About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 26468 views.
Nope62

6/15/20

Welcome to this forum!

Yes, I have had the same problem, grieving or feeling sad about not smoking. It's odd, but others have told me it is a normal part of the quitting process. I am at times "romancing the cigarette". That is part of the junkie thinking I have to talk myself out of from time to time.

If you are serious about quitting smoking, you have came to the right place. There are many people here who will help you through the process. Post often, about how you are feeling. Commit to your quit by taking the daily Nope pledge.  Make a promise to yourself each day not to smoke and keep it! Don't worry about tomorrow, you can deal with it when it gets here. One Day At A Time

Good Luck! Jeff

slowblumer

6/15/20

DebraAnne60 said:

How do I share this articles? https://www.verywellmind.com/mind-games-go-both-ways-when-you-quit-smoking-2824894

So, open the article.  At the top right click on the URL and select 'copy'.  Then you can paste it in a post.

In reply toRe: msg 62
slowblumer

6/15/20

Hi June Ex-Smokers,

Good description in this article on health benefits the first weeks/months after we quit and discusses the difference between nicotine withdrawal and psychological urges.

KalyaRed

6/15/20

Hi Jeff!

Yeah I'm playing the same game! It does seem masochist at times but it's the nature of addiction. I have faith that sooner or later one of the quits will be the last one! 

I don't dare say this is going to be the one, I'm taking one day at a time though. 

I also fell in love with working out on my previous quit. Having relapsed I found myself thinking ridiculous thoughts like "I can't start smoking again! Tomorrow is cardio day!" 

So I guess I'm not yet a confident ex smoker and I'm not a mindless smoker anymore. I'm paving the road between the two. Let's stop this silly game and quit for real this time! 

Let's guard our quits :) 

KittieM

6/15/20

Thank you :) It is good to know  - It seemed such a strange way to feel but what you said makes sense! Yep - sadly a best (and reliable) friend through thick and thin for more years than I like to mention. 

KittieM

6/15/20

Thank you very much! I really found it strange until you and @tinybadger made it quite obvious :) I feel more settled now, always good to find a reason for something and I have read all the info thank you again!

KittieM

6/15/20

Thank you Jeff! Wise words and I am grateful for them. It is such a mind game - and I am disciplined across the board..... apart from this.

One day at a time is true, although right now it seems like one hour at time  - ha ha ha 

Thanks Again - Kittie

TinyBadger

6/15/20

One hour at a time for me, too. There are times the clock seems to drag. I noticed today my jaw was hurting, and then this afternoon I realized that I've been clenching my teeth! Talk about white knuckling it through! I have lozenges, but I didn't even think about them. I just clenched the day away, apparently.

SusanK1960

6/15/20

Hey Tiny,

Early on, whenever I had a craving, I would take that time to mindfully deep breath and force myself to relax and would notice I always had to force my jaw and shoulders to unclench.  You could even add some relaxing meditating music for additional benefit, even for 3 minutes. 

TinyBadger

6/15/20

That's a great idea. I didn't even realize I was doing it! I need to be better at taking breaks and relaxing. I've been doing a guided morning meditation, but I should try using those same techniques throughout the day.