About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 17438 views.
KalyaRed

Jun-14

Hi Tiny Badger, 

Post as much as you need to. That's what the forum is for. I have the opposite problem - I'm not always here and sometimes miss important messages, but we are all as available as we can. 

I love the message from DbAnne wishing us a speedy recovery - isn't it an amazing message? We can recover from this addiction. 

Ana

TinyBadger

Jun-14

Welcome! I felt a sense of grief. Cigarettes were my best friend. They were always there for me, for the celebrations and the losses, the smiles and the tears. I always had them at my side. Please know that you are not alone. Post any time about anything. We're here for you.

TinyBadger

Jun-14

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like kalyared and I are both with you--im on day three as well. It's been a rough one. I started smoking after 7 years smober. Then I quit again for 135 days and relapsed. It just goes to show what everyone here says, don't get too confident and treat your quit like a baby. You just pick yourself up and keep trying. We're here for you, post anytime.

Loreficent

Jun-14

I would say that if anyone were annoyed by how or where you post it is a lick on them. We all process in different ways! The beauty of this place is the individual, independent, yet collective journey we are all on. Do whatever works for you. 
There is something to be learned from each and every post. Sometimes the learning is for all, sometimes it is just for the one posting in the way they are allowed to process it out. 
Please keep posting. It will help you. 
Someone was looking for a quote to share with a group they were going to attend...was that you?

slowblumer

Jun-14

Hi Ana,

Keep on getting back up.

Loreficent

Jun-14

I don’t think stumbling makes you a masochist, unless we are all just naturally that by being human...

There are some blessed to have a perfect journey in that they go a long time without one, perhaps years, but even they struggle on the journey and come back here to acknowledge they are still addicts. They all usually tell about hitting a point of feeling release and freedom, but I think the key lies in acceptance of being an addict and finding a way to live with that. Kind of like when we started to smoke we let this part move in to our minds and at the time we didn’t realize it was moving in permanently. But when we decide to stop smoking we want it to move out. And it can’t. So maybe we just have to find a way to live with it...?

Just an angle I’m pondering.  Sure wish I could charge it rent! Haha.

slowblumer

Jun-14

Hi Dotti,

Welcome.  The 3rd day can be a tough one-glad you are here.  Read everything you can so you can kick this addiction for good.

The Icky Threes and Smoking Cessation

The icky threes refer to certain phases of smoking cessation that can be challenging as we move through nicotine withdrawal and beyond.

TinyBadger

Jun-14

Why, yes , it was me. Do you have any ideas? You are a wonderful writer and I enjoy reading your posts 

Loreficent

Jun-14

Oh, thank you. 
I realize my writing ventures out and includes things that on the surface don’t seem to have much to do with smoking. This is when I hope folks understand that perhaps, under the surface, it does, in the sense that we are all different in how we process and express. As I told DJ, sometimes I’m writing to express what at times smoking suppressed. What I mean is, I would often go off to smoke to have some time alone and just think. I am not a person who can close my eyes to things around me easily. I do carve out time each day to just be alone, and it is a great need that if I do not get it I can become unbalanced. Used to struggle with that part and fight it and feel as though I had to be “on” all the time. It still takes work to pull back and force myself to regain some balance and reign in some passion for things, but, now, I am growing daily in my ability to do that. This was a huge part of smoking for me I think. So, maybe it can be helpful for you too to recognize some connections other than just the nicotine that smoking had for you? I’ve always been a “mover” physically, meaning it is very hard for my body to be still. So...I walk. A lot. Now several hours a day some days without smoking. Weather has never stopped me (I live in Portland so if you’re gonna live here you can’t be bothered much by rain or you will be bothered a lot) , light or time of day doesn’t matter, and even being somewhat ill at times doesn’t stop me. Just gotta move. Anyway...see if you can take a stroll...just get out and let your mind go and notice what is around you. Notice the way the light filters through tress, notice the shifting of a breeze, notice the movement of clouds, notice the change of smells and the feel of moving from sun to shade. Notice too the voice that says “I need a smoke”. Take it with you and teach it new comforts. 
Here is a quote I posted a while back that is not mine but I liked it. No known author to credit...

”Don’t wait for your feelings to change to take the action. Take the action and your feelings will change.”

KalyaRed

Jun-14

Hi L! 

"sometimes I’m writing to express what at times smoking suppressed. "

I'd never thought of that, that smoking meant some me time in a way and that supressed thoughts are bound to explode into a relapse. That's a great point of view! 

That certainly puts a lot of relapses in perspective. Maybe I should listen to myself more and act out less :)