About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

First 10 days review   General Chit-Chat

Started 5/6/20 by Musivore; 67147 views.
TinyBadger

Nov-27

Well I'm going to prattle on because I have nothing to do and am struggling hard core. I've stated this before, but the holidays are rough for numerous reasons. I made it through Thanksgiving without smoking, but I had to work a half day today and I almost went to the store on the way home. I would have bought some if it wasn't for my husband. I'm trying hard to give up pop (without kombucha, loreficent) but I ended up sending the mister out for a coke. I was worried if I went out I'd buy some. I'm struggling hard. I'm trying to focus on my usuals: the oak tree and the tidepools. God I wish covid would end so I could go see the ocean. I want to wander down the sand and peep around the pools. Crabs and anemones. And the starfish. I can't wait to touch one. Loreficent describes them but I know they are even better than she can explain. My only hope is that when the pandemic is over I can go and see the ocean. The rhythm of the waves, the soothing sounds...i listen to the waves when I want to smoke. I play the waves when I'm at work and feeling the temptation. Loreficents oak tree visualization works pretty well, too. Focus on the oak. Strong and wise. Deeply rooted. God, loreficent, where are you? I know you're eorkingy, but dang it, this is very inconvenient!

SusanK1960

Nov-27

I’m not as good as Lore at taking your mind off stuff, however I’ll give it a whirl.  Today is my 38th wedding anniversary.  We had sloppy joes and homemade French fries.  Neither of us got or gave a present cause if we need it, we get it.  I wanted to make a lemon cake with lemon frosting for the celebration, but we still have two pies with one piece missing from each.  We obviously are pretty low key, but like all celebrations in this year of the virus, we have chosen to forego some traditions.  

I have been to the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean.  Do you think they would be different?

Loreficent

Nov-27

O...MG. I just wrote a huge thing that NUKED! Ugh! Gonna give it a bit and see if it posts. That has happened. Was huge. Carp.

Vickie106

Nov-27

Hey Tiny,

I like the visual of the oak tree...solid and strong.  I have several different varieties in my yard and it has always amazed me that such a majestic tree starts from a tiny acorn.  That little acorn produced those deep, strong roots.  Kind of like the acorn, our roots are growing stronger every day.

Hang in there...

• Edited November 27, 2020 8:53 pm  by  Vickie106
TinyBadger

Nov-27

38 years is amazing! Congratulations! I love home made french fries. We are pretty low key, so the pandemic hasn't changed our social calendar that much. Oooh! I wonder how they would be different?!?!? Im closer to the pacific so that was my first thought. Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way. I'm also basing this on loreficent s reviews. Do you think they are different?

• Edited November 27, 2020 9:41 pm  by  TinyBadger
Eve1973

Nov-27

Yes different. I have been to both. I actually live close to say I’m going to the shore (Jersey shore) or to the beaches (Delaware) for the weekend. I don’t do any of that. I prefer the Mountains .......but I hate crowds, so that’s what I base where I would enjoy. Also the flies (they bite) tend to be on the Jersey beaches. So my opinion......go to west coast. But if i had to pick the prettiest beaches.....gulf coast in Florida by Napa are beautiful. 

TinyBadger

Nov-27

Maybe I'll keep with oregon. I've been browsing...

Loreficent

Nov-30

They are very different. I’ve only been from Long Island south on the Atlantic. I love the barrier islands off the coast of Georgia. Gulf side I’ve only been off the pan handle. West coast I’ve been from B.C down to Oaxaca, but missed some of the more middle part of California coast. Oregon Coast and Northern California coast is much more wild and rugged feeling than anywhere. If you want to swim here and stay in long you will need a suit, wet or dry. I’d say this area is less populated than anywhere I’ve been on the Atlantic, so that’s a plus. Atlantic is “flat” where I’ve been. Here you can hike along cliffs and the views of the rugged coastline are unbeatable. I love Big Sur area too. If you go to Washington you can go to the Hoh Rain Forest and the Olympics. But you could easily do Washington and Oregon in a week. So drive from where you are over I-90 and take the ferry from Seattle over to the peninsula and drive down the Washington coast and come across the bridge to Astoria and then down the Oregon Coast and come back in midway and hook back up to I-5 to I -85 then go home through Craters of the Moon. I-85 takes you along the Columbia River Gorge and is stunning. Even after the fires. 
Yeah. Would do that trip today if I could. Would say if you are gonna do that you may as well take the ferry to the San Juan’s and see some Orcas. Either way I’d plan it for migration time for the Grey Whales off the coast here. You can take a boat trip out, even charter private for pretty cheap but you’re gonna barf. Once you do you will be fine. You should really go to the Seattle Aquarium and Newport Aquarium too. Learn lots of stuff there. Plus you get to pet the starfish a lot. You can do that at the coast too though, they don’t mind. Just don’t peel them up as I think that is mean unless you’re really gentle, which I know you would be. 
Be prepared for the slugs in the Rain Forest though as I’m sure you’ve not seen anything like them. About the size and color of a ripe banana. The ones on Oregon Coast are pretty impressive too. And you’re gonna have to tolerate the sea birds Tiny. They are varied and lovely and part of the circle. You’ll see lots of Bald Eagles too, but I imagine you maybe do where you are? 
So that’s the trip I’d take this morning. Might be different by afternoon, lol! But yeah, I agree with Eve and come West. No offense to anyone but the Pacific would be first choice if you only see one. You are also a lot closer to here and can drive to the Oregon Coast from where you are in like 16 hours. Better let your Hubby drive though joy

Loreficent

Nov-30

Wow! 38 years. That’s amazing! Congratulations Susan. You guys must be best of friends. You are every bit as good at distraction as I am. Plus, Lemon Cake is a favourite for Tiny. You guys that like to cook. Nice. 
I like all celebrations like what you described. Had been a big plus side to the Pandemic in my opinion and I find relief in that aspect of it. I have always had an open door and people close to me can come and go, stay or not, but I don’t like a lot of them at once. 
38 years. You got married young!

Loreficent

Nov-30

Hahaha! Just reread this. Tiny...I have a teenager. I think I am viewed as “inconvenient “ most of the timejoy. This is the one I had written a huge reply to and nuked it. Will remember more of it later. Have a darn good day today, darn it. You see that moon last night? Gorgeous.