About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Help!    Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-7 by Sarama66; 721 views.
Sarama66

Jul-7

Hi all, I'm Sarah, 54 and I've smoked for 40 years  I really want to quit but I already have a bad chesty cough and I'm thinking it could make it worse if I quit, stupid I know but I have heard it can make you worse? 

Any advise or encouragement from someone who's been in the same situation would be great. 

Thanks

TinyBadger

Jul-7

Hi there! I smoked for a little over 15 years. I'm on day 27 and I developed a cough. As time goes by it's less often and it is less hard on my lungs. I think there's reading material about that on here, Marge, do you know of that article? If you get nervous, call your physician. Depending on where you live they may not want you to physically come in, because of covid. But please know that I'm coughing. It will get better, not to worry. It's just your lungs clearing themselves out and healing. The way I figure, I was coughing when I smoked, and coughing less when I quit, so what the hey? It's worth a go. Hopefully that helps. I admit I haven't smoked as long as you have but I think the coughing thing is common. 

Sarama66

Jul-7

Thanks for the encouragement. 

I've had this sore chest and cough for 3 months now, had covid test and I'm clear, but if I'm going to start coughing even more I think I'll be freaked out by it all x

TinyBadger

Jul-7

You're going to be a-ok! Just let it heal. My understanding is that the cillia, the hair on your lungs, gets gooped up by the tar and stuff you inhale. I guess they get cleaned up when you stop. Please don't let this be the roadblock to you not quitting! 

Eve1973

Jul-7

Hi Sara, I would honestly think long and hard about quitting. This cough will get worse. You know it’s from smoking, I know when I developed the cough, it was almost every morning with the phlegm and I would hack it up and spit it out.

I haven’t done that in months now.....thanx you reminded me of that. The best thing for you to do is quit! You will feel better eventually and you will live a more healthier life. 

Read as much as you can on here, consult a physician if you think you may want to try some NRTS, and pick a quit date! Seriously it’s in your best interest to quit. It’s hard, not going to lie, but if you educate yourself and read what the MODS tell people to read you will WANT to quit and you will have this forum for support. 

We are here for you!

Eve 1/30/2020

Sarama66

Jul-7

Hi Eve thanks for the reply, all I have to do now is pick a date, I know it's got to be done, but scary while this covid is around x

Msg 6019.7 deleted
slowblumer

Jul-7

HI Sara,

Welcome to the forum.   Quitting smoking is the number one thing you can do to improve your health.  I hope you do make that decision to quit.  Please contact your doctor and discuss your cough though.  We need a plan to succeed.   Check out the articles below.

Do These Things Before You Stop Smoking

How to Know if You've Got Quitter's Flu

Eve1973

Jul-7

Actually it is helpful if you quit! Are you worried about getting it mixed up with the cough? I would still quit, no matter what. Then you tell everyone you quit during the pandemic! If you can do that.....you will be stronger in everything!

Best wishes!

Kittyxxx121

Jul-8

Actually it's safer for you because of COVID. You need your lungs to be on their A game and you can't if you still smoke. So set a date and take the plunge, we will support you through it xx