About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 34095 views.
gkim

1/6/21

Yes, first thing in the morning is my toughest too and when I get up in the middle of the night. When I smoked I didn’t mind so much I did that since I can just have a cigarette. I’m a little over two months and those urges have subsided considerably. Some mornings I actually don’t even think about it. I keep thinking it’s a miracle. What our bodies and and minds are capable of is amazing. Good luck to you and keep reading. For me the Quit Stories on this forum is really helpful. It’s a reminder to me why I need to stay strong! Welcome! 

In reply toRe: msg 27
Anne2020

1/6/21

Forgetting to think about smoking (the peace) - that's the first sign that you are well on your way.  That inner peace will become longer and longer as the days and weeks go by.  Soon, you will forget about smoking all day.  Then it will become something you only used to do. 

Congradulations and well done.  

Msg 5459.29 deleted
In reply toRe: msg 27
abrewster14

1/6/21

Thank you so much it helps to hear that someone else experienced the same thing. I truly can’t believe it won’t be the first thought in the morning. I think it would be a miracle!! Congrats on your quit. 

Anne2020

1/6/21

I have to admit it was a miracle to me as well - not thinking about smoking, especially in the morning.  But it does happen and I have never been more proud of myself than reaching the one year quit on January 1, 2021.  Forgetting about smoking expands day by day but only if you do not smoke.  So many have done this, no reason why you cannot do it too.  Keep up the great work.   

Cheers

gkim

1/6/21

Wow, a whole year! Congratulations!

In reply toRe: msg 32
Anne2020

1/6/21

Thank you so much -  once I got going the time wizzed by - I barely even really noticed after about the third or fourth month.  I was a heavy long-time smoker too who lives with two heavy smokers.  Now, it doesn't even occur to me to smoke.

So keep going because it does get easier as time goes by.

Cheers    

• Edited January 6, 2021 2:50 pm  by  Anne2020
MDS27

1/6/21

Awesome work Carla,

You're setting a strong example and should be proud of yourself. What do you find is working for you?

abrewster14

1/6/21

You are inspiring. I can’t imagine living with smokers and quitting. I’m day 6 and there moments I physically have to restrain myself from going to the store to get a pack especially in the morning. I swear my brain is trying to tell me that I love smoking and miss it. 

Anne2020

1/6/21

Only one braincell is trying to convince you to smoke.  The rest of your braincells are working on ways to outwit that smoker brain cell.   Look to this forum and find different ways to distract yourself to create a diversion from the smoker braincell. 

Examples: ice cold water through a straw - deep breathing (long inhales in through the nose and slow exhales through the mouth), exercise - ie walk around the block, hot bath (my favourite), munching on foods (crunchy foods seem to work best) - reading the articles in this forum as well as posts of other members. 

Distraction is key to outwitting that smoker braincell.  

I've read that a craving lasts about three minutes so if you can distract yourself for those three minutes then you win.

Keep up the good work and you will notice improvements everyday.  It's accumulative process.  

Cheers!