About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Day 1’ner   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started 10/31/19 by cbeel5; 2565 views.
ModDee

11/1/19

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm so glad you decided to come in with us.  Take a look at the article below on getting through your first week of quitting and then the post below it from Mod Jenn.  Even if you've read it before in your browsing here a re-read is always beneficial.

Here's a wonderful list ModJenn put together that should come in handy.

Quit Toolbox

• Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat. Drink ice water through a straw. Repeat...
  • Knowledge is power. Read everything you can get your hands on about this addiction. The more you understand about your own addiction to nicotine, the better equipped you become to get through the cessation process.
  • Post on the Forum until your fingers are sore. Post, post, post. 
  • Closely related: Go to the NOPE pledge daily and hold yourself accountable.
  • When you come across posts that inspire and/or strengthen you ~ copy and paste them into a Word document. In this way, you can reread them when you feel wibbly wobbly and are climbing the walls.
  • Distract, distract, distract. (Shhhh.....I would do jumping jacks and by the time I got to about 10-12 I was distracted -- that's for sure. Try puzzles, reading a book, anything that shifts the focus of your thoughts.) More generally, stop whatever you are doing, move, and do something else. The craving will pass.
  • Remind yourself this is a journey and the more time you put between now and that last cigarette, the stronger your quit muscles become and the more you have in your quit toolbox. Take it one minute and hour at at time, if necessary, and the days will keep adding up.
  • Every day you go to bed smoke-free is a good day. Be kind to yourself along the way.
  • What you are experiencing is normal - "this too shall pass".
  • Take a shower. Brush your teeth. Put on lotion.
  • Read your quit reasons.
  • Create a list of all the benefits you are experiencing now that you no longer smoke. Practice gratitude at least once a day for these benefits and life changes.
  • Cinnamon flavored sugar-free gum (even cinnamon sticks).
  • Chai tea (I had to avoid coffee for a while but can drink it now without a problem).
  • Eat healthy snacks, such as carrots or frozen grapes (Some honesty here: I didn't always do so well with this one due to this pesky sweet tooth I developed once I could taste my food again. The good news is that as my quit felt more secure my eating wasn't as erratic.)
  • Protect your quit at all costs by avoiding situations that are high-risk for you, especially in the early part of the quit (e.g., other smokers, alcohol, etc.).
  • Make a plan for handling cravings when around temptation. Do not enter potentially difficult situations without a plan.
  • Remind yourself that it's going to be okay - time is your friend as you relearn every aspect of daily life.
  • Keep a journal to record your journey and it's easier to see how far you have come (It gave me perspective at times when I needed to remember that I may not be where I want to be but I'm most certainly not where I used to be.).
  • Reward yourself for the small accomplishments and the larger milestones (this doesn't' have to involve spending money).
  • Exercise - go for walks, join a gym, just keep moving.
  • Accept and tell yourself (that self-talk we have to turn from negative to positive) that the craving is actually a sign of healing and they will occur less frequently and with less intensity as the smoke-free days add up.
  • Deep breathing -- take 4-5 deep breaths -- fill up your diaphragm and and make your tummy stick out.
  • As ModLisa says: "When in doubt go to sleep". 
  • As ModMic says: "SOME DAYS, IT IS ENOUGH THAT YOU JUST DON'T SMOKE. Some days are crappy from beginning to end, and you can kick, scream, cry, punch something, bite someone's head off...if you did not smoke, you win and a little more healing happened".
  • Visualize a craving like a wave washing over you. The tide does leave. 
  • Tell yourself four things: (1) Smoking is no longer an option regardless of what life throws your way; (2) I am worthy of freedom from this addiction; (3) I can. I will. End of story; and (4) I am stronger than this challenge and this challenge is making me stronger.

Best wishes as you continue your cessation journey.

(((Hugs)))

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/2/19

My GOD, you're a wonderful person!

Jonny84

11/2/19

Debbie - I'm so sorry to hear that - sounds like you have misery hitting from all sides.  Hopefully you are able to get out of your funk soon.  I'm on day 7 and it's a lot more manageable than day 2 that's for sure.  It's nice to not have to run to the cig store every day.  I wish you all the best and will say a prayer for ya - Hang in there - U got this!

DebbieMC317

11/2/19

Thank you!  Its like day 4 now?  The craving for a cig feels 1000 times worse. Its ALL I think about.  Everyone says it gets better. Just waiting on that to happen. Lol thanks for the encouragement! Keep up the good work! 

Jonny84

11/2/19

I totally know the feeling.  It really will get better - just have to wait - and the waiting can be HELL!!  It's so hard to quit - it is really worth it though when it gets better.  There's nothing really fancy about it - you  just don't have really any cravings at all.  And of course - when I got a cold when I was a non smoker - it would last like 3 days instead of 3 weeks. So ya - I guess there is something fancy about it - lol

48yrsmokin

11/3/19

Well another day has started. Theres a nice purple aND PINK SUNRISE out there that I appreciate seeing when it happens.Are you still smoke free eveeryone.??????????   It's such a great feeling to start the Day cup of coffee- then theirs that first morning craving to say NOPE to for the first time of the day. You know there will more but it so easy to say NOPE to them all.  Last night was the test night out.Football party crappy game with good friends and 1/2 are smokers and the other half are EX_ SMOKERS. Made it thru the night With NOPE helped me out numorous times. But that got me thru day 24 . Now on day 25 YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!  Who would thought after almost 50 yrs. of smoking that I could finally put down those life sucking white sticks and walk away. OH WHAT A FEELING SMOKE FREE. I keep saying to my self that I can't beleive that I have made it this far after all those try's and gimmics of the past. I know that I'm not out of the woods that any time the smokey dude is still there in my head and sometimes he gets deep in my thoughts hard to shake.  I HOPE HE GOES AWAY SOMEDAY. Untill then one day at a time. One craving at a time. And say NOPE to them all

You've got the QUIT MINDSET!! Nice job. It takes that kind of thinking to get free. Now just keep it. Say NOT ONE PUFF EVER AGAIN!!!! Refuse to lose! Don't let anything or anyone sabotage your quit. Stay stubborn in your resolve to stay quit for life.

You don't need them anymore! Just Don't Smoke! One leads to thousands more. Persist resist exist! Chose freedom! Don't fall for it ever again because it's a trap! Tell that nicotine monster voice to shut up every time he screams at you or tries his pleading seductive voice to snare you back to the addiction. No More No Way I'm So Done with smoking! All these slogans ran through my thoughts while I was quitting and I'm so glad I stuck out the battle and you will too. Keep on NOPING!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

ermmre

11/3/19

Hi!

I am a returning member. I quit in September 2018 and was smoke-free for 9 months, but last summer I began to play with cigarettes here and there. I was able to quit for a few weeks every time after I had a relapse but after my last relapse this weekend, I decided to start again from point zero here and come back to the forums, joining the November quitters. I have bought lozenges this time, but I am not sure I will use them (the box says I should use them at least nine times a day but I just wanted to have them handy in case the cravings during the first days become unbearable. FYI, last time I quit I did it cold turkey. I had a few rough days and a lot of crying-- I should have written about it in a journal to have it handy now).

In any case, have realized, for me, the most important issue to control is the psychological dependence and the fact that I fool myself into thinking that I am a happier person when I smoke. These forums helped me a lot when quitting in 2018, so I am determined to use them again on a regular basis for many months to come.

Thanks for being there. This a wonderful community!

MariaE

Brenda (1sept19)

11/4/19

Welcome back, Maria !  There are a lot of us who have been here before and we just keep trying.  I am determined that this is the final quit and I won't fall for the junkie thinking again.  You know the drill and what to do, so I will just say welcome and wishing you all the best.

ermmre

11/4/19

Thank you so much. And nice to meet you online!

This time is going much smoother than back in September 2018. So far, I haven´t used any of those lozenges that I bought, and I do not feel particularly moody or tired. For me, it is the long run what it seems to be a huge problem. After a couple of weeks or even months of not smoking, I can´t hold it any longer. I go back for a few cigarettes or one pack. Then, a few weeks "sober", and back to one pack. But now, I am determined not to do it again. This forum is going to help a lot. I know.

Have a wonderful smoke-free day!