About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 34099 views.
Anne2020

1/6/21

I have to admit it was a miracle to me as well - not thinking about smoking, especially in the morning.  But it does happen and I have never been more proud of myself than reaching the one year quit on January 1, 2021.  Forgetting about smoking expands day by day but only if you do not smoke.  So many have done this, no reason why you cannot do it too.  Keep up the great work.   

Cheers

gkim

1/6/21

Wow, a whole year! Congratulations!

In reply toRe: msg 32
Anne2020

1/6/21

Thank you so much -  once I got going the time wizzed by - I barely even really noticed after about the third or fourth month.  I was a heavy long-time smoker too who lives with two heavy smokers.  Now, it doesn't even occur to me to smoke.

So keep going because it does get easier as time goes by.

Cheers    

• Edited January 6, 2021 2:50 pm  by  Anne2020
MDS27

1/6/21

Awesome work Carla,

You're setting a strong example and should be proud of yourself. What do you find is working for you?

abrewster14

1/6/21

You are inspiring. I can’t imagine living with smokers and quitting. I’m day 6 and there moments I physically have to restrain myself from going to the store to get a pack especially in the morning. I swear my brain is trying to tell me that I love smoking and miss it. 

Anne2020

1/6/21

Only one braincell is trying to convince you to smoke.  The rest of your braincells are working on ways to outwit that smoker brain cell.   Look to this forum and find different ways to distract yourself to create a diversion from the smoker braincell. 

Examples: ice cold water through a straw - deep breathing (long inhales in through the nose and slow exhales through the mouth), exercise - ie walk around the block, hot bath (my favourite), munching on foods (crunchy foods seem to work best) - reading the articles in this forum as well as posts of other members. 

Distraction is key to outwitting that smoker braincell.  

I've read that a craving lasts about three minutes so if you can distract yourself for those three minutes then you win.

Keep up the good work and you will notice improvements everyday.  It's accumulative process.  

Cheers!  

MDS27

1/6/21

Yesterday, was the first full day of consciously trying to reduce vaping. Only 6 vapes with an average gap between vapes of 2hrs, 15 mins. This is a decent improvement on yesterdays 6 vapes with 90mins between. I know there are potential pitfalls with a cutting down approach rather than total cessation, but as I said yesterday, reducing to 6 vapes from approx 20+ per day is a big step for me and after it being such a dominant part of my life for so long, I need to take these baby steps first. 

Already I feel like I am leading a cleaner life. I feel more in control and less like a slave to nicotine. Keeping busy and distracting myself by finding things to do has helped - idle hands and all that. I had my strongest craving yesterday in the midst of doing some reasonably stress-provoking work as I worked through some investment decisions, a time when I would usually be sucking on my pen non-stop. I enjoy having more time and am excited to fill my life with more meaningful activities. I also have a sense of knowing I am on the right path and I like the guy I'm looking at in the mirror more.

For the past 2 years the first thing I've done upon waking is filled myself with nicotine. This morning I waited 25mins. The urge was really strong, but I sat there with it, breathed into it and reminded myself its an urge, but it doesn't mean I have to act on it. Today, my goal is to stretch the gaps out to 3hrs. 

CC to Loreficent
MDS27

1/6/21

How did day 3 go ragdoll?

Strength and courage to you!

Nope62

1/7/21

I'm back again and ready to quit for good! Tomorrow will be one week quit. It's been hard, but I'm doing it.

Sorry about posting as a reply, but I couldn't figure out how else to post and get involved with other quitters here.

Good Luck to you all!

MDS27

1/7/21

One week - Getting it done! Good for you.

I'm not there yet. What's working for you?