About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Small patch struggle   Quit Support

Started Jul-25 by TinyBadger; 956 views.
Nope62

Jul-26

HI! I am very proud of how long you have been quit!

I totally agree with Loreficent's post above me! Take the pressure off yourself and use the 14mg patches for another two weeks! Then try stepping down again. Your quit should be stronger at that point. I know many people who have built solid quits using patches. I also know we are supposed to use them as directed. But everyone's quit is different! Take Care!

Jeff

• Edited July 26, 2020 1:31 am  by  Nope62
Elizaquits

Jul-26

Hey!

I am sorry to hear that! A couple people mentioned that when they dropped down to 7mg. I personally felt the difference between 21mg and 14mg - when I did, I used the gum for the first day or two as needed. I get what you mean about being hungry but not hungry, it is a growing, lingering feeling. For me, it felt like the beginning of an anxiety attack or something. 

Give it a day or two if you can, and if you still feel that way, go back up to the 14mg like Lore said. It is better to go back up, than it is to go back to smoking!

Also, I can't believe you are on day 45 - way to go!!! That is amazing!

euknight

Jul-26

Hey Tiny,

Just saw this.  How are you doing today???.

Am in total agreement with the feedback about going back up to 14s for awhile.  Since this is a forever quit, it is all time well spent being smoke free.  Were you able to get some more and start?

I was shaky after finishing the 7’s.  Took a few weeks.  Please let us know how you are!!,

Peggy

5-8-20

TinyBadger

Jul-26

So today is a little better, but I don't feel as perky as usual. I thought I'd give the 7 s a couple of days to see how it goes because I'm home under the supervision of my husband. I took a long walk with the dogs and have been cleaning house to stay busy. If I veg, the cravings are worse. I'm really torn at this point because I REALLY want to get off the patches, but I don't want to push it and go back to square one. I have lost about 12 lbs since quitting. It's most likely because I have given up pop and started taking longer walks because now I can breathe. I've also been walking everywhere instead of driving. I'm afraid that if I get too ancy I'm going to eat myself silly or worse yet, have a cigarette. I'm trying so hard to change my life, and the thought of losing it all is so saddening. I am very aware that quitting comes before weight loss, but I'm not actively trying to lose weight, just be healthier and snack better. The weight loss has been an added benefit, not a goal. I figure if today goes ok, I'll keep with the 7. I did buy some 14s just in case, though. I'm just going to play it by ear. I'm still pretty scared, though.

Lubbercat

Jul-27

Sounds like you are through the worst part of this.  I have used patches on a previous quit and am using them again on this quit.  I did before notice some edginess whenever I stepped down on the patches last time.  I am getting ready to step down from the 14 mg to the 7 mg patches here sometime this week (I am on day 19).  I am doing this but have some 14 mg on hand in case it gets to bad, I can always switch back.  My doctor actually told me, even when I am completely off of them, to keep some on hand in case I would ever need them rather then to ever pick up a smoke again!

Good luck!

TinyBadger

Jul-27

I'd like to thank everyone for their support. I feel like I need it right now. Today is day 3 on the 7 mg patch and wow, I ate a lot! Tomorrow's a new day and I'm going to hold strong and persevere. I went for a long walk with the dogs today and sat and watched the sun set with my husband. It's the first peace I've had since stepping down to the 7. So maybe this is doable and I just need to adjust. I'm still holding on the the 14s, though. I'm so glad there are people here who understand and try to help a girl when she's down. 

Elizaquits

Jul-28

Hey Tiny!

Glad to hear you are still going strong! How are you feeling today?

The sunset walk sounds amazing! That, and it is nice to hear that you found peace on the 7mg - hopefully it will continue this way for you. If not, have no shame as you slap on a 14mg, this is a marathon not a sprint!

How is your husband doing, has he hit any road blocks in his quit? You guys are the power quit couple of the forum! :) 

Hope you have an easy day! 

Lubbercat

Jul-28

Tiny

How are you doing today?  Thrilled to hear you finally found some peace before bed.  I am stepping down tomorrow, decided since I am working from home today that I should wait till tomorrow.  I wish sometimes that I lived in a neighborhood.  Where I live you would be risking your life to walk on the street and there is no sidewalk.  If I was more energetic, I might consider driving to the park to walk and my dogs would love that.

TinyBadger

Jul-28

I feel so much better today! Things seem easier, I'm less cranky and not dying to stuff everything I can in my mouth. My husband is doing great. The last couple days he's been a huge cheerleader and supporter. He keeps telling me that we can do this together. He quit cold turkey, but man, he struggled. I'm so grateful for nrt. Cold turkey is definitely not for everyone. The sunset was lovely, we live in a neighborhood where the roads are very wide and paved, but no sidewalks. I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize and keep my momentum going. I think today will be a better day. 

TinyBadger

Jul-28

Sorry, I forgot to CC you on the above message. Thanks for giving a hoot, it means a lot to me