About Smoking Cessation Forum

Hosted by Terry (abquitsmking)

Formerly known as the About.com Smoking Cessation support forum, this community is open to all who are recovering from nicotine addiction.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Anybody use Wellbutrin?   General Chit-Chat

Started Aug-13 by Loreficent; 240 views.
Loreficent

Aug-13

Hi All,

A friend of mine in another state asked me about Wellbutrin for smoking cessation. I used NRT but no meds. So I’m putting this out there to ask if anyone has had experience with it? Also...she said her doctor told her she can use the patch AND Wellbutrin. Has anyone done that? I looked it up and it says you can, but...I’m a bit confused as to why you would if the Wellbutrin is supposed to block the nicotine cravings...why add the nicotine patch?

Anyway...thanks for any feedback! 

Came back to add I’m not sure why Wellbutrin instead of Chantix. I see folks experiences with Chantix here but not sure if anyone has used the Wellbutrin.... I know it is still used too though...

Eve1973

Aug-13

I used Wellbutrin a few years back, still smoked like a chimney with it. Did absolutely nothing for me.  It used by itself, don’t think as powerful as Chantix, but you don’t get the side affects you get with Chantix. So makes sense to take with something but then why take at all?

Just one person’s experience!

Loreficent

Aug-13

That was what I was wondering..if she is gonna use the patch, why both? But maybe the Wellbutrin would help with some of the depression some folks get with quitting...?

Eve1973

Aug-13

Maybe.....not sure

euknight

Aug-14

Hi Lore,

Lol.  I did that.  I met with Dr before I started any of it and told him I was starting with using the patch but wanted to use Wellbutrin as well if I could.  I smoked my brains out on Wellbutrin before too but this time with the patch if there was any Increased  chance of  a successful quit by taking it as well, I wanted it.  So he has me on it for 3 months....which is over and just got another bottle in the mail so need to call and see what he says...maybe I misunderstood.

That’s all I know so far.

Pegy

5-8-20

SusanK1960

Aug-14

I tried Wellbutrin about 15 years ago.  I remember that it made me feel agitated, which was very unusual for me, so I quit taking it, and didn’t stop smoking.  

Loreficent

Aug-14

My friend said she knew someone that had that experience so that’s why she asked me. I’m not sure she is really ready to quit...

Thanks Susan!

candrew

Aug-14

Hi Lor -

I have used Wellbutrin on and off for 20 years for depression. I believe  it was called Xyban in those days. 

I can't say it was any help stopping smoking But then and again was not trying  to quit. If I were to tell you which one I would recommend. Chantix would be my choice. 

Andrew

August  3rd, 2020

Loreficent

Aug-14

Hi Andrew,

Good to see you back!

Thank you for the info. I was wondering if that is why her doc said she could use patch too. Maybe the Wellbutrin was for smoking cessation related depression. I am not sure she gave me a lot of the back story, which is fine. She may not be at the point to commit. 
Are you using Chantix this time? Just keep doing it. I know it is hard, but so far no regrets and very worth it.