About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 33885 views.
Loreficent

Feb-11

Well, so glad you’re here, so you’re welcome!

Yeah...it’s a very odd little bug. Read an article this morning about the oldest living person in Europe. She is a Nun in Southern France who is 117 years old today! Wowza. So, she had COVID and is fine. So the scariest and most confounding thing is the unpredictability of it really. None of us know what camp we’d be in. 

I wrote to another newer person here last night how in hindsight the actual worst part about quitting was really the time before actually going through with it! The agony of knowing we want to and should, and the fear of actually taking the step to do it. Ugh! That is a perpetual, never ending cycle as long as we smoke! At least with the craves they pass in a few minutes and then we are left with a feeling of accomplishment and empowerment, right? So good. You’re doing so so good. blush

Please, call me Lore. Lori is fine too. Another person here uses Lorie. Nice to meet you Anne Abrew! grin

• Edited February 11, 2021 3:24 pm  by  Loreficent
abrewster14

Feb-11

Haha I just wrote a huge long response and it disappeared. Here we go again. Abrew is more than okay or Anne is good. 

haha I followed the link nope62 sent and printed it out and put it on the fridge. I definitely am living in no mans land some days but what’s the most encouraging I think is that I am not there everyday. 

thank you for sharing your Covid vaccine experience. I think not unlike staying smoke free - we make each other stronger collectively and individually. I do feel very lucky to have received the vaccinations. My boyfriend and I both work for the police so exposure to the public is guaranteed. Plus we have several elder family members we don’t want to expose. I am more than willing to go through the side effects for them. I just hope that we don’t have to do this yearly that would suck. I hear you about coworkers the vaccination stories and Covid stories. I have co workers whose whole family was down with Covid very badly for over three weeks and a co worker who will be on oxygen for the rest of his life. Alternatively my boyfriends 94 year old grandmother tested positive had a fever for three days and was perfectly fine. The vaccinations seem to be the same story. Hopefully we can get to herd immunity and get back to normal life soon. 

I was thinking that if you had told me in December before my quit that the stress of the Covid vaccination wouldn’t catapulted me back to smoking I would have laughed you off this forum. 

THANK YOU for your honestly and support.   

In reply toRe: msg 283
abrewster14

Feb-11

Sorry for the double post

Loreficent

Feb-11

Hahah!joy Oh, it’s actually funny when I see that happen to others. As much as I love this Forum, it’s not the most user friendly it seems! I’ve so many times written these big long almost novellas only to have them POOF! into the ether. Yeah...used to make me want to smoke, haha!joy

• Edited February 11, 2021 3:32 pm  by  Loreficent
abrewster14

Feb-11

Lori - so funny it didn’t occur to me. But yes in the past I would have definitely lit a smoke before when that happened. It’s sooo weird that it didn’t occur to me 

In reply toRe: msg 61
Moskus999

Feb-12

Hello Everyone,

My name is Malaya. I am new at this Forum. I currently a smoker. Was diagnosed accidently with early stage of Lung Cancer. I have no symptoms. The Patch, Gum, Throat Lozenges all make me shake. No Appetite. I have smoked since I was 14 years old I am 65. I start everyday off as a quitter, and then I give in to the E Cigarette Or buy a pack. Yes I have Cut down alot. However my Robotic is scheduled for March16th. One pack of cigarettes will last me 4 days in between I vape. So therefore I must put myself in the Category of Loser. Cannot Stop the Craving. I don't like to smoke it is more of a bad dirty habit. I don't smoke in the House only the Once Beautiful Master Bathroom. Our Home was brand new when we moved here 7 years ago. I am terrified of the Surgery. Morristown Medical Center New Jersey. This is very Hard for me. Please be kind. Not sure If I belong in this Forum with all Winners. I can see it I can Feel it, I just cannot make it to home plate. This has been going on for two weeks now. The Wonderful Smoking Cessation Coach Lisa said most people are completely off the Cigarettes by now. Very Encouraging for me. O well.

abrewster14

Feb-12

You are being so hard on yourself. I’m so sorry to hear you are sick. I was diagnosed with Copd last January.  Of course you belong here. We all do. We are all fighting the same habbit. It’s both physical and mental addiction. You have to deal with both addictions. You are trying everyday that’s what is important. I would say be prepared for me fizzy water, loads of crunchy veggies with yummy dressing dried fruit and nuts. Adam carrs book easy way to quit smoking is very helpful and I’m reading the power of habit Charles duhigg is helpful. I think it’s very important to be kind to yourself. In the early days I celebrated every minute every hour and then everyday smoke free. This group has been tremendously helpful for me. Remember that take it one day at a time. Just don’t smoke today. It’s interesting to me that when we light a smoke we are most often to end the feeling of withdrawal from the last smoke. That is to say to feel “normal”. You actually are seeking the feeling of not smoking. I’m using the patch and am on stage 2 14 milligrams even though I’m allergic to the adhesive. I super itchy but it’s better than smoking. I have days that I want to smoke more than anything but I have to say it would be three steps for me to smoke. Thanks to those on this forum - I would have to wait 24 hours to be sure I want to quit. Then I would have to go to the store and actually light one. That makes me think about it and makes me not want give up all the gains I have made. Plus - I don’t want to go back to the beginning. The sticky threes (3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months) are important to be on the look out for these and triggers. There are days I swear I miss smoking more than I am express but I stick with it - I come on here or yell or take a shower or take a walk, drink tons of water. You ARE NOT A LOSER. You can do this. I was thinking about my step dad who died of a heart attack at 48. My boyfriend just turned 48 on Tuesday and I hope he has decades more to live. How much a loss of life if that ? It’s so sad. But I get it trust me. I always hated the aa phrase one day at a time. But that’s really what it is - I’m just not smoking today and that has gotten me six weeks. I was a 20 year plus smoker and didn’t believe I could go without one for two hours. Don’t worry about next week or tomorrow. One day at a time. 

Lubbercat

Feb-12

To start with, you are not a "loser" for struggling with this, you are a winner because you are attempting to quit!  Most people on this forum are here because we have struggled and because we have slipped and we just keep trying until we finally get a quit that sticks.  Just keep trying to quit.  Use your vape, drink ice water, get some physical exercise, use a straw to suck air through, suck on hard candies/mints, eat frozen grapes.  If you go back to the page 1 of this thread, at the very beginning or the beginning of the February 2021 ex-smokers thread, you will find lots of information to read.  Be informed, know what to expect.  Make a list of your reasons for quitting and carry it with you to look at whenever you think of changing your mind.  Also, come on here and ask for help, wait for 3 responses before lighting up........hopefully after the 3 responses come, you will change your mind.  Also, start keeping track of every time you actually smoke.  write down what the "trigger" was.  Was it because you were angry?  Hungry?  Because you just finished a meal?  Whatever the reason, write it down and write down what you can do next time that trigger happens so that you don't smoke.

Hope some of this helps.  Good luck and take care of yourself.  

Nope62

Feb-12

Welcome! You are in the right place!

I am 64 years old and I have smoked since around the age of 14. So we are very similar in that respect.

I get a sense of depression or low self esteem from reading your post.

You are not any bigger a loser than the rest of us. I've been trying to quit for 10 years on and off.

I don't understand what type of surgery you are having from your post. It is good that they caught your lung cancer in the early stage. This should be your primary motivation for quitting this nasty habit!

I would suggest that you go to u tube and look for video's made by a man named Joel Spitzer. Watch and listen to as many of them as you can. Knowledge is power when it comes to quitting smoking. You have to know your enemy (Nicotine)!

Make a quit plan!

Make a list of the reason's you are quitting and keep that list where you can access it at anytime you need to remind your self why you are quitting. 

amdrewster14 gave you some really good advice! I agree totally about the one day at a time. Some days it will be one minute or one hour at a time. Get in there and fight for your life. Cheer up and try to find the positives in your life. We will be here for advice and support!

Good Luck!

abrewster14

Feb-12

I hope you are sticking in there. I thought of one thing that really helped me in the hardest first few days. (Mind you I’m working from home and stuck in my apartment or little box as I call it). You can’t smoke what you don’t have I threw out every smoke related thing I had ashtrays smokes vapes. You can scream and cry and jump up and down but if you don’t have them you can’t smoke them. Remember it’s an addiction. A heroine addict can’t have heroin around and an alcoholic early in quit can’t be around alcohol. The nicotine actually leaves your body from the second you put out that last cig and completely in three days. It’s the mental addiction more than anything. 
There is no magic pill nor do you need one. I’ve been to the mad Russian (he gave me my money back), hypnotists, taken anti depressants, patch, chantix ( never been more nauseated in my life). The thing is you just don’t smoke. That’s the secret. Honestly when I was smoking going more than 2 hours was a challenge. But it’s been six weeks. (Never made it this far in a quit). I take it each day. Everyday makes your quit stronger. Be kind to yourself and ask for understanding.