About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 118516 views.
xvaper

Jul-4

I survived! It took a long time to fall asleep but I slept well, so I’m encouraged :) thanks for the support, I will read all the links you sent me. Last night the cravings were so bad…but I did not relent.

xvaper

Jul-4

Just to let you know I survived another day :) still a lot of anxiousness but its getting better, Thank you for all the support.

Eve1973

Jul-5

Keep going! You got this…… you know that you can, because you have done it before, just this time knowing the tricks you will Not Surrender! ??
xvaper

Jul-5

OMG Eve Im having a terrible evening. none stop cravings.

Eve1973

Jul-6

Did you make it through the rough patch?

xvaper

Jul-6

By the skin of my teeth but yes!!! Proud of me.

xvaper

Jul-6

Also, I think that I was focusing on the future, what if I stumble down the line imagining situations in which I may relapse, instead of working with the one day at a time mentality. I’ll try to stick to that one.

Loreficent

Jul-6

I think future tripping is unnecessarily anxiety inducing. Not just for smoking cessation, but most things really. Staying present, in the moment, is a practice. The more you do it the more naturally you will just be in the moment, present with yourself and more calm. 
Honestly, now that I’ve been not smoking a while it is much easier to see how smoking was constantly compelling me to future trip. Within minutes of putting one out, I’d be scheming and thinking about the when, where, how of the next one. So it makes sense when we stop we are in that mode for a while. It’s like we have to learn how to be with ourselves. Just us without our fix. It is addict behavior and mindset to look ahead and seek how we will get our next fix. When that piece of our mind is told that fix isn’t coming, other pieces of our mind kick in to basically rescue us (from ourselves). I think one of the most useful things my Shrink taught me was to step back and learn to identify the different pieces of my mind and how they act/interact in different situations and moments. 
It’s gonna be a lifelong practice for me to be able to  manage those pieces with my core wiser self. But, just recognizing the pieces was and is such a game changer in day to day life (and love). I feel much less frantic moment to moment. Instead of walking around and being at this heightened, detached, scattered place in my mind I feel more grounded and able to stay in the moment a lot more. Nicotine keeps you heightened and detached and scattered and distracted. Disconnected in a different way. It really is a veil in so many ways. 
Anyway…nattered on enough. Off to my new job for more training soon. That takes a whole different way and level of detachment I’m quickly learning. It really is fabulous to be there and not be distracted by scheming for a fix. 
Time is your best friend here X. Come to peace with that and it’s half the battle really. Your inner addict will soon simmer down a bit more each day. Then that voice moves on to other tactics joy.

xvaper

Jul-6

Yes, it coming to terms with just how much of junkie I am. The one day at time is a strange concept for me because I am a worrier and come from a long line of warriors :)

I think smoking was my way of 'coping' with those future thought and insecurities. I was so worried last night about what would happen when I spend some time with my smoker friends and that in turn got me craving like crazy. However an interesting thing happened today. I was at my tenant's flat, and he works in PR. He used to work for SuperDry clothes line, and he has an advert poster from back in the day, framed. 

It is a picture of the young kate Moss, wearing the SuperDry tshirt and holding a cigarette. Classic trigger for me. However the cigarette she held was half burned and seeing that kind of turned me off, It looked kind pf nasty. this is the state of a cigarette just before the ash falls on your shirt because you didn't tap it in time. 

Loreficent

Jul-6

Love that Freudian slip my friend. Yes. You are a. WARRIOR.