About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 67300 views.
euknight

Nov-20

Yep that is a chunk of change.  Guess mine lasted around 20 years.  Went top of the line cos I don’t plan on leaving here and want something good for my bro.  Stuff just gets more expensive.  Air conditioning is soooo important here......  I am really sorry you are having to mess with this but hope it is installed soon!!

I have one of those heaters with the flame!!  I love it.  It puts out heat if you want it to and it’s remote!!,  I use it instead of FP.

I appreciate you telling about the chick with only a headache with COVID.  I agree, it is plain dumb to minimize.  The appts are harder to get now....the pre Thanksgiving testing maybe.  But since my good friend got it I Definately know without a doubt it is at my doorstep.  Also stresses you out that you exposed people and those few won’t have to be tested if I am negative. Since you work at a hospital can the employees get tested there?  Would be easier.

Hang in there, girlfriend!  Cya soon

Peggy

5-8-20

Loreficent

Nov-20

joyjoyjoy

Oh no! I’m sorry...I wasn’t being clear, I don’t have the 20 Gauge anymore, Lol. Sadly, the kitty either. cry What I was saying was ... I got the cat, the boys kept their legs. I say boys but they were in their 20’s. Seriously hate to think of any gal that ended up with either of them as they weren’t worth staying on the planet in my opinion, they were poison. Hopefully they didn’t breed.

Ok, was waiting for daughter in store and have more time now. So, I’m not likely the one to ask about weapons. I grew up with 4 brothers, 2 that went regularly with my dad hunting. So we used to shoot cans down the field range for fun. Me and my one sister. I was not interested in hunting. I also still have a nice compound bow that I target shot with but not for several years. My cousin owned a great Archery shop on Lake Michigan and was competitive, National level and she was very good. Taught me to fletch my own arrows and gave me my first Bitzenberger jig. Kept my bow as I do want to get back to the range someday with it. I also have a Trident Crossbow, that is pistol style. The reason that BF got me the shotgun was I lived in a Detroit burb that wasn’t that great and came home one night to a dude watching my TV. I saw it was on through the window when I parked,  called my BF who was on shift and he came and rousted the guy. Next night he brought me the shotgun as he knew I could shoot straight. Not that you need to shoot that straight with 00 Buck. But I have opinions on gun ownership, specifically pistols and automatic weapons that I won’t express here except to say, if you get one, it is imperative to be adept at using it and not just have it as a security blanket. If that’s all it is, your likely to die by your own weapon. For hogs, I’d say a 20 Gauge is fine. Inexpensive, easy, reliable, but kick some. But ask your buddies there. I live in the city and have no reason or use for weapons. If I lived where you did, I would have. I would have been fine to shorten some legs over a cat, seriously, like I said, but I would not mess with those hogs Peggy Love. They scare me way more than those boys did. Think I told you about having those out on the range when I was in the Army and they are dangerous. Not like Bambi who is gonna run from you by any means. So as much as I love creatures, and boy I sure do, if it came down to me and one of those hogs, I’d be armed where you are. All I got here is Coyotes, and they are very skittish. If I end up doing the PCT someday, I’ll look into what to carry, but other than that, I have no use. Most folks don’t. Just desire. I got plenty of that too, but for many different things and not weapons. 

• Edited November 20, 2020 11:57 pm  by  Loreficent
euknight

Nov-22

In agreement with you about the two animal abusers.  That’s how I feel about people who dump their animals in the country.  Sickening.

Cool you have bows.  I liked doing archery in Girl Scouts...lol, a few years back.  I was never around guns, hunting etc growing up.  I agree about the proper training for sure.  I am like you as far as coyote go....they stay away and I have never felt threatened out here til the hogs came.  I have talked to several guys and was king of wanting a woman’s take. I can’t believe some dude was watching your tv in Detroit.  Glad your BF gave you the shotgun.  I have had BFs leave guns with me too but have not liked any of them.  Most of my friends out here have husbands, son in laws, sons that do the shooting.  I will do some more research but thanks.

It just occurred to me that the reason Tab and Jackson stick around the house is probably the hogs!,!  I have always thought it was weird they did that when none of my others ever did.  The hogs had not gotten here back then.  I am grateful my neighbor traps for me and keeps a look out.  It’s sad I can’t hike anywhere with them like I once did.  Have had passing thoughts of smoking when I get mad about it but that would be toooooo pitiful a reason to smoke....LOL.  I have so much to be grateful forblush

Yep, am with you Eve on the rushed vaccine.  Not keen on that one either.  I still don’t have test result back.  Grrrrr.  Tomorrow is 13 days since exposure.  Going to neighbors for Thanksgiving as usual.  Excavation of their new FABULOUS cliff side pool has been underway the last few days.  It is going to be soooooo cool!! Will be fun to see that.

I cut a new 4 wheeling path through the woods and have been hauling brush and burning today.  LOVE.  Overcast and just enough wind to torch the fire quickly, then perfect timing of a light sprinkle at the end.  I love these Fall days out doing that stuff!   

Have a lovely smoke free day all!!!

Peggy

5-8-20

CC to Eve1973
Loreficent

Nov-26

Cliff side pool? Would you be able to post a pic of that when it’s done? Sounds very cool! The engineering of it. These folks that have minds that can think of stuff like that a d work it out. They fascinate me. Actually, how differently our brains work in general fascinates me. 

I think you may be right about the dogs? They perceive threats differently than us, and probably smell those hogs. So why do you have them now and didn’t before? Did they migrate from Georgia? Lol! I think you’re talking about the same Wild Boars we had there, right? Maybe I will read about this later today. Must have something to do with habitat? But yes, Tab and Jackson are smart. Probably a mix of staying clear of them, and staying close to protect you from them. Ok, I’ll just come out and say it here. If you feel you need something to go hiking with to protect yourself from them, I’d stick with a shotgun. Why? Because you’re not a gun person and all you need is protection from the hogs, right? With a 20 Gauge you don’t have to be a great shot. I don’t know your terrain, but am picturing some brush piles scattered. People always want pistols for protection but you gotta be a good shot. I don’t know anyone that’s hunted with a pistol, though I’m sure some do, most don’t for reasons. Size of game, distance, etc. Even if you aren’t gonna go out hiking, a shotgun would better for you around your house if they are coming that close. Maybe a pain for your hikes but you’d get used to it. Or does your wildlife department there have any information on them? Might be worth a call to ask. Here you can find out stuff about Cougars, etc, as far as their terrain and where to avoid. They aren’t gonna know everywhere, and stuff happens, but not very often. They have a lot of info about the Coyotes in the city too. Just a thought. Hike somewhere else? but that’s a pain to have to drive somewhere to hike when you’ve got you’re own area. Come here and we can go hiking?? Now that’s a good idea! Anyway, just nattering and killing time this morning. I know the desire and longing though Peggy. To be out for the day and just walk in peace for a while. I haven’t been out of the city for close to two months now. Not the same, even walking at night when it’s more quiet. Not the same as being out away from the sounds and smells of here. Miss my Coast sky at night but I’m not sleeping out there where I usually do this time of year. When my arm is healed I’m gonna go up to my neighbors shack for a couple of nights. May take Daughter and go for Solstice. Will be snow but it’s a cot inside, lol. Have to see how I’m feeling. Right now I’m still cold! Not sure why it’s bothering me so much this year, but it is. Ok. Have said a whole lot of nothing. Not sure why I got up early today. Critters all smarter than me and still on the bed! 

Loreficent

Nov-26

Happy Thanksgiving Girlz!

Ha! I remembered a date! Lol! joystuck_out_tongue_closed_eyesstuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Not gonna get all mushy and sentimental, but am thinking about all of you and you all are on my Thankful List. You are everyday. We never did get our recipe thing going except for grilled cheese in the microwave and PBJ with jalapeños. So maybe I’ll make that today, lol! Actually, I’m cooking a Turkey. My day of the year to eat meat. Nothing like some dark meat with homemade cranberries. Yum. Not sure why I rationalize it for this day, but I do. I make stuffing with Venison sausage and there’s nothing like stuffing cooked in the bird, which is most of the reason for cooking the bird for me. It’s also not the Venison I grew up on, and had to go to a specialty meat store again this year to get it, but it is still really good. 
Anyway...hope you all have a beautiful and relaxing day. Let me know what you’re all doing or making! I told Daughter that next year we are gonna have a Northwest Thanksgiving and have Salmon. 
Susan I think you’re the only one that this is their second Thanksgiving without smoking. Still waiting to see that KEY by the way! 
Love you all! kissing_heart

Eve1973

Nov-26

Good Morning Lore, 

Heard the 1st airing of Alice’s Restaurant, by Arthur Guthrie. It’s a tradition for me. Wmmr in Philadelphia 93.3 is the best radio station around. I’m biased, but if you can it will replay again at 12pm and 2pm eastern time. You can stream it. Worth a listen ! 

Yes so very very thankful. Not going where I normally would but going to my friends house and making mashed potatoes. I can make those lol. Bringing Lemon Merengue pie. Of course Cranberries from a can! Fresh ones yuk...lol. 

So I hope you have a wonderful meal and be thankful for another day Smomber. Love it! We will survive and prevail because as a tribe we can conquer! Too much? Lol

Loreficent

Nov-26

Never too much Eve!

Love mashed potatoes! Do you use butter and sour cream? Just butter? Daughter making those this year, so...I’m thankful for that too! Really you don’t like fresh cranberries? Have you tried them? For years, that was my oldest sister’s job on Turkey day. I grew up thinking it was the hardest part of the dinner to make, lol! Probably cause she made it so dramatic maybe? Then, once, in my early 30’s maybe, I took it on. Bought a bag, read the directions and did it. Wow. Blew my mind and I kept thinking, really?? That’s it? Boil water, add sugar, add berries, listen for the “pops” and...that’s it??! And I loved them! Also realized I can do sugar however I want (like quitting, right?) and add as much or as little as I want. So I make them all the time this time of year now when they are in the stores and eat them like crazy! I use half the sugar bag says as I like them tart. And... best thing is...you really feel like you made a homemade dish and it is the easiest thing EVER! So, I would suggest if you don’t do it today, just do it once this weekend and try it. Just once! You can add extra sugar if you want! You do you! Haha! joy

Read your other post about your brother and old traditions. I know you still think about and miss him. That’s a sweet memory Eve, and I’m glad you take time to share it and treasure it still. It makes days like today special to still share those things in our hearts. Now that’s enough sentimental stuff from me, so, yeah. Have a wonderful day and let’s continue on this smoke free journey! heart_eyes

P.S. I will definitely listen to Alice while cooking too! Fun idea! Maybe new tradition for me?

• Edited November 26, 2020 1:09 pm  by  Loreficent
Loreficent

Nov-26

Where you keep going off to? Do you have heat for the weekend? Dying to know what you cooked Tiny. Since you like it. I did enjoy making dinner today actually. Now am ready for bed!

Hope you are well friend! grinning

Eve1973

Nov-26

Hey Lore,

Yes use sour cream and butter. Put bacon in in too. Milk, and lots of spices, minced garlic, minced onions, oregano, and others. 

Did you listen? It is not Thanksgiving without Pierre! Love Alice’s Restaurant! I said earlier it was Arthur, but my fault Arlo Guthrie. 

Had a great day! I didn’t smoke! No temptations! All good! Hope your day was nice also! Stuffed so meal was good!

TinyBadger

Nov-26

Well, hello there....we had turkey, cranberry salad, stuffing, rolls and fresh sweet potatoes (NO marshmallows, NO canned produce). My feller ordered a lemon blueberry cheesecake from the fancy bakery so we had that too. They are surveying us at work to see if we want the covid vax on the first round. Of course people exposed to patients the most have first dibs. We cook "Thanksgiving" often so it's no big woo here. Who doesn't love a little gobble! Gobble! In their leftovers? All kidding aside, we have a board at work where you write what you are thankful for. I can think of so many things! A lot of people can't, though. It's so sad. I know 2020 has been a rough year but we are in it to win it and we can get through this. I have high hopes that we can get covid under control. Maybe this is controversial to some, but I am begging you, mask up, wash your dang hands and limit your social interactions/physical distance. I know it may seem easier for.me because I'm an introvert, but a few simple steps can save you and your neighbor. Ps. Don't touch your face.