About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 36683 views.
Loreficent

3/4/21

Anne,

It won’t kill you to stay on them longer. Smoking will kill you, or at least decrease your quality of life greatly to perhaps the point you wish you were dead. I stayed in each phase of the patches a good 2-3 weeks longer. In the long run, if it helps you, do what you feel you need to do and what will get you through it. Hopefully your Pulmonologist will support that. You can always ask him if he’d rather you smoke or use the patch longer. Chances are they were never a smoker. Though they deal with the fallout from smoking day in and day out, I do believe that one just does not get it if they’ve never smoked. 
You got this. You’re doing amazingly well. Keep doing what is working for you and don’t stress it. blush

abrewster14

3/4/21

Lori. 
THANK YOU! yes I would bet that he was never a smoker. I think I might buy an addition box of patches    7mg I really notice the step down from 14 to 7mg. Worst case scenario I’ll return them. 100% not understanding if you have never been here. Thank you for being here it helps more than you know. 

Loreficent

3/4/21

Oh man...I remember that step down. It was so noticeable. Way more so than from 21mg to 14mg. I still have some patches and gum. I actually carry one of each with me. I ended up putting a patch back on a few months after not wearing one due to a stressful situation and wore it for a week through that and then haven’t since. Think I maybe told you that. Sorry for repeating myself if so. But...point is...I have one with me all the time still, and that’s ok. This does come down to choice at the end of the day no matter how we slice it and dice it; we choose to smoke or not. I’ve made a deal with myself that if push comes to absolute shove, I will put on a patch for 24 hours first and foremost. You know most days I don’t even think about having it in my bag. One day, I will dig in there and see it is a few years expired I hope!joy The gum....? It always tastes expired and is hard as a rock to me! joyjoyjoy

Steady on we go Anne. We got this. 

abrewster14

3/4/21

Lori - the 24 wait was my plan but yes I think 24 hour patch is a good idea. You didn’t mention it I don’t think haha but I repeat myself all the time don’t give it a second though I bought an extra 14 7mg just to have on hand. I worry about the three month mark. Some does it takes all I have to to cave mainly I don’t want to start this all over again. You are absolutely right it’s a choice. Fingers crossed that we both can look back on it and never or rarely think about it. I agree on the gum but it has gotten me through some social situations where I was drinking (thankfully no one was smoking) it’s maddening that I consciously know cigs only do me damage and I’m lucky and should be proud to have made it 9 weeks tomorrow. 
I just don’t want to think about it everyday. but one day at a time I didn’t smoke today and finished a painting so that’s something to be proud of. I’m going to the long dr in the morning fingers crossed 

Loreficent

3/5/21

Yes...I will be sending you good energy for the Pulmonologist appointment. I bet they will be so encouraging and happy for you that you are over two months! Yay! clapopen_handsmuscleprayblush

gkim

3/5/21

Ab, don’t worry about the upcoming three months. When you hit three months you’ll be so happy and you will be more confident than ever. As for what you may have heard about it being possibly stronger craves, I didn’t feel it. You will do great!

abrewster14

3/5/21

Thank you! It went well my lungs are definitely getting stronger. He gave a really mild (75mg 1 a day) of Wellbutrin. He said if my moods and cravings continue I should consider it. Anyone have thoughts. Thank you for the support and encouragement. 

abrewster14

3/5/21

That’s really good to hear! Thank you 

In reply toRe: msg 383
abrewster14

3/7/21

Evening everybody - day 65. Wow never thought I would get here. I’ve never had a quit last this long. Still having moments that I romanticize a cigg. I actually said the other day I’d rather have a shorter life and happy than missing smoking. Such a strong addiction. 
hope everyone had a great weekend. 

SusanK1960

3/10/21

Hi Anne,

68 days without smoking is wonderful!! I found focusing on one day at a time, not looking forward or backward seemed to help me in this recent quit, which was different from before.  That and the forum are what I think helped me the most.  Anyway, you asked about Wellbutrin.  It depends on your physiology.  It makes me angry, while others stated it helped with their moods.  Most everyone has some type of emotionally change when they quit.  A couple of thoughts:

If your mood does change noticeably, it usually takes a couple of weeks to get to therapeutic level, which may feel too long.  

If you start taking Wellbutrin now, it may help enough to keep any noticeable mood changes.  

You know you the best.  You have another 9 months of psychologically disconnecting from the cigs.  You will probably have cravings for another 2-3 months, although they may get farther and farther apart with each week.  Instead of having the craving ever couple hours, it may happen twice in the morning and three times at night, then maybe only when you drive somewhere, etc.  I don’t know if Wellbutrin with cravings, but it was developed to help quit smoking.

I know others are here, including me, needed help with moods.  Nicotine is know as a “mood enhancer” so you may suffer some changes as your receptors are looking for a good time and not getting it, so they can throw a tantrum and set your whole emotional balance off.   stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye