About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

So glad I’m ahead of the game   General Chit-Chat

Started Mar-24 by turtles; 410 views.
turtles

Mar-26

I definitely do not have any hard or really even soft craves.  I really don’t ever think about smoking unless I’m on this forum.  Every once in a while the “sense” of a cigarette occurs, no desire just kind of like a ghost nearby. I also do not have or experienced a peace unless that is the feeling when you realize every so often that you don’t think about it or miss it at all.  It’s a true freedom. I smoked for forty years so I consider that a true blessing.

Craftyhels

Mar-26

Me too Turtles. Im a great believer that things happen for a reason and I decided to quit in February purely because I want to learn to ski next February. How glad am I now that I made that decision. Whatever that thing is out there it is very apparent that we need healthy lungs if we are going to have any chance of fighting it off! As you say to be ahead of the game feels great and if any one of us needs a reminder of why we need to stick with our quits we just need to think of all the poor souls around the world fighting for every breath due to the virus xx stay safe everyone xx

turtles said:

I Love the quote "If I have just one I will be right back where I started; and where I started was desperately wishing I could be where I am today".

Hi turtles,

I love that quote too.  I had it all over my house when I quit and must have written it out in my journal 100 times that first year.  You have a huge milestone coming up .  The clubhouse is waiting for you.

DebraAnne60

Mar-26

Hi Turtles, thanks for responding to my questions.  I think the peace is when you realize that you are not thinking of smoking or miss it at all.  The first days, weeks and even months, it is almost all you think about so, if a time comes where you no longer think of it then that would indeed be peaceful.  I look forward to that. 

If I may, another question, have you experienced a noticeable improvement in your breathing after long walks or going up and down stairs.  Did you have anything like wheezing or shortness of breath before you quit and, if so, do you now notice a significant improvement.  I appreciate your insight into these matters.  

Congratulations on your Key to the Clubhouse.    Cheers!

turtles

Mar-26

I definitely was wheezing before I quit, I could hear a whistle when I breathed out.  After I quit, I heard nothing and exercising, walking up hills got easier and easier.   Funny you should ask because now I cough a little, could hear a little wheezing and asked Dr if I should see a pulmonologist.  She said no, your xrays are fine...normal as the cilia clean out your lungs.  It took a year....

DebraAnne60

Mar-26

I have read that sometimes it takes quite a long time.  I thought I would notice a difference a lot sooner than now but apparently I have a ways to go since I was also smoking some 40 years.  I was just wondering if you found the same thing.  Damaged cilia for years and years, I guess we have to expect healing to take a few years.  I count ourselves lucky that any healing can take place at all.  I will be happy to get this monkey of my back.  

Cheers Turtles