About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

June 2020 Ex-Smokers    Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/3/19 by ModDee; 30916 views.
TinyBadger

6/15/20

One hour at a time for me, too. There are times the clock seems to drag. I noticed today my jaw was hurting, and then this afternoon I realized that I've been clenching my teeth! Talk about white knuckling it through! I have lozenges, but I didn't even think about them. I just clenched the day away, apparently.

SusanK1960

6/15/20

Hey Tiny,

Early on, whenever I had a craving, I would take that time to mindfully deep breath and force myself to relax and would notice I always had to force my jaw and shoulders to unclench.  You could even add some relaxing meditating music for additional benefit, even for 3 minutes. 

TinyBadger

6/15/20

That's a great idea. I didn't even realize I was doing it! I need to be better at taking breaks and relaxing. I've been doing a guided morning meditation, but I should try using those same techniques throughout the day.

SusanK1960

6/15/20

Since the cravings would come about every hour at the beginning, it was an “easy reminder” to “relax” by taking deep breaths mindfully relaxing.  Also, sucking ice water from a straw gives some relaxing also.

Nope62

6/15/20

HI!

I hope I can quit playing this game. I've read that most quitters don't succeed on the first try. That most quitters have a better chance of succeeding after multiple tries. I hope this is true and that this is the final one for me!

Good luck!

Nope62

6/15/20

It has been one hour at a time for me also early in my quits. But I've found that if I can hang on, fight each craving by using distractions, that they do let up.

Everyday the cravings and urges get a little less intense and a little further apart. They don't go away altogether for months, but you will notice that you can handle them a lot easier.  You can do this!

Good Luck!

• Edited June 15, 2020 11:40 pm  by  Nope62
overdoz

6/16/20

Trying to take it one day at a time, had made it 5 days and then lit up again, i have been mostly quit all year though which is a positive thing, dont know why i keep slipping back though. I mean i kinda do know my triggers, well i found a cig today in the garage and i crushed it, so far so good gonna hit the bike trails a little to kill the time, enjoy the summer day. 

Overdoz quit 06-16-2020

TinyBadger

6/16/20

Good for you! You'll get this thing whipped, I know you will. Distraction does wonders. I've been at work, eating all day. I'm on day 6 and I've been fine until today. I'm not sure what's happening, but its not good. Did anyone else get this? I've been so good lately, now I'm struggling. 

overdoz

6/16/20

Oh yeah, i just had made it 5 days and broke down yesterday and smoked 3 cigs, im going to try the twelve steps that have helped me stop drinking now for 2 months, admitted that we were powerless over smoking, that our lives had become unmanageable...

Overdoz quit 04-16-2020

TinyBadger

6/16/20

That sounds like a good idea. I have heard of people quitting that way, because they are both addictions. I'd be interested to see if you find success that way.