About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Help with the BS of quitting smoking   General Chit-Chat

Started 11/9/19 by Kirk71; 281 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1

The anxiety of the quit is Real Nasty! You have only been quit three months and you certainly cannot expect to feel normal yet as this is the wickedest drug addiction to get free from. If quitting was easy, everyone would be quit. The shortness of breath and feeling crappy will all go away slowly very slowly. There is no rushing this its just putting lots of quit time behind you. Your brain chemistry was changed once you got hooked but getting unhooked is the hard part as this addiction is intertwined with memories, emotions and time, this is why it takes a year or more till we can live life as an exsmoker. Do not go back to smoking because your lungs will eventually get emphysema or lung cancer and you'll regret still having the ugly habit (drug addiction). Your breathing will get better and as for that anger- blame it on those cigarettes as they did this to you. We made cigarette manufacturers rich at our expense. Well no more! We are all going to fight hard for our freedom! No more excuses! Keep a No Fear Attitude and stay on course. Be proud to be free -- keep going no matter what crap this addiction throws at you. It truly will get better!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!' I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013

Kirk71

11/9/19

Thank god I have a wife who lets things roll off her shoulders, but the anger thing is annoying.  But I will keep fighting the fight. I honestly don't crave the nicotine. What I crave, as you pointed out is the memories and associations with smoking.  That will be the hard part.  Thank you for the advice!

In reply toRe: msg 6

When that anxiety, jitters and anger hit me, I would go and punch pillows or do jumping jacks something anything to shock myself. Cigarettes screwed up our nervous system, engrained itself in our every emotion, thoughts, and daily activities throughout all the different holidays and seasons so this is why it takes a year or more to make new nonsmoking memories. Make some fun memories with your wife and tell that nicotine monster to aahh shut up! Keep Going!!

"Quitting isn't for Sissies!" I quit poisoning myself Sept. 27, 2013