About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

January 2021 Ex-Smokers   Quit Buddies Unite

Started 12/31/19 by ModDee; 33845 views.
abrewster14

Mar-16

Hey Lori 

thanks so much. I have had some really ----- days at work. I’m literally tittering but honestly the amount of time and not wanting to start over is stopping me. I’m seriously miserable. Ugggggg I know logically a smoke won’t make me feel better but the addiction is telling me it will make everything okay. I logically know that in fact I’ll just be disappointed in myself for failing my quit 

Loreficent

Mar-16

Ok...time to turn those feelings of deprivation around to feelings of recovery! Embrace the freedom Anne. Smoking never did anything for any of us but keep us enslaved to falsehoods. Use the patch still if you need to. No crime or shame in that. Do not romanticise the cigarettes.

Here is a link to a great E Book I found...one spot in particular that I linked yesterday and will come back and add that once I find the section again. 
https://whyquit.com/ffn/index.html

Ok...here is a link to 100 reason. #53 has an underlined link to the “the forgotten me” section. Please read it! Keep it open on your iPad or whatever and when a crave strikes, read a bit. It is fascinating and has angles we do not think about when hiding behind the veil...

https://whyquit.com/pr/012717.html

Interested in you or anyone else’s thoughts! 

Loreficent

Mar-16

Check out the links in the above post I wrote to Anne...good stuff!

abrewster14

Mar-18

Thank you so much for the support and links. I will be looking at 53 when I have a craving. How you hanging in Lori ? 

Loreficent

Mar-18

Oh yeah...hanging in. Sometimes hanging on, haha! Still. 
Been thinking about being enslaved and how ridiculous it really is. So...somewhere in that book it does a little math. Not my brightest subject, but this was simple straight forward stuff. So, I was smoking 12 smokes a day, most days. Some days 15. Smoked American Spirits, the bright green pack, which equates to “menthol light”. Not 100s. Just regular. Let me tell you...if you’ve never smoked Spirits, the first thing one would note is they burn realllly slooooow. I reckon cause they don’t have all the added stuff that makes them burn fast and stay lit, blah blah. Now...I am not saying those are in ANY WAY  better for a person or any of that nonsense that addicts use to rationalize a drag. But when I switched to them...I realized how much longer they took to smoke. I did also notice that I would smoke one and still want a smoke. This went on for a few days and I do think it was because, again, they don’t have other addictive stuff added. Just straight up hard core nicotine. So I think o was still wanting a smoke at first cause I felt I was missing something and realized that I had been addicted to other stuff in the other name brand ones I had been smoking. Anyway...I got a bit side tracked, so let me tie this in. In one of those chapters it talks about how much more time you have as an Ex ( haha, not just an Ex smoker either. One has much more time for themselves as an Ex spouse too, lol!) OK...so if I smoked 12 a day, and took 5 minutes, which was the example they gave for how long, though mine lasted a good 8-9. Anyway, 12x5 = 60. Yeah. So! All this to show how I had at least an hour “extra” every day! Woohoo! Now...who on this planet doesn’t want an extra HOUR every day? And that was my amount as a not so heavy smoker, so others might have even more!! Wowza. So nice. So I was already walking quite a bit and my walks soon turned into 2-3 hours. And days off in the Summer, some days I did that a couple of times. Sometimes I napped an hour. 
Anyway...not sure why I rambled about that!joy maybe rambled off what would have been a smoke. I’m gonna start a different thread as there are a lot of new people and I want to hear what all these lovely smelling folks are doing with their newly gained hour plus of freedom! Won’t be as long as this....joy

Yeah. Read some of that stuff. Knowledge is power, power is empowering, hahaha! Oh boy. 

abrewster14

Mar-18

Please let me know the new thread 

Loreficent

Mar-18

Oh, it’s under General Chit Chat...should be near the top. This forum is funky...maybe you have to open that folder. I just open all the folders. Anyway, it’s called “New Time”. Lame, I know....joy

In reply toRe: msg 400
Glammy2016

Mar-27

Hey everyone 68 days today.  Doing pretty well. Still a bit wonky emotionally. I put a gratitude app on my phone from the play store. I know meditation  helps. I just need the discipline.  Eating is hit or miss but at this point if I want the cookie I will eat the damn cookie lol. Someone once said the first year is for quiting the second for losing. I have already gained 10 pounds so hoping that my metabolism  equals out soon. Glad to see everyone  still here. Have a great smober Saturday. 

In reply toRe: msg 401
abrewster14

Mar-27

Congrats Glammy that’s a huge accomplishment. I wouldn’t worry about the pounds at all. Do what keeps you quit. 

85 days here. Don’t want to back track or give up my quit but I am completely in no mans land and honestly am romanticizing the cigg. I am struggling. I feel like I want to be the old me the happy me not deprived 

Glammy2016

Mar-28

You are not alone . I totally get it but I also have to remind myself that the fact that I can't be happy without smoking is a lie. I read something about thinking back to the time before you smoked. Unfortunately  for me I have to go back to a 14 yr old girl BUT I carry that picture around in my wallet. A reminder of the little girl who only ever started this filthy habit to fit in. The irony is now I feel I have to quit to fit in. That I have come to believe is were the sadness comes from. The need to fit in. It's what led to the addiction.  I need to learn to believe  that I am enough period. Stop trying to be who I think I need to be for everyone else. Allow myself to be me. Right now I'm learning to look at My quit as an act of self love not sacrifice. Something I'm doing for me and me alone. If I look at it any other way I can rationalize continuing.  Sorry if none of this rambling made sense. Need more coffee.