About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quitting Causing Depression   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/2/19 by missmypal; 14826 views.
l1717mary

10/17/19

Hi Rass

THings are good but still miss my friend but I hope he is gone for ever because I know I cant have him back he was slowly killing me.

Have been out shopping for my new KEY.

Well done 19 months  I am watching you get too 2 year mark.

This forum is amazing life is for living.

Mary

Rassister

10/17/19

Hey Mary,

it really makes me happy to see that you never gave up and you beat this.  The clubhouse is a great destination and truly a life changing accomplishment. What is your quit date?   

l1717mary

10/18/19

Good morning Rass

MY quit date is the 7-12 2018 by my quit meter I am into my 11 month. My quit meter will show me when I will be one year quit so when the time comes I will be checking every day cant wait to see it showing 12 months.

I still can't believe that I am nearly a year this quit just started off as one day then another day week weeks now it months.My  other quitsI was thinking about next day next month next year when all I needed to do was just stay in the moment hour, day week. month. As I sit here typing this I think about a cig but all it is a thought just have to let it go.

Mary 11 months

MollyClark

7/25/20

Yes, I fully agree with the author that only some tablets have a healing effect! To be honest, I experienced it myself. After several years of suffering from insomnia, I have already tried dozens of types of sleeping pills. Yes, some of them helped me, but only up to a certain moment, and then I become addictive. Then I tried the Amitriptyline pills, which the doctor advised me to take from this site worldpharm365.com. I thought it was just another dummy, but it really worked! I started to sleep soundly and didn't even increase the dose for about 2-3 months. After six months of taking these pills, I taught my body to fall asleep using a technique that I was prescribed by the doctor...

arlcruise

7/28/20

What helped me in this regard was recognizing smoking was a self created state of depression. Because of the need to re nicotine ourselves after crashing from an endless cycle of needing to feed ourselves. 

Meredith (GettinFree)

7/31/20

Missmypal, I'm glad I'm not alone, though you may be a forum ghost by now.
I wish anybody talked about how nicotine is an antidepressant and how the ONE THING you don't do with an antidepressant is abruptly stop taking it without medical supervision. I wish I had known the psychological shock would cost me my favorite pastime and my best friend and how the imminent threat of also losing husband and roof would break me. (Thankfully I still have both and they're a great support as I glue myself back together.) I wish anyone talked about how a year is just a convenient fiction and how that key's gonna feel pretty dang Pyrrhic when I still feel like this in a month and four days. I wish I had found this thread and the "Tricky 8-11 Months" about, ohsay, 10 months ago.
On the other hand, I shudder to think of a shiny-eyed, determined New Quitter coming upon this rant or others. So maybe it's for the best.

I know my brain and psyche will heal. I know I'll rebuild better, faster, stronger. I know this is my Path and what I need to learn.
And so far, it really, really sucks.

missmypal

8/1/20

Hi. I hear ya’ and feel ya’. It took me almost 18 months to climb out of depression, which I’m not sure was 100% related to quitting. But quitting and being without the chemical comfort of cigarettes definitely prolonged it. I didn’t come out of it in a snap. It was gradual, but I did come out of it. Still smoke free and feel pretty good about giving up smokes. No cravings, even if I have a drink. Or two. 
you WILL come out of this! You have to keep telling yourself that. Because it’s the truth. You are doing a good job, even if it doesn’t feel that way. You are going to be okay. Smoking won’t help now. But maybe talk to your doc about Rx anti-depressants. I take them. Hang in there and do only as much as you can. 
Marci

arlcruise

8/1/20

Try looking at whyquit, Joel Spitzer. You may find answers. I did.

missmypal

8/1/20

Thanks. I’m firmly a non-smoker now. No cravings. Lucky I guess.

Msg 4577.101 deleted