About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

For my fellow patch people..   Quit Support

Started Jun-7 by Elizaquits; 2109 views.
TinyBadger

Jun-27

Thanks! I sometimes feel like I'm not doing this the "right" way because many people here have quit without nrt. In the past, I quit for about 7 years cold turkey. For some reason, it's just not working that way now. So here I am, needing an aid and I will do my best to be proud, because like you said: I'm still not smoking. In a little over a month I won't need the patch and I'll be on my way. Thanks for perking me up about it, I feel much better.

Nope62

Jun-27

It doesn't matter how you quit, as long as you get it done! The goal is to remove all nicotine from your body, how you reach that goal is of little importance!

Take Care!

Eve1973

Jun-27

Tiny I’m glad I could help! Remember don’t put yourself down, all of us are 7 years older, and something in the past may not work the way it does now. 

I know my eyes don’t! Lol

TinyBadger

Jun-27

Well, it's rainy and windy here. I went for a long walk with the dogs anyway, they don't mind and seem to enjoy all the walks we've been taking lately. I'm on day 17 and counting. I've been using a free app to keep track of my progress. It's called easy quit, I think, and it gives you a lot of fun calculations about how long you've gone, money saved, a matching game to pass the time, and a lot of other stuff. If you enter your quit reasons, it will send them to you throughout the day. I got some more patches, as I'm still on the big boy ones, and have a while to go before I step down to the 14. I'm feeling better about using them after some feedback here. I think I agree that I need to do whatever it takes to quit and that I'm doing what works for me, no matter what reading material tells me the opposite. I've been cleaning house and am enjoying the fact that I don't have to burn a candle all day to smell it. And it smells so nice! I can even smell my dogs oatmeal shampoo from the groomer! All silliness aside, I've been much more active since quitting and don't find myself so winded. I do not regret this quit. I know that I stand on a knifes edge, such a fine tightrope between smoking and not. I keep reading and learning from everyone and it's great. 

Elizaquits

Jun-28

Tiny,

I use an app as well! It is neat to see the progress made. Mine also has health benefits - healthier teeth and gums, breathing functions, etc. Isn't it amazing that after smoking our bodies will being to heal themselves? If that isn't forgiveness.. I don't know what is! :) 

As far as the NRT goes, do not let anyone/any article make you feel like you are not quitting the "right" way! Numerous people use NRT to quit, and lets be honest, it would not exist if there was not a need for it! Every quit is different and beautiful at the same time, with NRT or without. I too used NRT, and as this thread will tell you, I have successfully weaned off of it! I found that NRT took the edge off while I learned to alter my behavior to that of a nonsmoker - and there is nothing wrong with that!

Kudos to you and 18 days - you are SO close to 3 weeks and a life of not smoking! 

TinyBadger

Jun-28

I'm trying so hard, but I admit I'm feeling romancing the cigarette today. I think about sitting on the deck one cool day with my lemonade, visiting with my husband. I have to keep telling myself that I can do that without a cigarette, and that it only made my throat scratchy and I stunk. This last few days I've had some pretty strong urges so I'm really having to work a little harder at staying smober. I hope that one day I won't dream and think about smoking. 

DebraAnne60

Jun-28

You need to change the record.  Those smokes don't sing that song.  Take another look at you reasons for quitting - look online at people who are dying from diseases of smoking.

You are actually trying to convince yourself that you want to smoke when you know you do not.

Take deep breaths, eat some chocolate, go for a walk, take a nap, just don't smoke.

Unless you really don't want to quit.  Then by all means, smoke your brains out.

Elizaquits

Jun-29

Tiny- 

Unfortunately, these thoughts happen to most of us in the beginning. We have spent so much time training our brain when to smoke, now we have to do those same activities without smoking. A month or so ago, there were a handful of us who did some gardening and that weekend we ALL had the urge to smoke! That is because previously, we would garden and then smoke - we had to create a new memory of us completing/doing an activity without smoking. It is not the easiest, but it can be done and I know you will be able to do it. That is combined with you nearing the 3 week mark which is notorious for cravings popping up. 

It sounds like you powered through and remembered why you quit and why smoking sucks- so, kudos to you! You are doing all of the right things, and because of that, there will be days that you forget about smoking all together! I promise :) 

Is your hubby still holding tight? 

TinyBadger

Jun-29

He's still holding strong, although he's eating a little more crap than I'd like him to. I'm keeping that to myself and I keep buying fresh fruits and vegetables, which he does snack on, too. I did make it through, but man, the whole day was hard. I normally have 3 lozenges a day and yesterday I had 5! I kept busy, and did every trick listed here and it was still rough. My therapist says anything with a repetitive motion helps anxiety, so I did some coloring before bed and that seemed to help. I've been wearing the patch through the night to help with the mornings and wow, I have had some weird dreams! I know there are going to be some good times and bad times in quitting, and I am very aware that this won't be easy. I'm just so glad to have a place where I can whine and people get it! Today seems to be off to a good start so I'm hoping it will continue that way. What is your quit date? Do you have anyone in your life that smokes? What's your favorite trick to get through a crave? Do you have a hard time not smoking at work?

euknight

Jul-2

Hi Eliza.

Am finished with patches...a couple of days now.  I skipped a few days to ready myself.  Have had some lengthy urges but really no different than before.

The key is continue to practice the non smoker things on my list!!!!  This has been validated by posts I have been reading of folks many months ahead of me.  Be serious about gratitude......maybe get a gratitude buddy.  I know the desire will lessen but I am going to be realistic....it is not going away anytime soon.  Be serious about who you choose to be around!!

Thats my 2 cents for today.  Lol.  How is your quit going?

Peggy

5-8-20