About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

8 days smoke free   Introductions/Newcomers Nook

Started Jul-8 by Lyney; 2580 views.
In reply toRe: msg 7
Nope62

Jul-10

Glad to see that you are still here and doing well!

My journey has been rough. I'm quit now and have been for over a week. But this is my fifth quit this calendar year. A few weeks ago I threw away a thirty day quit for no good reason. This will not happen to you. I'm a serial quitter. I just can't quite get the job done.  I have been told that I am only stopping smoking and not quitting smoking. This time around I'm using Mr Carr's book. I've read it twice. Now I'm reading parts of it again. Maybe this will be my quit that sticks. I pray so!

What method are you using to quit? I have also smoked for a long time, around 48 years. I am trying to quit for health reasons. I can feel that cigarettes have taken the life out of me. It didn't happen all at once, but it has happened. I keep telling myself that I can't last much longer smoking those filthy death sticks. But I always get sucked back in!

Good luck on this Great quit you have going. Remember you are giving up nothing, but a life filled with bad health. We have been paying Big Tobacco to poison us! 

Take Care!

• Edited July 10, 2020 12:53 am  by  Nope62
In reply toRe: msg 8
Lyney

Jul-10

Hi Nope62,

I get it! I call myself a professional quitter because I have done it over and over and over again throughout the years. I actually stayed smoke free for 6 years and then started again while having a few beers with some friends and I smoked all night long. The next day I had a few more and before I knew it I was smoking again. As hard as it is to quit, it's a whole lot easier to start again. 

Prior to quitting for good this time, I had quit a few weeks earlier and managed to keep it up for 6 days and started up again. No good reason. Believe me I get where you're coming from. This may sound a little strange but I feel like I have a little devil sitting on my shoulder egging me on to "give up", "start again", "have a smoke you'll feel better", my answer has been "Nope not today". I smiled when I read NOPE (not one puff ever) and your screenname NOPE62. That's my go-to word and I'm working on transitioning to replacing my devil with an angel a more positive line like "YESSSS!!!" "you're doing it", "keep it up". I can't help but think that despite my body throbbing and my mind being in a fog for nicotine withdrawl, I see this as the beginning of a whole new chapter, a much healthier lifestyle and the end to self-destructing behavior. It's quite enticing! 

I've been using Nicorette gum to help me through and I find it really convenient because you can use it as you need it or not use it if you don't. It definitely helps.

It seems like we quit around the same date, mine was June 30th. What date did you quit? Seems like we have a lot in common so I encourage you to keep it up, I will keep it up too. 

Take care and stay strong!

In reply toRe: msg 9
Nope62

Jul-11

Thanks,

This time I quit on the 2nd of this month. But to be honest I'm still shaky and my quit is fragile. I should be able to get out of this cycle of quitting and then starting again. I often think there is something wrong with my mind. Why would anyone go to the trouble of quitting and then give it up so easily?

I am a nicotine addict. It gets embarrassing after awhile! My wife never knows if I'm smoking or not. I've quit so many times I think she gets dizzy because she never knows.

I have some health problems that are only going to get worse if I don't get a solid quit going. I don't understand why that alone isn't enough to keep me quit. All those years I was smoking I never realized the hold nicotine had on me. 

That little nicotine monster you are talking about is embedded in my brain. I can make it shut up for a while, but it always beats me at some point. So I understand what your saying.

I wish I could change my name here on this forum. When I choose it Nope was the way I felt and I was 62 years old. Now I'm 63 years old and I've still never really commented to Nope.

One day at a time is a better fit for me! That's the only way I can do it!

The gum is about the only way that I haven't used to try to quit. But if it's working for you that's great! I have used the patches before. I have seen people quit using all different methods. It doesn't matter as long as you are staying quit!

That fog you are talking about is normal for most quitters. I've had it a few times. Don't let it worry you or be the reason you give in to the monster. The fog will lift in time. Everyone's quit is different. But it has never lasted much past the third week for me. 

Take Care My Friend! You are doing great with your quit!

Lyney

Jul-11

I think you're doing a great job, 10 days is quite the feat and you should be proud of yourself. For all the times that you tried to quit in the past it gives you more experience and insight which you can use to your advantage.

I came across an article that suggests to ask yourself 7 questions if you're about to give in to the urge to smoke again. It struck a nerve for me and I will print it out and place it on my fridge. Here's the link, in hopes it might help you too:

https://www.verywellmind.com/there-is-no-such-thing-as-just-one-cigarette-2825222

:-)

In reply toRe: msg 11
Nope62

Jul-14

HI!

How are things going for you? I am still struggling alone a day at a time.

Thanks for the link. I agree that we can never light up or we will end up back where we were (square one). I have thought that I could have just one in the past, after I had been quit for awhile and was feeling like I had it beat. That one started a chain of cravings that led me right back to smoking as much, or more than I did before I quit. Quitting smoking is an all or nothing proposition. I still feel like I'm in that gray area between the two options.

I hope you are still doing well with your quit!

Take Care!

Lyney

Jul-14

Hi Nope62,

I'm still hanging in there too. I just achieved my 2 week milestone. Woo-hoo!!! I'm still motivated but I have found the past 2 days very difficult. Ever since I made plans with some friends for this coming Saturday, they will be coming over for a girls' night, playing games, swimming and of course there will be alcohol. 

Strange how our minds work, I'm pretty sure that I've been finding it hard over the past 2 days because of the alcohol-smoking relationship. I have absolutely no intention of giving up my quit and I'm 100% committed to getting through this first time with alcohol but no smokes, but the anticipation is making it more difficult. I will spend the next few days reading and getting prepared and reminding myself why I quit and the struggle I have gone through. And I agree with you either we quit and never take another puff ever or we chose to smoke and agree to all of the bad things that come with it. Although it's tough, I'm thoroughly enjoying my rediscovered sense of smell and the fact that I'm coming out of the fog that has been following me since day 1 of my quit. Things around me have a new sparkle :-)

You shouldn't go through your quit in silence. Remember that you're not alone and I'm glad you popped in today, I was wondering how it was going for you. You're helping me get through this and hopefully I can do the same for you. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Keep up the good work, one day at a time!

In reply toRe: msg 13
Eve1973

Jul-14

Hi Ly, 

Your 1st experience with alcohol is tough! Not going to lie! But it’s much better the longer you can put it off in your quit. 2 weeks is not much time at all. If you HAVE to do this, then I have a few suggestions, 1 have straws handy to chew on and or cut them so they are cig long and puff on them. GUM placed strategically around so u have constant reminders that you have quit. Also if there are smokers attending.....ask them to go to a specific area away from you. Also place a few notes around with some positive encouragement for you NOT TO smoke. Have 1 person that has your back there! Explain to them you will need their help in staying quit. And don’t be afraid to hide in bathroom and post an SOS here. 

Best wishes to you, hope this will help! 
Post the next day so we know how you did!

Eve 1/30/2020

• Edited July 14, 2020 9:45 am  by  Eve1973
Lyney

Jul-14

Hi Eve,

OMG you're so sweet! I definitely need advice and support and your message arrived at the right time. Those are great tricks to help out and I will use them for sure. I'm not planning on getting drunk, I'm too old for that but I expect to have a couple of glasses of wine. I will spread them out and also keep some water to drink through a straw handy.

I have the whole gammit of girls coming: 1 never smoked, 1 is a smoker, 1 was a smoker and quit about 8 months ago, she will be my direct support. 

I really appreciate your help and support and I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

In reply toRe: msg 15
Eve1973

Jul-14

Glad I could help! When I posted a similar situation, many people gave me advice on dealing with the alcohol and the smoker. I heeded their advice and came through with flying colors! So that’s what we are here for!

Lyney

Jul-14

That's great Eve and I thank you for sharing your experience with me, for paying it forward. I find solace in knowing that you did it with flying colors, I can do it too! :-)