About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Visual trigger   Health Support and Encouragement

Started Jul-25 by xvaper; 1047 views.
xvaper

Jul-26

I will definitely try this! yesterday evening was tough..hosted dinner with friends and after dinner/after they left I REALLY wanted one. They are none smokers thankfully, I feel it's too early for me to be around any smokers!

27 Days! Never thought I could do it.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Eve1973

Jul-26

Yes.....it does get easier BUT you need to want it more. Last night at a BBQ ,  and no smokers, but did think about it 2xs but was dismissed easily. Usually I carry gum and forgot it. But still got through it. Remember how many years you have smoked/ vaped and the amount of time thinking a about your next “fix” and how and when to get it. So if you accumulated all that time over so many years, we need to give our bodies and minds TIME to adjust to our new lives. SO please don’t think this is an overnight fix. No it’s not......takes some people 10 -14 months to feel the “Peace.” But everyone of them has come back and said IT HAPPENED! So don’t give up or succumb to this addiction! I know you want it, because you wouldn’t be here!

xvaper

Jul-26

Much appreciated support. If you can do it, I can too. I do want to stop for good..

xvaper

Jul-27

Eve!

Good news and bad news..

Bad news : I took a cigarette from a smoker friend while we sat on a stoop and talked. 

Good news : I started to smoke it, BUT It was pretty disgusting. It was smelly and inhaling smoke all of a sudden seemed awful, I felt nausea, and after a few puffs I threw it out!

I feel like I've had a breakthrough. The taste and smell, and unpleasant inhale of smoke of last night's cigarette and the nausea is still vivid in my mind, I have no desire to smoke at all.

l am listening to Carr's audio book for the second time and I think that definitely changed the way I was experiencing that cigarette.

So even though I 'slipped', I'm kind of glad I did.

I hope this breakthrough will stands the test of time.

Eve1973

Jul-27

Yes, reading how you interpreted the cigarette, is definitely, I think a “good “ slip. And that is all it was. Continue counting your days and make it a learning experience! 

I think some people continue to long for the “experience “ and feel they are always missing out! So now you have taken that tool away from the Nicodemon ! Keep up the good work and now focus on staying nicotine free!! You can do it!

xvaper

Jul-28

yes!! thank you . I won't let my guard down though, my brain might not have given up the fight yet..I feel very optimistic though.

Eve1973

Jul-28

Fantastic! 

Jatchat

Aug-3

Hi Xvaper,

Congratulations on your quit, I can relate to the visual triggers and the smell of smoke, my wife smokes, and it is all around me, I stick to myself and am trying to eat healthily and exercise every day it does help, as far as my wife smoking it's her decision and I hope that by my example she one day will decide to quit. I tell myself that I used to be in her position smoking and how glad I am that I have ceased that behavior. Keep up the good work and be thankful that you don't smoke anymore.

Kind  regards

Anthony

overdoz

Aug-5

I think i would find it so difficult to quit being around another smoker, especially a girlfriend or wife. I know this one couple in my neighborhood wife smokes like crazy, husband does not.. and he loves her, they have been together forever, he just accepts her. I mentioned to her once to may be try quitting, she won't have any of it. I won't go see my parents cause it makes me sad to see my dad 74 yrs old, that has copd smoking marlboros like its ok. Its frustrating to me, but what can you do, some people just reply that you have to die of something. When someone says that, i dont want to hang out with those kind of people.

xvaper

Aug-5

Thank you for the support, I hope I manage to re-wire my brain.  it must be hard for you. But i know lots of couples when one has quit years before the other one was ready too..you can do it too.