in fact need to make appointment with my obgyn to see if I can get hormone levels checked.  I know I’m on the younger edge for it (47 end of April) but my periods have been wonky for about 3 years now.  And haven’t had one since August (not pregnant!)   Have wondered a lot about my moods/anxiety levels and whether it’s from hormones, not smoking or both.  

J

AnnieXS

3/3/19

Hi Mary:

I've been through both menopause and smoking cessation.  I quit smoking at 49. I started peri-menopause in my late 30's and stopped having my period at 48 .  I definitely went through it earlier than most.  Having said all of that, quitting did not come easily to me.  I cried daily for the first 4 months and had serious struggles all the way through 14 months.  After that I finally settled in but still wrestled with stressful situations of which there were many at that time.  Speaking from personal experience, I really couldn't distinguish between menopause and smoking cessation symptoms.  It seems that the lines were blurred, but it would explain the severity of my withdrawal both physically and psychologically.  Today, things have leveled out in both areas.  It teaches you patience with the process which is something I was lacking prior to this, in a big way. ;)

Congratulations on 3 months!  It does get better. :)

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015

l1717mary

3/3/19

Hi Annie

I never learned about menapause it was only when I started to get hot flushes and told one of my friend I have learned it from the net people seem to stay quit about it I personaly think we need to talk.

Well done nearly 4 years quit.

I am frighting my way tru all of this .

Mary 

AnnieXS

3/3/19

Hi Mary:

Agreed that it isn't talked about enough and thank you for the "well done". :)

Keep fighting the good fight.  I know it feels like the physical and emotional upheaval will never subside.  Just tell yourself it is how you are going to live your days for now and continue to remind yourself there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Every once in a while I have a romantic flashback of smoking or what I refer to as a false memory.  It's just a brief moment in time that no longer occupies my thoughts.  I told myself long ago that if I ever started up again, I would never stop because I couldn't relive the rollercoaster of that first year.  It's a powerful deterrent that has prevented me from thinking about "just one".

You are doing this!  You will wake up one day, in the not-so-distant future, and truly feel free.

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015     

l1717mary

3/3/19

Hi Annie

I try to keep my sprit up I know that I won't smoke for this moment I think I am just missing my slug

( nicotine). 

It is amazing how one can feel so low yet so proud of quitting 

Mary 

AnnieXS

3/3/19

Yes, it is a mixed bag of emotions, that's for sure. :)

AnnieXS

Quit May 8, 2015

l1717mary

3/3/19

Hi all 

Menopause,buzzing in ears nicotine withdrawal but life will still go on I need energy my sister is staying the night her cigs are on the kitchen table I will not touch one I know by having one I will be back to where I don't ever want to be.

Mary 3 months

Belinda2019

11/18/19

Oh good God, you could be talking about me!

I’m finding late peri and nicotine withdrawal symptoms are identical. In fact, one reason why I’ve quit is because the nicotine cravings I was getting whilst actually smoking a cigarette were doing my head in! And that’s when I realised it was all part of the ‘fun’ meno journey. And like I said to my partner ‘I already feel like rubbish, I’m probably going to barely notice any difference’. LOL

What a fantastic hand we ladies get dealt angry

Seized the Day 17th October 2019

dizzy