About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

April 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 28267 views.
lmnopqrstuv

Apr-20

Loreficent said:

https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html#html

Thank you Loreficent for the resource.  I have started reading the book and it is helping already.  I like how it is science based and no nonsense.  I am still smoke free and hopefully when finish reading the book, I can understand why I am feeling this way after a year.  Thank you again and I will let you and others know about my progress.  Thank you.

Anne2020

Apr-20

Hi how are ya!  I have been quit for 15+ months now and I hear what you are sayin about getting the notion to smoke after a year or more of a quit.  Sometimes it pops into my head about smoking again and, like you, the thoughts linger day after day.  Thankfully its not really a craving as much as it is a lingering compulsion to smoke just one.  The more I think about it, the more it comes up in my thoughts.

I've read allot of people who are past the one year mark and more on this forum and had lingering thoughts, or compulsions, pop up throughout their lives.  It is the plight of the addict this his/her resolve be tested and retested for perhaps the rest of their lives. 

Some succumb and end up back to rekindle their abstinence.  Alcoholics, drug addicts, and other addicts  go through the same things.  It is the plight of the addict.  

Addiction is life long.  Abstinence is the only salvation.

Don't smoke - not even one puff - ever - if you want to maintain the healthy lifestyle you have accomplished.

Cheers!

KatieKat84

Apr-20

Hi,

I’m sorry your thoughts have been dominated by smoking the past couple of weeks. As others have said it is unfortunately part of the addiction that we can still have these thoughts long after we stop. Maybe you had your sights set on getting to one year and now that you have achieved that you have to adjust to a new phase of your quit?

I found things continued to improve a lot between years 1 and 2. After 2 years I felt so much more confident in my quit and hardly thought about smoking. Have you seen on this forum being 2 years quit is called ‘getting to the clubhouse’? I think there’s some statistic like you’re 80% likely to remain smoke free forever if you get to 2 years. In any case it felt like a refuge to aim for!

It’s only junky thinking that’s making you consider smoking again, that it wasn’t so bad etc. You know it does absolutely nothing for you!

Congratulations on being 1 year quit.

Katie

Quit 4th March 2017